Toni the Superhero

Use this forum to discuss the July 2018 Book of the Month "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base
David Horta Alonso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-horta-alonso.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Re: Toni the Superhero

Post by David Horta Alonso »

It is surely a catalyst for all parents to share the book. Children must learn all chores from an early age.
Raya raymond
Currently Reading: One for the Road
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raya-raymond.html
Latest Review: Triumph Over Tears by Nava Chernoff

Post by Raya raymond »

David Horta Alonso wrote: 18 Aug 2018, 09:29 It is surely a catalyst for all parents to share the book. Children must learn all chores from an early age.
I feel the same way.
Sicily Joy
Currently Reading: Becoming
Bookshelf Size: 906
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sicily-joy.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Sicily Joy »

Bookmermaid wrote: 01 Jul 2018, 03:14 Do you think Toni's participating in what was traditionally strictly girls' chores in many cultures be a deterrent or a catalyst for either a father or mother to share this book with his or her boy child ? :techie-studyingbrown:
Great question. I never thought about the gender dynamics of the book. I think it is important that boys be seen doing " girls things". In the book, this is not only cleaning but also caring for others and most importantly reading. In the USA, boys read less than girls on average. Therefore, it is probably a good idea for parents to have books like this one to help crush unhealthy gender roles.
P Reefer
Favorite Book: The Lost Identity Casualties
Currently Reading: De Facto Feminisn
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-p-reefer.html
Latest Review: The McCoys Before The Feud by Thomas McCoy

Post by P Reefer »

In my culture as well girls are often attaining higher grades than boys in many subjects including reading.
chukwudi james
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by chukwudi james »

Actually there was no work designed to be done only by a girls. Girls are printing their footprints in all walks of life. They are also working nowadays which was traditionally boy's chores. Nothing is permanent except a change.
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 958
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

I don't think that the chores Tony did were traditionally girl's chores. In my country, dusting, washing dishes etc are not gender specific chores, especially for kids. Though other cultures may have varying perspectives on this matter. So it depends whether this matter would become a deterrent or a catalyst to share the book with a boy child.
Henry-Authentic
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Henry-Authentic »

Helen_Combe wrote: 01 Jul 2018, 03:56
Bookmermaid wrote: 01 Jul 2018, 03:14 Do you think Toni's participating in what was traditionally strictly girls' chores in many cultures be a deterrent or a catalyst for either a father or mother to share this book with his or her boy child ? :techie-studyingbrown:
It’s an interesting question. In the West, such distinctions are being broken down all the time. We now have female fire fighters and male nurses. I would hope that in other cultures, this book will be a catalyst.
yeah this book is not just a book but it holds some super moralities which should have to be made known to young offsprings... Nice one.
Oulababe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oulababe.html
Latest Review: Invisible Me by H M Irwing

Post by Oulababe »

I think it should be what motivates parents to buy this book for their kids. Toni is a great example.
Alicia09
Currently Reading: The Cartel Crusher
Bookshelf Size: 270
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alicia09.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Alicia09 »

It's hard to imagine that any chores are "girl" chores because if anyone wants to avoid living in filth, they will have to clean up after themselves at some point in time. This is especially true for men who live alone. Eventually they will have to either clean up after themselves or hire someone else to clean, which can become expensive over time.
As for young boys, I don't think young boys would mind seeing Toni doing chores but they might complain there is no action at all in the book. They might also complain that there is no mention of superpowers, and they might also complain that there are no scenes that show Toni fighting crime. I'm a woman and even I was disappointed that I never saw any superpowers or action in the book.
:character-ariel:
Amelia Suratos
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amelia-suratos.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia

Post by Amelia Suratos »

I think it doesn't matter really. The last time I checked, chores doesn't choose of who does it.
Ahshee
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ahshee »

Gender that is not the issue,
Boys and Girls are equal we can do the same if we want to,in our family our parents teach us to do house hold chores because they believe that we have to be responsible specially when we are going to get married in the future i also believe that it works..
BeatrixPotter
Favorite Book: A Higher Loyalty
Currently Reading: The Nightingale
Bookshelf Size: 179
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beatrixpotter.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by BeatrixPotter »

Aisha Nelofer wrote: 01 Jul 2018, 03:24 Actually there was no work designed to be done only by a girls. Girls are printing their footprints in all walks of life. They are also working nowadays which was traditionally boy's chores. Nothing is permanent except a change.
Hi Aisha,

Good thought! I agree.

When both spouses are working, many couples today are negotiating and sharing the housework.
"There's so much more to a book than just the reading."
-- Maurice Sendak
Verna Coy
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-verna-coy.html
Latest Review: The Fate of AI Society by Kenneth Hamer-Hodges

Post by Verna Coy »

I don't think cleaning and helping Mom is just strictly a girl chore. I believe all children love to help Mom. Boys can clean too. I like the message of working together that this book sends, as simple as it is.
Bisqwik
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bisqwik.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Bisqwik »

Some communities do still mark certain jobs as male or female. It's often things that everyone should know anyway. Cooking, changing a tire. What have you.
Maybe if it isn't relatable to boys or young men then maybe that will be something they realize they don't know how to do and address it?

Return to “Discuss "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base”