Should the eyes have always been the same?

Use this forum to discuss the June 2018 Book of the Month"The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami
Swat3737
Favorite Book: Mists of avalon
Currently Reading: Good Omens
Bookshelf Size: 631
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-swat3737.html
Latest Review: Sherlock and I A Memoir of Medical Mysteries in a US Rural Practice by Frederick Kassis, MD

Re: Should the eyes have always been the same?

Post by Swat3737 »

I definitely hadn't considered that Angela's eyes changing color was to indicate when she was having a vision. I think it's a clever device by the author but part of why I found the story unappealing, the paranormal aspect did not appeal to me in this book.
Italiansweety1982
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-italiansweety1982.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley

Post by Italiansweety1982 »

There has to be a reason for it. I do know that eyes can slightly change naturally due to being indoors or outdoors but it's usually subtle. There may have been a deeper/paranormal reason in the book.
RT_offscript
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rt-offscript.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by RT_offscript »

I think that there are a few potential reasons for the changing eyes.
- Although Alex was very quick to believe Angela's supernatural experiences, his quick judgement and the reader's acceptance were more plausible due to Angela's changing eyes.
- Angela's changing eyes could also be the result of her supernatural gift; and Alex's eyes, on the other hand, did not change because he is not the conduit.
- Lastly, the similarity between Alex's and Gerhard's eyes, helped the reader further accept the many questionable and supernatural occurrences throughout the novel.

However, I do have the following questions and critiques.
- During her trances as Fioretta, Angela's eyes changed to a green color; but did her eyes indicated any change as Sophia?
- Although I like the idea that the eyes are the windows to the soul, Angela's eye color changes and Alex/Gerhard similar eyes are difficult to genetically explain; but after all, Belle Ami's story is a fictional book and an enjoyable read! :)
KMSingh
Favorite Book: Major Pettigrew's Last Stand
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kmsingh.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by KMSingh »

Taekwondoqueen wrote: 12 Aug 2018, 20:36 Alex first said that when Angela was in her trance as Fioretta, her eyes changed from brown to forest green. Then, it stated that Gerhard had the same different colored eyes as Alex did. Should Angela’s eyes have stayed the same during her trances as Fioretta, or was that so far back that it made sense for them to change? Still, how come Alex’s eyes stayed the same, but Angela’s changed? Could it have been to prove that she was ina trance? I think that the eyes should have always stayed the same because the eyes are considered the doorways of the soul. What do you think?
I found this element of the story annoying. Yes, Alex and Gerhard had the same color eyes, but they were different from Guiliano's, which made no sense. I think Angela's eyes changing color was a cheap device. I mean, seriously, why would her eyes change color? It would be enough for her manner or speech to change.
Samantha Powell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-powell.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Samantha Powell »

I really didn't linger on this too much when I was reading it, but because Angela was being possessed her eyes should have been changing colors to show that. Alex only ever saw his previous selves so his eyes stayed the same. I think it added a little substance to the story.
Ravinder+Kaur
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ravinder-kaur.html
Latest Review: Roadmap to the End of Days by Daniel Friedmann
Reading Device: Kindle

Post by Ravinder+Kaur »

Because the book is fiction, the author could have used this eye-color changing ploy to show that Angela is in a trance, but when there's a question about logic, then I think the eyes should not have changed colour, her speech or mannerism could be changed.
Ravinder+Kaur
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ravinder-kaur.html
Latest Review: Roadmap to the End of Days by Daniel Friedmann
Reading Device: Kindle

Post by Ravinder+Kaur »

Because the book is fiction, the author could have used this eye-color changing ploy to show that Angela is in a trance, but when there's a question about logic, then I think the eyes should not have changed colour, her speech or mannerism could be changed.
NuelUkah
Favorite Book: Heaven and Earth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 283
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nuelukah.html
Latest Review: Dibs and Dabs of my Life by Gertrude Coulter

Post by NuelUkah »

I think the concept makes sense. Angela had a connection to Fioretta. Angela goes into trances, but Alex doesn't. He only notices when Angela experience's her trances.
If you are TOO BIG to DO SMALL things, then you are TOO SMALL to DO BIG things...

If you want to be remembered long after you are gone, WRITE books worth READING or DO things worth WRITING about...
CatholicCarry
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-catholiccarry.html
Latest Review: The Broadcast by Liam Fialkov
Reading Device: B00OD01MLY

Post by CatholicCarry »

I liked that Angela's eye color changed. It was a fitting 'tell' that she was in a trance/reliving past lives. One of the main things most people notice about others is the color of their eyes. The story told us that Angela was very similar looking to her past selves, except for the eye color. Therefore, one of the most notable ways to differientate between Angela as herself verses Angela as a past self was to look into her eyes. The author could have simply said her eyes became distant or vacant, but the color change allowed her to interact with others in the story as her past self without confusion. Had her eyes gone distant or vacant, it would be confusing for her to interact with others in the story as her past-self.

Alex, with his multicolor eyes, never went into a trance, so it makes sense that his eye color(s) didn't change. I would have liked it best if all the characters that Alex was reflecting had his same odd colored eyes though. It just would have tidied up the eye-thing. However, it wasn't necessary for the story since he didn't actually 'become' his past selves.
MaryPowers88
Favorite Book: The Storyteller's Secret
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marypowers88.html
Latest Review: MY FRIEND Marilyn by Christopher Lentz
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by MaryPowers88 »

I liked the eye color change part of the story and also that Alex had two different colored eyes. Interesting details that I would have not thought of in writing their story.
serendipity 27
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 286
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-serendipity-27.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by serendipity 27 »

I suppose it was a plot device for the author to showcase to the reader that the transition so to speak was happening. It might not have been necessary for us to understand what was happening, but I really didn't think anything of it.
Give me the courage to get through this week...or at least a big bar of chocolate :D
Simmons32
Currently Reading: Cengage Advantage Books
Bookshelf Size: 673
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-simmons32.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Simmons32 »

Considering the theme was around reincarnation, I think the eyes should have stayed the same. They are basically portraying that these people are one and the same, so it doesn’t make sense for Alex’s eyes to be the same as the other men but Angela’s changes.
Laney K
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laney-k.html
Latest Review: Lost in Plan Sight by Karen Magee

Post by Laney K »

I thought it was a bit confusing how the eyes changing colors was not consistent. It would have made more sense of they all did or did not change.
Crs webco
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: An American Conspiracy
Currently Reading: Resonant
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crs-webco.html
Latest Review: An American Conspiracy by Alan C. Moore
Reading Device: B07WGJ9KT3

Post by Crs webco »

I liked the eye color change to let us know that Fioretta was in the building, not Angela. As someone else mentioned she became Fioretta while Alex only spoke to his prior self. No reason for his eyes to change.
Phooko Tebogo PC
Favorite Author: Walter E. Broach
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-phooko-tebogo-pc.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe
fav_author_id: 202169

Post by Phooko Tebogo PC »

David Horta Alonso wrote: 17 Aug 2018, 01:49 I found the change in the eyes a strange happening. I wonder if such is possible in the society today.
I also found it strange, to my mind everytime there was that change of the eyes I always imagine the "evil spirits" being the ones taking over her
"Live to leave a mark, the footprints of the greatest" :obscene-drinkingcheers:
~Phooko tebogo

Return to “Discuss "The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami”