Different cultures in the book

Use this forum to discuss the June 2018 Book of the Month"The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami
Jgideon
Favorite Book: Gates to Tangier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgideon.html
Latest Review: Sundays with Sister ssj by Anthony Happy LaRiccia

Different cultures in the book

Post by Jgideon »

The names of characters usually say a lot about their culture. For instance, I believe the name Foiretta makes the character Italian. What other aspects has the author used to bring out the different cultures in the book?
AWANDO OGUTU
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-awando-ogutu.html
Latest Review: Brand Real by Vasken Kalayjian

Post by AWANDO OGUTU »

Yeah, names used in the book at times give information on the place of its origin and is useful for identity.
Morganncall
Favorite Book: Exemplary Tales of Love and Tales of Disillusion
Currently Reading: Daughter of Fortune
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-morganncall.html
Latest Review: Puffy and the Formidable Foe by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by Morganncall »

One of my favorite cultural elements to look at is food. Food is always an indicator of time period, culture, and social status. When the characters eat, it says a lot about who, and where they are.
Katherine Smith
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 524">Nancy Drew</a>
Currently Reading: The Complete Tales and Poems of Edgar Allen Poe
Bookshelf Size: 504
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katherine-smith.html
Latest Review: "Whisky tango foxtrot...copy" by John regan
Reading Device: B01KVZV52A

Post by Katherine Smith »

I agree with Morganncall about the impact of food on a culture. Everyone has a favorite dish that they serve at special events or family dinners. Food is a way of connecting with someone's culture and to learn about what that culture values. Food is a way of determine where a story takes place and in what era.
Latest Review: "Whisky tango foxtrot...copy" by John regan
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

No doubt, names and food play an important role to determine the cultural values of any country or region. And I agree the author has used many classical names which fits well with the cultural norms of those times.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

๐Ÿ“•๐Ÿ“–๐Ÿ“ฐ๐Ÿ““๐Ÿ“•
holsam_87
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 1691
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by holsam_87 »

Definitely, the use of food and names denote certain ideas of culture. I also think the behaviors of people can reflect generalized views, like with how Scardato was acting towards Angela.
Samantha Holtsclaw

โ€œWeโ€™ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. Thatโ€™s who we really are.โ€

โ€”J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

It's true that different foods and names are clues to a specific culture and time period. Also, the job Angela held was a clue it was the present day as I can't imagine women would have been given a professional job like art historian in the 1400's or even the 1940's.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Bonnie Shelby
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bonnie-shelby.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Bonnie Shelby »

Clothing is another indicator of culture and time period. If I remember correctly, there were times the author described the character's outfits, like Fioretta and Guiliano on their wedding day and Gerhard's uniform when he was a soldier during WWII.
AWANDO OGUTU
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-awando-ogutu.html
Latest Review: Brand Real by Vasken Kalayjian

Post by AWANDO OGUTU »

I think different cultures in the book is a portrayal of a diverse society. That's good as many groups will find their identity in the book.
greenstripedgiraffe
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The New Strong-Willed Child
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris

Post by greenstripedgiraffe »

This was not heavily developed in the book, but there is something of the roles that the different women had. One being a model - and having it pointed out that this would have made others look at her as a whore... that's fairly shocking in today's culture.
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
kfwilson6
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

I don't think the various cultures were particularly noticeable in this novel. Although much of the story took place in Italy, I don't feel like there was much of an "Italian" feel to it other than the descriptions of the scenery.

There were hints here and there about different norms during the three time periods represented such as Fioretta's knowledge that if anyone knew she was posing for Leonardo she would not be spoken well of, and Angela and Sophia both being working women.
Fu Zaila
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1067
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fuzaila.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Fu Zaila »

I believe the cultural aspects of the novel comes not only from the Italian names but also from other identifiers like food, dressing, and traditional habits. But like kfwilson6 said, the author doesn't focus much on the culture in this book.
"Create your own identity. Let it be unique for yourself yet identifiable for others." :tiphat:
greenstripedgiraffe
Currently Reading: The New Strong-Willed Child
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html

Post by greenstripedgiraffe »

kfwilson6 wrote: โ†‘27 Jun 2018, 14:19 I don't think the various cultures were particularly noticeable in this novel. Although much of the story took place in Italy, I don't feel like there was much of an "Italian" feel to it other than the descriptions of the scenery.

There were hints here and there about different norms during the three time periods represented such as Fioretta's knowledge that if anyone knew she was posing for Leonardo she would not be spoken well of, and Angela and Sophia both being working women.
I hadn't even thought about culture being important in the book, until this question was asked in the forum :D Made me think a little deeper, and yes, there are hints... but overall that's not a focus in the book.
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
kfwilson6
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

Sometimes I really don't consider certain aspects of a book until another reader sparks a discussion about it. Very rarely do I think a question is way off base. In this instance the question caused me to contemplate the issue, but I really didn't have a whole lot to say about it. I can't really claim it as a shortcoming of Ami's writing though as I don't think it was important to the story at all. The descriptions of the scenery weren't necessary either, but they were a wonderful bonus. I never saw anyone complain about them and did see a lot of positive comments.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

While the imagery in this book was outstanding and added sparkle to the story, I can't really say the culture of each foreign country was featured. Since this book was a mystery/thriller, there wasn't much attention paid to the clothing, customs, food, etc. as there might be in a character-driven, general fiction type of book.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost

Return to โ€œDiscuss "The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Amiโ€