Scordato's intent revealed to early?

Use this forum to discuss the June 2018 Book of the Month"The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami
JHuschle519
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jhuschle519.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose

Re: Scordato's intent revealed to early?

Post by JHuschle519 »

FictionLover wrote: 30 Jul 2018, 22:17
JHuschle519 wrote: 23 Jul 2018, 02:28 I just finished reading The Girl Who Knew da Vinci, and while I enjoyed many aspects of the story there is one thing that I felt could have been done better. It seemed to me that Scordato's plan to steal the painting and murder Angela was brought to light much too early in the story; all the way back in Chapter 1. This took a lot of the suspense out the book for me because I knew what was coming. There was no surprise at the end when he ,finally, made his move. I think it would have been more exciting to not know who was after Angela and Alex right from the start. Does anyone else have any thoughts on this?
Yes, I agree. I think the problem comes from the fact that this was really a paranormal romance.

In my review, I made a point of stating that this was not a thriller. Thrillers are really fast-paced and the main characters are always chasing the next clue to find out who is behind the plot. Sometimes things are so convoluted, you don't find out until the very end who is behind the crime. Also, there is a lot of tension, running, hiding, plotting, tactics. There was none of that here. Unless you consider long soapy showers suspenseful.

So I guess you needed Scordato around to have some suspense.
Excellent point. I suppose looking at the book from a strictly romance point of view, then Scordato becomes more of a simple plot device rather than a character that needs a lot of development. Thanks for replying, and I'll make sure to check out your review.
FictionLover
Favorite Book: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fictionlover.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by FictionLover »

JHuschle519 wrote: 30 Jul 2018, 23:53
FictionLover wrote: 30 Jul 2018, 22:17
JHuschle519 wrote: 23 Jul 2018, 02:28 I just finished reading The Girl Who Knew da Vinci, and while I enjoyed many aspects of the story there is one thing that I felt could have been done better. It seemed to me that Scordato's plan to steal the painting and murder Angela was brought to light much too early in the story; all the way back in Chapter 1. This took a lot of the suspense out the book for me because I knew what was coming. There was no surprise at the end when he ,finally, made his move. I think it would have been more exciting to not know who was after Angela and Alex right from the start. Does anyone else have any thoughts on this?
Yes, I agree. I think the problem comes from the fact that this was really a paranormal romance.

In my review, I made a point of stating that this was not a thriller. Thrillers are really fast-paced and the main characters are always chasing the next clue to find out who is behind the plot. Sometimes things are so convoluted, you don't find out until the very end who is behind the crime. Also, there is a lot of tension, running, hiding, plotting, tactics. There was none of that here. Unless you consider long soapy showers suspenseful.

So I guess you needed Scordato around to have some suspense.
Excellent point. I suppose looking at the book from a strictly romance point of view, then Scordato becomes more of a simple plot device rather than a character that needs a lot of development. Thanks for replying, and I'll make sure to check out your review.
Thanks!

I try to read other reviews, too. But I have to admit that there are times I find things (like pages of reviews other than the forums ) on this website and think "Oh, how did I not see that before?"

And then I go back and try to remember where I found them, and can't! So following other reviewers always seems hit and miss to me! But I will look for yours, too.
"I love reading another reader’s list of favorites. Even when I find I do not share their tastes or predilections, I am provoked to compare, contrast, and contradict. It is a most healthy exercise, and one altogether fruitful." T.S. Eliot
[Valerie Allen]
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 773
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-allen.html
Latest Review: Utopia Project by Billy Dering

Post by [Valerie Allen] »

Bravo, well stated! My exact thoughts and sentiments. However, putting suspense aside, the time and attention that Alex extended toward Angela were absolutely appealing. He caters to her every need. And the chemistry between them is undeniable. So much so, you can actually feel it leap off the pages. I honestly don't think that there's a living creature that compares to Alex Caine. I'm just saying, it appears men like him are a figment of the imagination. But further agreed, the suspense factor of the story was long gone after Chapter 1.
RT_offscript
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rt-offscript.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by RT_offscript »

Like many of you, I agree that Scordato's intent was revealed too early. As a result, I believe that many people do not consider "The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci" to be a thriller.

By unmasking Scordato's true nature in the first chapter, however, Belle Ami successfully created a 240-page book with decent character development and plot; and maybe the author's objective was to create a short and fun read. :)
pixiequeer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pixiequeer.html
Latest Review: Mistress Suffragette by Diana Forbes

Post by pixiequeer »

While I do see your point, I also think it was important for Scordato to be revealed so early because him and Enrico are the reincarnated assassins from before, and you wouldn't really get that part of it if you didn't find out it was Scordato until the end. I think she makes it work for the story because of the visions and the references to the past lives. Otherwise, I really just don't see a way where she could wait until the end to reveal Scordato and Enrico AND still have them be the reincarnated assassins. At least, not in a way that fits with the rest of the story.

The main plot is supposed to be discovering the painting through their past lives without repeating history. If the main plot was running away from the killer, this would make sense, but it's not. You have to remember, this is not just a thriller/murder mystery. There are other aspects to take into consideration.
Moddesser Elahi
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Power of Now
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moddesser-elahi.html
Latest Review: Then Comes The Flood by John Payne

Post by Moddesser Elahi »

I completely agree with JHuschle519. The thriller aspect of the novel could have been better if there would have been more suspense. The antagonist Scordato and his intentions have been revealed too early in the book. The book has a smooth flow though the thriller part has been compromised which is quite crucial according to me for a book in the genre. :hand:
PANACEA - Please do not overvalue your body and mind! Just be life! :dance:
Dusamae
Favorite Book: End of the Last Great Kingdom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 116
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dusamae.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis

Post by Dusamae »

I agree, if it had been a thriller like the title of the book claimed then that is what would have happened. Given that it was more of a historical romance with some mystery and paranormal thrown in it wasn't really supposed to be about the whodunnit. I think if the author had given more substance to Angela and Alex, and the villain Scordato then the thriller part of the book would have been more believable.
David Horta Alonso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-horta-alonso.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by David Horta Alonso »

Yes, his intentions were manifested early enough. The author ought to have used that as a point of creating suspense rather than introducing it early enough.
Taekwondoqueen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taekwondoqueen.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Post by Taekwondoqueen »

I had the same exact thought about this. It seemed like a bad move on Belle Ami’s part, but I guess this is just her writing style. I also thought the same thing about the painting. The description made it seem like it would be a while before they figured out whether the painting was real or not, but they figured it out in the first few chapters. Maybe Belle Ami should spread out the timeline a bit more.
Beth KG
Favorite Book: Time and Again
Currently Reading: Practice the Jealous Arts
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beth-kg.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Beth KG »

by Beth KG

I think you are spot on! While there were many enjoyable things about this book, suspense was not one of them.
AshEileen2013
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asheileen2013.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Post by AshEileen2013 »

Definitely! You automatically knew he was the villain in this book and his very intent. It would have been better if it was kept a mystery for some time.
jjmainor
Currently Reading: The House Where Evil Dwells...Thirteen Tells
Bookshelf Size: 171
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jjmainor.html
Latest Review: Beyond Cloud Nine (Beyond Saga Book 1) by Greg Spry

Post by jjmainor »

I might agree except there weren't any other "suspects." No one else seems to be after the painting (unless a new contender pops up toward the end), so if we're hanging on a who-dunit, there aren't any options.
David Horta Alonso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-horta-alonso.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by David Horta Alonso »

Dr. Scordato is surely cunning. He sexually harassed Angela, plans on killing her in order to get away with the paint. Revealing her intentions early enough was in no way dangerous to the plot development.
jessinikkip
Currently Reading: Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessinikkip.html
Latest Review: Misery Loves Company by Paul Marino
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by jessinikkip »

I hadn't thought about it before, but seeing it mentioned... yes, I think that came out way too early. The point of a thriller should be that arch of "who done it?" and figuring out along the way who the bad guy is. Knowing what he was doing and why kind of killed the who done it. The only thing I didn't know by halfway through the book was where the painting was, and that wasn't enough to keep me going.
Zephyr1988
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zephyr1988.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Zephyr1988 »

I agree. If the author revealed Scordato's motive later on in the film, it would have had more of an impact and been a great plot twist.

Return to “Discuss "The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami”