Toni the Superhero

Use this forum to discuss the July 2018 Book of the Month "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base
P Reefer
Favorite Book: The Lost Identity Casualties
Currently Reading: De Facto Feminisn
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-p-reefer.html
Latest Review: The McCoys Before The Feud by Thomas McCoy

Toni the Superhero

Post by P Reefer »

Do you think Toni's participating in what was traditionally strictly girls' chores in many cultures be a deterrent or a catalyst for either a father or mother to share this book with his or her boy child ? :techie-studyingbrown:
Aisha Nelofer
Currently Reading: Three Wishes
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-nelofer.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by Aisha Nelofer »

Actually there was no work designed to be done only by a girls. Girls are printing their footprints in all walks of life. They are also working nowadays which was traditionally boy's chores. Nothing is permanent except a change.
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Bookmermaid wrote: 01 Jul 2018, 03:14 Do you think Toni's participating in what was traditionally strictly girls' chores in many cultures be a deterrent or a catalyst for either a father or mother to share this book with his or her boy child ? :techie-studyingbrown:
It’s an interesting question. In the West, such distinctions are being broken down all the time. We now have female fire fighters and male nurses. I would hope that in other cultures, this book will be a catalyst.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

Sadly, many cultures still impose sterotypical gender roles, to the detriment of the child, and sometimes to the people who have to deal with them later in life.

I had a friend when I was younger. He loved to play "girls" games. House, dolls, etc...
He also had to live with an abusive step father who hated this about him.

There are no "boys" chores or "girls" chores, and knowing that this book defies gender stereotypes would be a point in for it, in my opinion.

However, there are those, such as the man I mentioned, who probably wouldn't want it in their house.

I feel so badly for kids whose parents can't see the pain they put their kids through. And even worse for those whose parents just don't care, as long as they don't go against the status quo.
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
P Reefer

Post by P Reefer »

Helen_Combe wrote: 01 Jul 2018, 03:56
Bookmermaid wrote: 01 Jul 2018, 03:14 Do you think Toni's participating in what was traditionally strictly girls' chores in many cultures be a deterrent or a catalyst for either a father or mother to share this book with his or her boy child ? :techie-studyingbrown:
It’s an interesting question. In the West, such distinctions are being broken down all the time. We now have female fire fighters and male nurses. I would hope that in other cultures, this book will be a catalyst.
In my culture as well a female can get into any job for which she is qualified. However, many males still hold stereotypes of boy' s tasks as oppose to girls. Toni the Superhero doing those roles translates to Toni the sissy. Thanks for sharing.
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Bookmermaid wrote: 01 Jul 2018, 04:37 In my culture as well a female can get into any job for which she is qualified. However, many males still hold stereotypes of boy' s tasks as oppose to girls. Toni the Superhero doing those roles translates to Toni the sissy. Thanks for sharing.
Then I’m charging you with the job of breaking that stereotype :wink:
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
P Reefer

Post by P Reefer »

Helen_Combe wrote: 01 Jul 2018, 05:31
Bookmermaid wrote: 01 Jul 2018, 04:37 In my culture as well a female can get into any job for which she is qualified. However, many males still hold stereotypes of boy' s tasks as oppose to girls. Toni the Superhero doing those roles translates to Toni the sissy. Thanks for sharing.
Then I’m charging you with the job of breaking that stereotype :wink:
Its easier said that done, as long as the male figures in the house sleeps, watches TV or reads newspapers while mom and sisters cooks, sweeps and clean, it will continue to be a battle. I m up to the task in my classrooms of changing puerile mindsets.
P Reefer

Post by P Reefer »

Aisha Nelofer wrote: 01 Jul 2018, 03:24 Actually there was no work designed to be done only by a girls. Girls are printing their footprints in all walks of life. They are also working nowadays which was traditionally boy's chores. Nothing is permanent except a change.
I quite agree. But it is certainly not the mindset of many males, in many cultures.
P Reefer

Post by P Reefer »

Gravy wrote: 01 Jul 2018, 03:57 Sadly, many cultures still impose sterotypical gender roles, to the detriment of the child, and sometimes to the people who have to deal with them later in life.

I had a friend when I was younger. He loved to play "girls" games. House, dolls, etc...
He also had to live with an abusive step father who hated this about him.

There are no "boys" chores or "girls" chores, and knowing that this book defies gender stereotypes would be a point in for it, in my opinion.

However, there are those, such as the man I mentioned, who probably wouldn't want it in their house.

I feel so badly for kids whose parents can't see the pain they put their kids through. And even worse for those whose parents just don't care, as long as they don't go against the status quo.
Its a sad cycle as these men will sometimes make poor companions or helpers when the greatest assistance needed may be in small everyday tasks rather than in the traditional male chores of fixing roof or plumbing which they very often can't do.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

I didn't view the chores Toni did as traditionally male or female. It's fairly common for kids of either gender to be told to dust, wash the dishes, etc.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Aisha Nelofer
Currently Reading: Three Wishes
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-nelofer.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by Aisha Nelofer »

Yeah i agree wih you it is not the mindset of many males. But still there.. I want this to be not the mindset of all males.
AmySmiles
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

Growing up I remember males and females doing chores no matter what they were. It seemed to me like when it came to adults is when the gender roles broke out. I guess it is different from everyone's perspective.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Hopefully, in this society, people are generally viewing women as being equal to men. I suppose it depends on the parent; if the parent holds sexist views, I suppose he/she would refrain from sharing the book and vice versa. It is a topic that needs to be addressed with people of all ages.
MsTri
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1030
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

AmySmiles wrote: 01 Jul 2018, 09:25 Growing up I remember males and females doing chores no matter what they were. It seemed to me like when it came to adults is when the gender roles broke out. I guess it is different from everyone's perspective.
That's how it was when I was growing up; my mother made sure that BOTH my brother and I learned to cook, clean, do laundry, iron, darn socks, etc. We both also had to mow the lawn and learn to change a tire... Just what the heck do these men think they're going to do between living at home and being married? What about confirmed bachelors? It's just mind-boggling.
palilogy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-palilogy.html
Latest Review: Mistress Suffragette by Diana Forbes

Post by palilogy »

I'm from New York where everything goes - so I noticed nothing wrong during this book.
Perhaps from a different readers perspective?

Return to “Discuss "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base”