Short Story Discussion

For June 2018 we will be reading short stories.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Short Story Discussion

Post by Heidi M Simone »

June has started, and it's time to begin our discussion for this month. Short stories (<100 pages) was chosen for this month!

Let's share:
  • What did you read?
  • How many pages was it?
  • Was the book well-organized?
  • What genre(s) did you notice in the short story you read?
  • Did you enjoy the book? Why or why not?
  • Would you recommend it? Why or why not?
Feel free to share more about the book(s) you read! As always, let's have fun! :D
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Heidi M Simone
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

I recently read a couple of short books. One was Very Good Lives by J.K. Rowling. It was a commencement speech, so it was definitely short! The speech was 80 pages long, but it had drawings/illustrations included. I felt the speech was well-organized. Since it was a speech, it was automatically a non-fiction text, but it was also a motivational/inspirational read. For the most part, I enjoyed reading this. There wasn't much new information as far as an inspirational text is concerned, but what she was stating seems appropriate for the occasion. I would probably recommend this to those recently graduated from high school and/or college.
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Dael Reader »

I recently read A Second, Less Capable, Head and Other Rogue Tales by James Hanna. You can read my review at viewtopic.php?f=114&t=72283
jenjayfromSA
Currently Reading: First Family
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenjayfromsa.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by jenjayfromSA »

I tend to avoid short stories, simply because I prefer to dive in rather than get my feet wet. It is, I've discovered, much harder to write a short story. It needs to be very carefully plotted - catchy start, enough exposition to establish who and what, a confrontation of some kind, resolution. I do read novellas and short stories by authors I like, usually those that link or expand on sub-plots in novels I enjoyed. Recently I've been rereading some of Andre Norton's fantasy short stories, and she was a master, establishing a gripping scenario very quickly. She could easily have expanded some of them into full-length novels. In fact, you get quite annoyed at leaving the characters in limbo. I think it takes more skill than rambling over a trilogy.
Namaste23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-namaste23.html
Latest Review: Did you know by Ashok Bhaskaran

Post by Namaste23 »

I read The Watchmaker's Doctor and I believe it was under 100 pages. It was a sci-fi story with time travel in it. It was well organized, but it did have a lot of potential to expand. I enjoyed it and would recommend it.

Return to “June 2018 Genre Discussion”