Short stories - great or not really?

For June 2018 we will be reading short stories.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Short stories - great or not really?

Post by Heidi M Simone »

What are your thoughts about short stories (<100 pages)? Do you enjoy them? Dislike them? Do you prefer longer reads?

I feel this can go either way for me. Some can be great, but also can be lacking in some areas due to brevity... :eusa-think:
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
jesledes96
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by jesledes96 »

I think there is a lot to be said for authors who can evoke similar feelings in readers through short stories. What I find best, as someone who is about to be an English teacher to middle schoolers, is the ability to really focus on the critical analysis of even the smallest paragraphs in the story.

These pieces are best for helping the young minds imagine how character and plot development, establishing a setting, and so many other literary devices and necessities can be done in a short amount of time. I firmly believe if someone wants to become a writer they should focus on short stories in the beginning of their practices in order to develop those skills on a smaller scale than a regular novel. All in all, short stories are fun and fast paced like the world we live in now.
Ads 1122

Post by Ads 1122 »

Short stories have both advantages and disadvantages. Let me start off with the good points which dominate over the negative ones. Short stories are great for beginners as obviously they cannot yet pick up a hefty 600 paged book so to tug at their attraction short, well written stories are of benefit. Moreover readers who are not ready for the “commitment” of taking on a book series or saga can turn to short stories. The only negative thing with short stories can be that the essence and emotions can sometimes not be captured properly but that only varies with the author. All in all I feel as though short stories are good.
PlanetHauth
Currently Reading: Celebrity
Bookshelf Size: 766
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-planethauth.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by PlanetHauth »

I much prefer longer reads, but I've read some great short stories. However, the short stories that really interested me left me wishing it were longer. I really enjoy when longer novels and series have so much unwritten history that the author adds short stories to the series. It really opens up the world even more.
“Don’t adventures ever have an end? I suppose not. Someone else always has to carry on the story.”
-Bilbo Baggins
RabidFox
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by RabidFox »

Reading short stories makes me feel accomplished. There are so many stories that I have read that only last the length of a single chapter. But they are so diverse and there is so much going on in the characters' heads. It may only be for a brief moment in time, however, it is worth it to keep adding different hues to your thoughts. Like saving pennies in a jar, each short story broadens your mind and, once you've read enough of them, whole new worlds open up through the combination of experiences. And, if you want, you can keep changing things, you can keep rewriting the characters and rewriting the plots. You can just keep altering reality to fit your whims.

Short stories provide a great sense of satisfaction, a feeling that you're always moving forward. A series gives you many things, but a short story can be multiplied in effect so much that an entire series can feel dwarfed in comparison. A few minutes spent in introversion; an unexpected meeting; an intrusive thought; focusing on uncontrollable circumstances; empathizing with a rapidly unfolding tragedy; seeking escape from a bad situation; opening up your heart before closing it again; emotionally painting a painful time; wondering and worrying; and so on. There are so many things that can be explored in ways that a longer series may make impossible.
ONAMI

Post by ONAMI »

Short stories are part of literature genres that in a mere universe they are 'short' in nature thus giving readers easy time to read compared to other genres like novels. Short stories deal with few thematic concerns and the writer uses fewer characters to deliver the point home, secondly setting is limited, short stories are good for delivering quick information
rave_2
Currently Reading: A Word so Fitly Spoken
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rave-2.html
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg

Post by rave_2 »

I find short stories to be wonderful if I wanted a break from reading longer works. They may be brief, but they are packed with adventure and excitement.
Just reading... :techie-studyingbrown: :techie-studyinggray:
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg
strawberrysab
Currently Reading: The Keeper of Lost Things
Bookshelf Size: 161
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-strawberrysab.html
Latest Review: Maddy's Wings by Jan porter

Post by strawberrysab »

I’m not fond of short stories. Either they are well written and leave you wanting much more, or I feel like they aren’t developed enough.
Berry :wine:
elivia05
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elivia05.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by elivia05 »

I love them. I always enjoy a well-developed story that can be enjoyed in a single sitting.
Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Dael Reader »

Generally, I'm not a big fan of short stories. I prefer a nice long novel that real takes the time to delve into a characters' backgrounds. I'm also drawn to the ones that span several generations of a family. Short stories don't usually give me the satisfaction of feeling like I really got to know the characters and understand where their coming from. However, I've just read and reviewed the story collection A Second, Less Capable, Head and Other Rogue Tales by James Hanna, and I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it. Stephen King's collection Full Dark, No Stars is also one I enjoyed.
anwidmer
Favorite Book: The knowing
Currently Reading: The Awakening
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anwidmer.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by anwidmer »

While not quite sure of my reasoning i have always skipped over short story books. I think i just enjoy a book i can spend time getting lost in and short stories dont quite have that effect for me.
Nmesoma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nmesoma.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Nmesoma »

Short stories won't be able to conjure that level of familiarity with characters and their personalities as long stories can, but still short fictional stories can still do a marvelous job if well written. It's all about the writer!
ArriettyClock
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arriettyclock.html
Latest Review: The Judge part 1 and 2 by Ian RB Morris

Post by ArriettyClock »

I personally feel that short stories are almost like an insight into a story, without the depth that I feel I require.
I've recently been reading short stories in the genre of folk tales and ghost stories, and felt that these tend to be more like anecdotal tales (as if you were talking to a friend who experienced it) rather than discovering the reasons why the tale occurred or how it developed after the person had witnessed the unexplained event.
However, saying that, it does leave a lot of suspense for the reader and allows you to discuss and determine your own ideas about how and why the story occurred.
Alexandria San Pedro

Post by Alexandria San Pedro »

I think short stories are very interesting because how can the author end the story with just a few sentences or phrases. It's just amazing that you can make the long story, short, to understand it easily. For me short stories are more understandable because it is direct to the point.
Mallory Porshnev
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Moloka'i
Bookshelf Size: 332
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pricklypurple.html
Latest Review: The Paradize Inn by Sheri O'Sullivan

Post by Mallory Porshnev »

Short stories don't usually go over well with me. They have the development and then end too abruptly. There are always exceptions and some people do them well like Edgar Allen Poe and Roald Dahl.

Return to “June 2018 Genre Discussion”