Toni the Superhero

Use this forum to discuss the July 2018 Book of the Month "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base
P Reefer
Favorite Book: The Lost Identity Casualties
Currently Reading: De Facto Feminisn
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-p-reefer.html
Latest Review: The McCoys Before The Feud by Thomas McCoy

Re: Toni the Superhero

Post by P Reefer »

ea-antony

The book is quite short approx 67 words, and it will take less than five mins to read. Funny enough there is no formal, strict divide in my culture either. However, there is that informal culture which encourages the girls to do the indoor household tasks and the boys to engage in the outdoor tasks of bin emptying and yard cleaning, etc.
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

For me, I love to see all kids doing all types of chores. It will better prepare them for life, to be a better spouse and a better member of society.
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

Helen_Combe wrote: 01 Jul 2018, 05:31
Bookmermaid wrote: 01 Jul 2018, 04:37 In my culture as well a female can get into any job for which she is qualified. However, many males still hold stereotypes of boy' s tasks as oppose to girls. Toni the Superhero doing those roles translates to Toni the sissy. Thanks for sharing.
Then I’m charging you with the job of breaking that stereotype :wink:
In our culture such stereotypes are limited to some classes. But overall girls can qualify for all kind of jobs without gender segregation.
The author does well by presenting Toni doing household chores and helping his mother.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

stacie k wrote: 14 Jul 2018, 00:44 For me, I love to see all kids doing all types of chores. It will better prepare them for life, to be a better spouse and a better member of society.
I 100% agree with you :) . Girls and boys should be treated equally. But naturally some roles are designed for women and they can do it perfectly; and some roles are designed for men and they can can do it well. So it's a balance created by God. If both genders play their role properly there will be no grievances at all.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

While I understand that gender stereotypes vary by culture, I believe we have a responsibility to teach our children to help others. We teach by example when it comes to non-gender chores.
Brittany J
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brittany-j.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Brittany J »

I have never considered specific chores to be designated to girls or boys. You are right though, they are in many places. However, if a family doesn't have either girls or boys, I think whatever children they have will be doing everything. I truly hope parents aren't deterred by this. If children are beginning to get this notion that there are girl chores and boy chores, maybe this book will help dispel that.
cpru68
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 179
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

I think that in America, we have gone past the idea of ”woman’s” work. However, if a culture would find this not to their traditions, then with all things, don't read it to your children. I think that is up to the individual family as to what they believe in and incorporate for their children. I, for one, believe that Toni’s actions around the house show his willingness to help. And, I think most people desire this from their children.
Everything happens for a reason...
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

Sarah Tariq wrote: 14 Jul 2018, 08:32
stacie k wrote: 14 Jul 2018, 00:44 For me, I love to see all kids doing all types of chores. It will better prepare them for life, to be a better spouse and a better member of society.
I 100% agree with you :) . Girls and boys should be treated equally. But naturally some roles are designed for women and they can do it perfectly; and some roles are designed for men and they can can do it well. So it's a balance created by God. If both genders play their role properly there will be no grievances at all.
I agree with you, too! In our home we tend to take on traditional roles/chores, but I am delighted when my husband gives me a break by cooking or doing the dishes. In the same way, I choose to free him up by mowing the lawn sometimes, too. That was the thinking behind my statement that kids should learn all kinds of chores.
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
Dahmy 10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dahmy-10.html
Latest Review: First Family by Alice Langholt

Post by Dahmy 10 »

I actually didn't see things from this perspective. I just liked the book. I would as an uncle share it any day with my nephew. On a personal note though, I don't think there was a strictly girl's activities therein. I believe the culture I come from would agree with me.
Eileen R
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Currently Reading: Toni the Superhero
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eileen-r.html
Latest Review: Manifesto for a Cancer Patient by Colleen Huber, NMD

Post by Eileen R »

I think the chores he does seem gender neutral to me. However this could just be my coloured view due to the way I was brought up.
chupke07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chupke07.html
Latest Review: Metaphase by Mitchel Street

Post by chupke07 »

For me, it would be a great reason to give the book to my child. I could however understand how it could be a problem for some people from some cultures. I would hope that in a few years this question would not even be something that anyone considers.
Gikonyo Caroline
Currently Reading: Big Things Have Small Beginnings
Bookshelf Size: 351
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gikonyo-caroline.html
Latest Review: Concealment by Rose Edmunds

Post by Gikonyo Caroline »

Yes I think so especially in certain countries where gender roles are strictly upheld and passed on. For example in these countries the kitchen is perceived as a woman's place or house chores are predominantly perceived as women roles that are passed on to the girls by the women in the house hold. However majority of the book's content will not be prejudiced by such cultural traditions.
Nerea
Favorite Author: William H. Coles
Favorite Book: Diamond and Pearls
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 672
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerea.html
Latest Review: Little White Lies by JC Anderson
Reading Device: Laptop
fav_author_id: 89641
Signature Addition: No Wahala

Post by Nerea »

Reply: Toni the superhero by R.D. Base
Am a little bit puzzled by the concept in this book. How can an imperfect child manifest some super powers or is this an illusion kind of story?! [*]My take[*]
No Wahala
Miercoles
Favorite Book: The Prize
Currently Reading: The Second Eve
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miercoles.html
Latest Review: Business Basics BootCamp by Mitche Graf

Post by Miercoles »

In my culture there are no longer male or female chores. Boys and girls learn to do their share of cleaning, washing, cooking and other household chores. However, there still exist some cultures and religions which have strict rules regarding the activities of males and females, and this could be a factor which they consider when deciding whether to purchase the book.
Anthony Martial Tata
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony-martial-tata.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Anthony Martial Tata »

Traditionally, participating in girls chores would have made Tony an object of ridicule and mockery. However, time have changed and today there is no strict line drawn between activities performed girls or boys. Children should be prepared to do whatever comes their way from an early age.

Return to “Discuss "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base”