Romance and time-how is romance different now?

Use this forum to discuss the June 2018 Book of the Month"The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami
David Horta Alonso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-horta-alonso.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Re: Romance and time-how is romance different now?

Post by David Horta Alonso »

I don't think romance has changed that much. It's only that romance today is two sided unlike in the sixties when only the male species were expected to be romantic.
a9436
Currently Reading: The Redbreast
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a9436.html
Latest Review: First Family by Alice Langholt

Post by a9436 »

I think it depends on the definition of romance - is it a feeling, or a practice? The feeling, of the butterflies in one's stomach, of the heart racing etc. are timeless, but the practices change depending on societal norms, both in terms of time and location. Where I live, writing poetry would be considered old-fashioned, but a man sending roses to a woman would not be, (and I wonder why we still have gendered traditions such as this). Then with personal preferences, things get even more complicated!
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 959
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

Romance has always been the same. The same wild feelings, the rebellious hearts striving to be together, the same anxiety and the same passion. The only thing that changed is our perception and the way we handle things.
GabbiV
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces you have to read before you die, vol 2
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabbiv.html
Latest Review: Of Illusions and Ink Spills by Divya Hirani
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by GabbiV »

I think that romance has evolved, at least from my American generation Z perspective, to such a point that all partners are seen as equals. Traditional gender roles are slowly being abolished, ie. men doing the cooking etc.
David Horta Alonso
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-horta-alonso.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by David Horta Alonso »

Today's romance is overated. I prefer the romance of the sixties that was simple and real.
Facennagoss
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-facennagoss.html
Latest Review: Will of The Hill by Marshall Cobb

Post by Facennagoss »

SereneCharles wrote: 21 Jun 2018, 07:34 I don't see much difference in romance between then and now. It has always been filled with wild thoughts/actions and stomach full of butterflies (at least thats how i see it). Its the same now, but taken more advantage of than in the past. People form romantic relationships without any real romance, probably for the money in it.
I agree. I don’t believe the act of romance itself and how it is perceived by those involved is any different. What is different is how it is perceived by outsiders and society.
Fozia-Bajwa
Currently Reading: The Newton Code
Bookshelf Size: 263
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fozia-bajwa.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Fozia-Bajwa »

Romance of only one kind has been shown by all the couples in this story. So there is nothing special about the romantic re relationships of these couples.
palmerNgozi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-palmerngozi.html
Latest Review: Roan by E. R. Barr

Post by palmerNgozi »

I wouldn't say that there is no difference in the romance of 2018 rather I would conclude that the latter romance is filled with lust, impatience, jealousy also. But yet, it just compensates with the present time we have found ourselves.
Latest Review: Roan by E. R. Barr
Joe Hadithi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joe-hadithi.html
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo

Post by Joe Hadithi »

There are certainly huge differences, and one of them is that we want things moving along quicker now. getting to know and enjoy the other person is a rare thing in today's scene.
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo
1ditzyrn
Favorite Book: Desire
Currently Reading: Daisies and Dragon Slayers In The Equator
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-1ditzyrn.html
Latest Review: Genesis (The Infinity Series, Vol.2) by Bellamy Westbay
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by 1ditzyrn »

I think romance was a bit of a luxury in the past, as most married for position or wealth. I also think that in the past women had to choose from suitors who were in her "class", whereas now society doesn't really follow this type of class based system.
abbiejoice
Currently Reading: Me Before You
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abbiejoice.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose

Post by abbiejoice »

I think romance can be both different and the same. It is different in that customs from older periods may require arranged marriages or different periods of courtship. It is the same in that the heart will always be able to feel love and will always long for someone who can meet one's needs of not being alone.
RT_offscript
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rt-offscript.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by RT_offscript »

Morganncall wrote: 20 Jun 2018, 14:33 There are some great couples in this book from three different time periods Fioretta Gorini and Giuliano de Medici, Sophia Caro and the German officer Gerhard Jaeger, and Angela Renatus and Alex Caine. Each have their own story and their own kind of love, but are their stories that different? is romance different in 2018 than it was in the other time periods? if yes, how, and do you think that it's a bad thing that it is different?
Hi Morgancall -

I like your topic. :) In my opinion, romance is the same and also different when comparing time periods.

When I really think about your topic, love - to me - simply requires the following: (1) a loving relationship between two people and (2) their actions for each other as a result of their love. So, in reference to this logic, romance in 2018 is not that different from romance in other time periods.

However, romantic stories can be different between other time periods and cultures due to societal norms. In each historical period and country, society accepts certain people and things as normal; and if one deviates from the norm, then one's romantic entanglements can become more difficult and/or interesting.
FallyMike
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by FallyMike »

True love and lust are two distinct feelings... I don't know any other book that describes this disparity than this marvellous book..... Though the book's setting was old fashioned but then it perfectly depicts what happens between the youths of nowadays.....
serendipity 27
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 286
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-serendipity-27.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by serendipity 27 »

I think romance is different now in the sense that you can be more open about it. Back then there were more rules in society that you had to follow and be careful about. I feel like now you can be with whoever you want to and not worry about the consequences so much.
Give me the courage to get through this week...or at least a big bar of chocolate :D
Tobiasblackwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tobiasblackwell.html
Latest Review: MY FRIEND Marilyn by Christopher Lentz

Post by Tobiasblackwell »

Romance has changed. Romance is a rush, now. Too quickly can we connect to someone we love via the internet as compared to the traditional snail mail. Not to mention how easy it is for us to change partners just by swiping right as compared to how difficult to find a partner last time.

Return to “Discuss "The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami”