Overall rating and opinion of "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base

Use this forum to discuss the July 2018 Book of the Month "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base
JuliaKay
Currently Reading: The Black Witch
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliakay.html
Latest Review: I Am Not Gog by Matthew James Hunt

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base

Post by JuliaKay »

This is a book that I read and reviewed. I thought it would be great for kids because of the superhero aspect and the bright pictures. It would also be good for teaching young children sight words.
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, said Jojen. The man who never reads lives only one.”
― George R.R. Martin, A Dance with Dragons
meadhbh
Currently Reading: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meadhbh.html
Latest Review: The Last Rite by Chad Morgan

Post by meadhbh »

I gave this book four stars. It's fun, colourful, and does what it sets out to do
Dahmy 10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dahmy-10.html
Latest Review: First Family by Alice Langholt

Post by Dahmy 10 »

I went through the book some days ago and I found it so captivating especially for the little child. I couldn't help but rate it 4 out of 4 stars.

I loved the pictures, it expresses the message the author is trying to pass across to the little child. The simple grammar also is something that makes the book convenient for two little child to read.

In regard to what I didn't like, there was none. The author did an amazing job in my humble opinion.
Eileen R
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Currently Reading: Toni the Superhero
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eileen-r.html
Latest Review: Manifesto for a Cancer Patient by Colleen Huber, NMD

Post by Eileen R »

I have yet to write a review of this book so I'll just give a quick summary of my thoughts. I personally found it boring and quite repetitive. The illustrations were ok but other than that its nothing to write home about.
Elisetitania
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Elisetitania »

This could be a great book to discuss inside and outside the class. It poses a good lesson not only to children but also for adults (especially parents) to encourage their children to engage in outdoor activities like playing games with other children, making friends, and reading and sharing the book they like just like what Toni did. :) We see children nowadays tend to play inside the house by themselves with the help of electronics and other computer generated plays for leisure time which in turn hinder them to develop their communication skills thereby decreasing their chances to build self-confidence through friendships and interaction with other children and people :( :( :( #SADTRUTH
Gikonyo Caroline
Currently Reading: Big Things Have Small Beginnings
Bookshelf Size: 351
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gikonyo-caroline.html
Latest Review: Concealment by Rose Edmunds

Post by Gikonyo Caroline »

I rate this book a 4 star. I loved its simplicity and the pictures aredescrptive andccommunicative enough for the kids who learn better by visuals. I loved the depicting of Toni as an ordinary superhero teaching Kids the true meaning of being a hero that's our heroes are humans and we shouldn't perceive them as gods and doing ordinary things well is heroic. Yes I would recommend this book to parents and teachers nurturing children who don't know how to read yet. I didn't find anything that I didn't like about it
lesler
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lesler.html
Latest Review: Confrontations by Donald J Williamson
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by lesler »

I loved this book, and enjoyed how positive the main message was. This book is perfect for my Kindergarteners who are emergent readers.
Amy+++
Favorite Book: The Mister
Currently Reading: Last Chance Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 218
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B01CRGNO4S

Post by Amy+++ »

The book sounds great. Can anyone tell me how long the book is? When it showed up last time for me to review it said that it had over 1,000 pages. Is that true or is it just a typo.
Charlaigne
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlaigne.html
Latest Review: Reaching the Shore by Davin Jake Douma and BonnieJane Hall

Post by Charlaigne »

That's a typo Amy. Each page has a short sentence. It should only take a few minutes to read.
kemp1kor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kemp1kor.html
Latest Review: Temptation Trials Revolution by B. Truly
Reading Device: B00GNKRFEA

Post by kemp1kor »

I haven't read the whole book, despite its short length, but from what I've seen I believe it's a good book for young children. There are plenty of colorful pictures to go along with the story and add to the entertainment value and also important lessons to be learned.
ea_anthony
Favorite Book: Praying successfully
Currently Reading: Prisoners of Geography
Bookshelf Size: 650
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ea-anthony.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by ea_anthony »

kfwilson6 wrote: 01 Jul 2018, 20:23 I have yet to write my review for this book, but I believe I will be giving it 3 out of 4 stars. If this is the first book in a series about Toni the SUPERHERO and that is the title of this particular book, then I believe Base should have depicted Toni as a superhero in this first book rather than an everyday kid. She could have given the series this title and named the first book something else so as not to lead readers to think we are getting a more traditional superhero narrative. I also don't think the "Toni likes to rescue animals" was in keeping with the other things he likes to do. It gives the impression the author is going to provide a list of superhero activities, but she actually starts listing things kids do with friends for fun and chores they might do around the house. I also think the age group targeted is probably 2-4 year olds, those whose parents are starting to teach them to read. However, the chores that Toni does are not things kids of that age would do. They would do things like pick up their toys. Dusting? I doubt it.

I like the lessons that Base is going for though. I think the idea of using a superhero as a role model for good behaviors parents would like their kids to follow is wonderful. Afterall, many of us adults really love superhero tv shows, movies, and stories.

I do like the illustrations. They are simple and bright. I think children might enjoy picking out items in the pictures and indicating what they are called.

This is just a personal nitpick, Toni with an "i" is a female Toni, Tony with a "y" is a male Toni. I don't really understand that.
I just checked wikipaedia, Toni is actually unisex. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toni . I just got my copy and also yet to do my review, however the illustrations are quite eye catching, I really liked it. "Toni likes to rescue animals" seems a tad going overboard. I will keep an open mind and go through the book. Cheers.
Ignorance promotes divisiveness, knowledge encourages diversity. :techie-studyingbrown:
ea_anthony
Favorite Book: Praying successfully
Currently Reading: Prisoners of Geography
Bookshelf Size: 650
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ea-anthony.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by ea_anthony »

meadhbh wrote: 16 Jul 2018, 04:45 I gave this book four stars. It's fun, colourful, and does what it sets out to do
Colourful, I agree. What does the book set out to do? A good guess would be;
1. R.D Base wanted to get the kids in the reading bracket interested in books.
2. Create a paradigm shift for kids to enable them see performing ordinary everyday chores as heroic.
3. Give little kids a model for good behaviour (Toni the Superhero)

And maybe one or two other reasons close to her heart. As per Toni being black, I do not want to think it has any undertone beyond being the colour R.D Base wanted to be comfortable with.
Ignorance promotes divisiveness, knowledge encourages diversity. :techie-studyingbrown:
TaaraLynn
Currently Reading: To Selena, With Love
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taaralynn.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by TaaraLynn »

MsTri wrote: 01 Jul 2018, 11:40 I too read and reviewed this book, and I gave it 4 out of 4 stars. To quote myself, "As they read together, parents can discuss the fun activities their children like and perhaps compare the activities they like to the ones Toni likes. Parents can additionally take the opportunity to discuss chores around the house and how the child can do them with a smile like Toni does." I also thought the pictures were perfect and "are appropriate for the accompanying words and give young readers plenty to look at; in fact, a couple of pictures don't even have words, they're just for looking at."
Yes! This is the kind of book, I would love to share with my children! I'm excited just to read this for myself and pass it on. It seems most have enjoyed this read.
"Maybe the two different worlds we lived in weren't so different. We saw the same sunset." - Ponyboy Curtis, The Outsiders
Anthony Martial Tata
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony-martial-tata.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Anthony Martial Tata »

I read the review.I think the book is really nice. I would give it a rating of 3 out of 4 stars.
Fu Zaila
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1067
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fuzaila.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Fu Zaila »

Cristal2408 wrote: 01 Jul 2018, 01:24 I rated this book 5 out of 5 stars. My reasoning for this is because I considered it a perfect first read for small children as it is attractive, entertaining and persuasive in a literary way. It is a book I would recommend to young parents to help develop reading skills in children. It is well written and makes good use of all its resources which is great.
Thank you for the recommendation! This book sounds like a great way to brew up reading habits in young kids.
"Create your own identity. Let it be unique for yourself yet identifiable for others." :tiphat:

Return to “Discuss "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base”