Romance and time-how is romance different now?

Use this forum to discuss the June 2018 Book of the Month"The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami
Jajachris
Currently Reading: The Blue Lagoon (Official Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jajachris.html
Latest Review: The Spirituality Puzzle by James Rondinone and Renee Rondinone

Re: Romance and time-how is romance different now?

Post by Jajachris »

Except that people have added new actions to the word, I think romance in the true sense of it, has stayed the same over time. It involves wild or subtle thoughts and actions that massaged the fantasies of either partner for pleasue. Nothing has really changed.
Medhansh Bhardwaj
Currently Reading: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-medhansh-bhardwaj.html
Latest Review: Mrs. White’s SUB SNIPS by Laura Moss White

Post by Medhansh Bhardwaj »

Romance is definitely different now. Earlier there were no cellphones or landlines to call each other. Lovers had to wait for weeks on end to communicate if one of them went away for some work. But now, we have text messaging, calling, video-calling, and tinder! So, romance is much more easy and convenient now.
Firuzeyy
Currently Reading: Think & Grow Rich
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-firuzeyy.html
Latest Review: Why Can't Johnny Just Quit? by Kyle Oh
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by Firuzeyy »

Some prefer a short-term relationship while some are ready to fall in love with their 'only one' while others are busy in careers and not at all interested in romance. Time has always affected the development of every single thing and it also involves romance. I think now people are more willing to talk about their feelings than in the past as this topic was not digested by the conservative minds in history.
Simmons32
Currently Reading: Cengage Advantage Books
Bookshelf Size: 673
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-simmons32.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Simmons32 »

I don’t feel there is a difference between how much each couple loved each other. The difference is that in the past couples, they had a forbidden relationship. Angela and Alex do not have this. They are free to be with to one another and are not ridiculed for it.
bishop_444
Favorite Book: Yesterday
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bishop-444.html
Latest Review: The Reject Bench by James H Morgan

Post by bishop_444 »

Yes, romance is different today than in other time periods. Is it better? I would say that depends on the time period. If we're talking victorian era then absolutely we have better romance since women can choose who they marry. If we're talking about the 1950-the 60s, then no. The romance was much better then. I don't think we fare better today. Our society seems to have no loyalty to their partners/SO/husband/wife, etc. We have too many obstacles like phones, social media, DMs, and text. There's nothing thrilling about courting anymore. Everyone's plugged in and everyone is looking for that "bigger and better" deal when it comes to love. Not love itself.
Reema Aydieh
Currently Reading: Everyone in My Family Has Killed Someone
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reema-aydieh.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Reema Aydieh »

I don't think there's that big a difference between then and now. But I believe it's easier now than it used to be, but still as messy and complicated. That's why this book shows that in ways history can repeat itself.
“Just keep swimming.”
Phooko Tebogo PC
Favorite Author: Walter E. Broach
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-phooko-tebogo-pc.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe
fav_author_id: 202169

Post by Phooko Tebogo PC »

Dael Reader wrote: 21 Jun 2018, 19:54 Frankly, I didn't think any of the couples in this book were in the midst of romance. Most of what we see of them has more to do with lust. Romance involves time spent together, talking, laughing, learning more about each other. All we really see about the couples here are their insatiable desire for sex.
Thank you very much for pointing this out, I couldn't have said it better. If their definition of love revolves around how many times we make out then I guess they all pulled it up. But otherwise I also viewed it as lust.
Ashna_Tibrewal_7
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashna-tibrewal-7.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Ashna_Tibrewal_7 »

Romance shifts with time. With love letters becoming texts. Long commitments becoming hook up culture. I really wish to have the old romance tbh.
Favy Moses
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19

Post by Favy Moses »

I agree that in our time romance has really changed from the way it was in the 1950s.This days everything is rushed , no passion attached infact the ladies wants more unlike before . And finally the internet and technology crowed it all .

Return to “Discuss "The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami”