On Office Sexual Harassment

Use this forum to discuss the June 2018 Book of the Month"The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami
ArriettyClock
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arriettyclock.html
Latest Review: The Judge part 1 and 2 by Ian RB Morris

Re: On Office Sexual Harassment

Post by ArriettyClock »

I think it's a bit more than just strength or weakness. People may feel like they have no choice - such as if they've reported similar issues previously and nothing has happened, if they fear for their job, or if the person is in a higher position - especially in a male dominated field.
It would be a lot easier for Angela not to do anything, but then it's weighing up whether she can put up with the sexual harassment and if she fears for her safety..... so maybe it hadn't yet got to the breaking point?
garima597
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-garima597.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by garima597 »

I found angela's initial forbearance of sexual harrasment to protect her career a sign of weakness because it depicts her lack of strength to face a situation. There are many situations in our life where we have to accept and adjust around certain behavior of other people but the acceptance of sexual harrasment due to any reason is wrong.
G@RIMA :techie-studyingbrown:
bruin
Currently Reading: Cracking the Genome
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bruin.html
Latest Review: Havana 1995 -english version- by Ileana Gonzalez Monserrat

Post by bruin »

Interesting questions, I didn't think of her actions as a strength or weakness. She just handled her situation that she felt would be best for her at that time. It is a difficult position to be in, which is sadly very common. As a female, it is hard to decide if it is worth putting your foot down when you feel like you can just walk away and not respond with the hopes that it will just stop. At the same time, it's time that women speak up when any of these things happen, but the truth is that it is still very hard to do so.
[Valerie Allen]
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 773
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-allen.html
Latest Review: Utopia Project by Billy Dering

Post by [Valerie Allen] »

Wow! Sad, but true. Yes, I think both, a measure of weakness and strength. Sometimes it's easier said than done.
And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. (Revelation 20:12 (NKJV) :reading-7:
haleygerstenberg
Currently Reading: Amusing ourselves to death
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-haleygerstenberg.html
Latest Review: Superhighway 2 by Alex Fayman

Post by haleygerstenberg »

Sexual harassment is such a power-driven issue, I feel like Angela being in a position of lower authority makes it less about her character how she reacted and more about her need to try and keep existing in a less-than-idea environment... You do the best you can, I guess.
emkinney4
Currently Reading: Scrappy Little Nobody
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emkinney4.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by emkinney4 »

Choosing between standing up for yourself and protecting your career is such a prevalent issue, and for a long time hardly anyone would dare to speak up when faced with such a powerful predator. It's only in the past year or so that we've really started to see victims of sexual assault and harassment speak up, and it's had such a widespread impact. I'd be curious to see what impact the #MeToo movement would have on how Angela handles the situation.
RebeccasReading
Currently Reading: I, Richard Plantagenet
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebeccasreading.html
Latest Review: Man of the Sea by Nathan Kippley

Post by RebeccasReading »

I think Angela's behavior shows she a survivor, and that she will do what she needs to do in order to get by. Many women don't report sexual harassment at work because they think it's unfair that their career could suffer because of the actions of a man. Standing up for yourself is great in theory, but it can't always be done in every circumstance. Every woman has to do what's best for her at that time.
Anthony Martial Tata
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony-martial-tata.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Anthony Martial Tata »

I agree, it isn't easy to resist sexual actions especially when they are from a person who can either make or break your career. However, the target of sexual harassment should stand firm on their ground. Giving in would be a win for the offenders.
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 86063">Are you afraid of the dark</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 868
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickie-noel.html
Latest Review: Modern Day Cowboy by Nathaniel Sheft
Reading Device: B01C9JZEBO

Post by Vickie Noel »

kfwilson6 wrote: 12 Jun 2018, 22:44
kjarch1228 wrote: 12 Jun 2018, 00:10 I would not be judgemental of the actions of any woman being put into such a terrible circumstance. It's not something that anyone should have to put up with although many do. It takes strength to stay and it takes strength to leave.
Well said. In this type of situation reaching out for help is smart, never weak. People have to protect themselves as best they can. Angela was pretty smart in attempting to balance not ticking Scordato off and not letting him make any headway. Unfortunately, I believe Alex saved her from what was about to turn into a dicey situation. I say unfortunately because I don't know what she would have done next. I don't think she was willing to report him.
I agree that it was smart of Angela to balance the Scordato situation such that he makes no progress without knowing she was blocking him off outrightly. It takes a certain skill to manage that situation in the interim until she figured out a permanent solution.
Stop waiting for what you WANT, start working with what you HAVE. --- Seth Cain
Never be bullied into questioning your own credibility. --- Vickie Noel
Yssimnar
Favorite Book: Wives and Daughters
Currently Reading: No Man Knows My History
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yssimnar.html
Latest Review: Seer by Larry Austin

Post by Yssimnar »

Angela rocked the situation. She survived and managed to keep herself safe after knowing her boss probably broke into her apartment.
:wink:
Latest Review: Seer by Larry Austin
Chandler_Greg
Currently Reading: Beneath the Kauri Tree
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chandler-greg.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Chandler_Greg »

Unfortunately, her story is one of thousands. The #metoo movement has shown only the tip of the iceberg. Far too many women have suffered sexual harassment at work, school, and elsewhere. In this case, as has been pointed out, her career depended on her receiving a positive report from the man who preyed on here. As an intern, she may have been under even more pressure than a regular employee, and may not have had as many of the protections. Her situation is also not helped by the rarity of positions in her chosen field. The chances of leaving for an equivalent position are much lower than they would be if she were a receptionist, secretary, etc.. where there are always more openings.
taffylee81
Favorite Book: King of Ashes
Currently Reading: Scales of Empire
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taffylee81.html
Latest Review: The 11.05 Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by taffylee81 »

I think she should have notified HR if nothing else as she may not have been the only person he has harassed. I think it’s also seen as a bit more serious when someone in a position of authority is the harasser as they can use their position as an implied threat. This is why she should have dealt with it as soon as it started as it can also stop it from escalating.
kwame1977
Currently Reading: The Vatican Protocol
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kwame1977.html
Latest Review: Learn to Play Guitar by Gareth Evans

Post by kwame1977 »

It's not easy to ward off sexual harassment at working at workplace. One therefore has to choose between career.
Oscar Osman
Currently Reading: Winning the war on cancer
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oscar-osman.html
Latest Review: The Embalmer by Vincent Zandri

Post by Oscar Osman »

I think that Angela handled the situation maturely by denying sex in an attempt to retain her job.
Bookcool123
Currently Reading: The Relik
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookcool123.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Post by Bookcool123 »

Strength. She balances the advantages and disadvantages that may arise from such predicament.

Return to “Discuss "The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami”