Toni the Superhero

Use this forum to discuss the July 2018 Book of the Month "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Re: Toni the Superhero

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

Bookmermaid wrote: โ†‘01 Jul 2018, 03:14 Do you think Toni's participating in what was traditionally strictly girls' chores in many cultures be a deterrent or a catalyst for either a father or mother to share this book with his or her boy child ? :techie-studyingbrown:
I think chores are defined in later stages. At this stage both boys and girls like to do house chores by following mother or father. So I think children will take interest in looking all this.
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

bclayton13 wrote: โ†‘01 Jul 2018, 17:38 I think it would be. I'm an American but my family lives in a very rural area, so the gender roles are still kinda set here. I think a little boy growing up with this would break that mold a little and that's definitely a positive thing. Growing up in the city, I get mad when we're hosting a party and not a single man helps cook or clean up after because it's "woman's work". Ugh. Maybe a little boy pitching in would make them more ashamed of themselves for being lazy!
I think better thing is to divide the duties. :) Suppose man will bring all the things required to make a meal from their money and woman can cook. Anyways it's not a hard and fast rule. In our culture mostly women cook. But man also help in one way or the other. This book is avoid example in this regard.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

๐Ÿ“•๐Ÿ“–๐Ÿ“ฐ๐Ÿ““๐Ÿ“•
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

[bn=][/bn]
Cecilia_L wrote: โ†‘14 Jul 2018, 15:29 While I understand that gender stereotypes vary by culture, I believe we have a responsibility to teach our children to help others. We teach by example when it comes to non-gender chores.
Of coarse ender roles vary by culture, I am view both girls and boys should be taught all chores. So that they could them, if required later in life.

๐Ÿ“•๐Ÿ“–๐Ÿ“ฐ๐Ÿ““๐Ÿ“•
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

MsTri wrote: โ†‘01 Jul 2018, 12:31
AmySmiles wrote: โ†‘01 Jul 2018, 09:25 Growing up I remember males and females doing chores no matter what they were. It seemed to me like when it came to adults is when the gender roles broke out. I guess it is different from everyone's perspective.
That's how it was when I was growing up; my mother made sure that BOTH my brother and I learned to cook, clean, do laundry, iron, darn socks, etc. We both also had to mow the lawn and learn to change a tire... Just what the heck do these men think they're going to do between living at home and being married? What about confirmed bachelors? It's just mind-boggling.
Hmm, bachelors have to all tasks by themselves. They can't get help of their spouse. So we see such men cooking cleaning or what so ever. And the same case is with a women as they get expert in doing all sort male chores.

๐Ÿ“•๐Ÿ“–๐Ÿ“ฐ๐Ÿ““๐Ÿ“•
[Valerie Allen]
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 773
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-allen.html
Latest Review: Utopia Project by Billy Dering

Post by [Valerie Allen] »

Oh, wow! That's a great question that I did not think of or take into consideration. I do, however, believe it's a good example for both boy and girl.
Last edited by gali on 02 Aug 2018, 00:02, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Self-promoting
And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. (Revelation 20:12 (NKJV) :reading-7:
P Reefer
Favorite Book: The Lost Identity Casualties
Currently Reading: De Facto Feminisn
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-p-reefer.html
Latest Review: The McCoys Before The Feud by Thomas McCoy

Post by P Reefer »

Sarah Tariq wrote: โ†‘31 Jul 2018, 23:47
Bookmermaid wrote: โ†‘01 Jul 2018, 03:14 Do you think Toni's participating in what was traditionally strictly girls' chores in many cultures be a deterrent or a catalyst for either a father or mother to share this book with his or her boy child ? :techie-studyingbrown:
I think chores are defined in later stages. At this stage both boys and girls like to do house chores by following mother or father. So I think children will take interest in looking all this.
I do agree there is that stage in which children are eager to do any task, When both parents are home if the father is doing outdoor chores the son is often trailing behind, observing and sometimes being taught these tasks.
Rosehibbard
Currently Reading: Goodnight Irene
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosehibbard.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Rosehibbard »

OK I don't think it's a problem to teach a boy to handle house chores. Girls and boys these days are doing the same chores.
v i n
Favorite Book: Roadmap to the End of Days
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-v-i-n.html
Latest Review: Our pastor has gone mad again by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by v i n »

It is healthy in the modern world, here no duty is designed for a particular gender. I disagree...
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

This is an interesting question. I did not see in Toni's chores anything exclusive to females.I guess it depends on the parents' point-of-view as well. If cooperation prevails in the domestic environment, things will go smoothly and the parents will not refrain from reading the book and sharing it with their kids.
David Horta Alonso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-horta-alonso.html

Post by David Horta Alonso »

I do not think so. Parents rarely get influenced by the activities of their children. Maybe it could influence the behavioural pattern of the children reading the book.
Marcos Vera
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marcos-vera.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by Marcos Vera »

The book is a clear reflection of today's society. Chores are not strictly defined as per gender as was the case in trading societies.
David Horta Alonso
Currently Reading:

Times have changed and so do the societal roles. Chores as not strictly defined as was in the traditional society setting. Toni actions is thus a reflection of the society today.
amsula_2018
Favorite Book: Angels & Demons
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amsula-2018.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia

Post by amsula_2018 »

bookowlie wrote: โ†‘01 Jul 2018, 08:49 I didn't view the chores Toni did as traditionally male or female. It's fairly common for kids of either gender to be told to dust, wash the dishes, etc.
I totally agree with you. Most children are told to do household chores at early age to inculcate the attitude of being responsible. There are no chores that are traditionally male or female chores, its just a matter of perception. โ˜บ
"If you can't reduce your argument to a few crisp words and phrases,
there's something wrong with your argument." ~ M. Saatchi
David Horta Alonso
Currently Reading:

It would be a catalyst. Parents want their children to be well versed in all chores notwithstanding the societal stereotypes on the job.
Raya raymond
Currently Reading: One for the Road
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raya-raymond.html
Latest Review: Triumph Over Tears by Nava Chernoff

Post by Raya raymond »

Eva Darrington wrote: โ†‘27 Jul 2018, 01:16
Gravy wrote: โ†‘01 Jul 2018, 03:57 I feel so badly for kids whose parents can't see the pain they put their kids through. And even worse for those whose parents just don't care, as long as they don't go against the status quo.
This is one of the things I love about these books. In many ways, they defy tradition. The diversity, the non-traditional gender roles. I really like it and I think this age is the right time to start promoting the acceptance and normalization of differences and individuality. I do love Toni! Even his name is spelled using the more usual spelling for a girl Toni.
I couldn't agree more. I think Toni is a great role model for kids.

Return to โ€œDiscuss "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Baseโ€