Opinions on the cover and ilustrations

Use this forum to discuss the July 2018 Book of the Month "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base
Cristal2408
Favorite Book: Magic Shifts
Currently Reading: El honor perdido de Katharina Blum
Bookshelf Size: 463
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristal2408.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
Reading Device: B00TSUGXKE

Opinions on the cover and ilustrations

Post by Cristal2408 »

This is a discussion on the cover and illustrations. Did you like how the cover was done? Do you think the illustrations can have an effect on children's behavior? According to the author, the book was written in order to give children confidence while reading, do you think the illustrations help make that happen?
It's no use to go back to yesterday... I was a different person then.---Lewis Carrol from Alice in Wonderland
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

I loved the cover, especially the way it brought together all of the topics inside the book. I also like the way the illustrations link to the writing, reinforcing the words with the action.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 685
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

The drawings are wonderful. Since this is for babies, the children can look at the pictures and accurately guess what Toni is doing. These are everyday activities that they see and do.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

I loved the illustrations as it would be easy for a young child to figure out what Toni was doing in each picture. That's so important when a child is learning to read. As Miriam mentioned, even a baby or toddler could figure each action out. This way kids can get interested in books even before they are old enough to have the skills to read.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Azeline Arcenal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zenalei7.html
Latest Review: Christmas in the Kingdom of Kool by Joan J. Harris

Post by Azeline Arcenal »

I really like the illustrations in this book. They are very bright and colorful and each picture helps to illustrate what Toni is doing. The pictures can help kids to figure what the sentences are based on the activities that Toni is doing.
“The only important thing in a book is the meaning that it has for you.” - W. Somerset Maugham
MsTri
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1030
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

I too thought the cover and pictures were very well done. Children for whom this book is intended love all of the color. Even beyond that, as I noted in my review, "a couple of pictures don't even have words, they're just for looking at. In several instances, it's clear that the pictures are a continuation from the previous page and even though it's just okay in the .pdf version, I imagine that it makes for a very nice two-page spread in the print version."
KatSims92
Currently Reading: The Beauty Myth
Bookshelf Size: 451
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katsims92.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller

Post by KatSims92 »

I really liked the cover as well, and the illustrations really evoke a sense of confidence and strength. I think that's really important for a child's storybook because it helps illustrate how reading is supposed to make you feel, and the pictures match that.
Kmykel
Favorite Author: Margaret Peterson Haddix
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kmykel.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
fav_author_id: 3525

Post by Kmykel »

I'm going to be the odd one out here, but I thought the illustrations were far too simple. I speak as a cartoonist myself (be it not a professional one), and I thought they were just a wasted opportunity. A book like this needs big, beautiful, detailed pictures and these look unprofessional and sloppy. There was a nice sense of movement, but that's about the only positive thing I can say about it.
Katherine Smith
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 524">Nancy Drew</a>
Currently Reading: The Complete Tales and Poems of Edgar Allen Poe
Bookshelf Size: 504
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katherine-smith.html
Latest Review: "Whisky tango foxtrot...copy" by John regan
Reading Device: B01KVZV52A

Post by Katherine Smith »

I like that the cover of the book is beautiful and the illustrations are the main reason why I love children's books. Children's books allow young readers to easily visualize the story and feel more confident with their reading skills. I think that the author did a great job including the illustrations.
Latest Review: "Whisky tango foxtrot...copy" by John regan
palilogy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-palilogy.html
Latest Review: Mistress Suffragette by Diana Forbes

Post by palilogy »

I enjoyed the cover and illustrations.
I thought they were simple and bright.
There can be great enjoyment in small simplicities.
Cristal2408

Post by Cristal2408 »

Kmykel wrote: 01 Jul 2018, 13:24 I'm going to be the odd one out here, but I thought the illustrations were far too simple. I speak as a cartoonist myself (be it not a professional one), and I thought they were just a wasted opportunity. A book like this needs big, beautiful, detailed pictures and these look unprofessional and sloppy. There was a nice sense of movement, but that's about the only positive thing I can say about it.
I agree that the pictures are unprofessional and sloppy, but isn't that the point? It is a children's book after all, and kids don't care for illustration quality. At ages 5 and 6, their drawings are like that too, so it could be a marketing strategy. Parents buy what children want, and a child will most likely choose a book because they liked and felt related to the drawings.
It's no use to go back to yesterday... I was a different person then.---Lewis Carrol from Alice in Wonderland
BookishCoffeeBlog
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookishcoffeeblog.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by BookishCoffeeBlog »

I thought the illustrations were absolutely great! They were dynamic and colorful and they would definitely attract the attention of young children. The colors would let the book pop off the shelf. They were clear in showing what Toni was doing, which would help the children connect the words to the images and learn. They are great for their purpose.
Cristal2408

Post by Cristal2408 »

MsTri wrote: 01 Jul 2018, 12:39 I too thought the cover and pictures were very well done. Children for whom this book is intended love all of the color. Even beyond that, as I noted in my review, "a couple of pictures don't even have words, they're just for looking at. In several instances, it's clear that the pictures are a continuation from the previous page and even though it's just okay in the .pdf version, I imagine that it makes for a very nice two-page spread in the print version."
I hadn't noticed that pictures were part of a continuation. That's great! After reading your comment I put it on double slideshow and the continuation looks very pretty.
bclayton13
Currently Reading: Roanoke
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bclayton13.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Post by bclayton13 »

I think the illustrations are very basic, which is kind of the point. It's very easy to tell what Toni is doing and it connects with the words in the book. So, all in all, it's great for the target audience and for non-English speakers who are just learning.
kfwilson6
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

I love how colorful and simplistic the illustrations are. Did anyone else notice the crayons are "super" crayons and on page 16 when Toni likes to dance there are pictures hanging on the living room wall which are pages out of this book! I thought those things were cute, clever additions to the illustrations.

Return to “Discuss "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base”