DownNDirty

Use this forum to discuss the June 2018 Book of the Month"The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami
strawberrysab
Currently Reading: The Keeper of Lost Things
Bookshelf Size: 161
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-strawberrysab.html
Latest Review: Maddy's Wings by Jan porter

Re: DownNDirty

Post by strawberrysab »

katiesquilts wrote: 09 Jun 2018, 03:21 Once I even read a sci-fi book where it took me two whole pages to realize the characters were having sex because I thought the guy was literally just "polishing his sword"...as you do.
😂😂😂 That’s horrible! I think the best written sex is the hinted one, unless of course you’re writing an erotic novel lol, you can never know who’s reading your book and the impact of explicit sex on the reader, even more so when you’re expecting an entirely different book.
Berry :wine:
Nena_Morena
Favorite Book: The Notebook
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nena-morena.html
Latest Review: Getting Used to Success by H.J. Shalev

Post by Nena_Morena »

When I read Romances I don't mind reading about sex scenes if those are well written and express deep love between two characters. I'm not so much into the details of the sex itself, but it can still be pleasant. Unfortunately, due to the words chosen from the author or the lack of love that I felt, I found this book too graphic and sometimes vulgar.
I was too disappointed in reading the word "cock" a couple of times.
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

Such a language is mostly common in romance novel. But It is not a pure romance novel. So some people often feel disturbed by such scenes . Overall everyone has a different taste. Mostly people like the addition of such spice scenes and the author knowns this well.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

ViziVoir wrote: 17 Jun 2018, 20:14
katiesquilts wrote: 09 Jun 2018, 03:21 The one thing I can't stand though is when the author tries to substitute everyday words for the body parts...things like sausages and love sticks.
I recently read a book that referred to a female character's genitalia as "extremely wet walls of delight." I had to set it down and laugh for a few minutes before I could keep reading. So, relatively speaking, I can't help but think the word "cock" is somewhat tame.
I can't say I've read that description before. Some writers have a way of either phrasing sex scenes in such a way that they can avoid these descriptions all together or they just have a completely different style. Some people probably like the DownNDirty descriptions whereas I prefer more love and emotional intimacy rather than descriptions of how hard and wet things are.
kfwilson6

Post by kfwilson6 »

Sarah Tariq wrote: 21 Jun 2018, 01:22 Such a language is mostly common in romance novel. But It is not a pure romance novel. So some people often feel disturbed by such scenes . Overall everyone has a different taste. Mostly people like the addition of such spice scenes and the author knowns this well.
Some people enjoy the nitty gritty details. I guess authors need to be careful which word choice they assign to their books: romance, love-story, erotica, etc... to set the right expectations. Romance to me means the characters having sex love each other and that is obvious in the descriptions of their love making. Sex and making love aren't the same thing.
Lil Reads
Currently Reading: Chip’s World: Complex #31 and The Caretaker
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lil-reads.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by Lil Reads »

katiesquilts wrote: 09 Jun 2018, 03:21 ...
The one thing I can't stand though is when the author tries to substitute everyday words for the body parts...things like sausages and love sticks.
Once I even read a sci-fi book where it took me two whole pages to realize the characters were having sex because I thought the guy was literally just "polishing his sword"...as you do.
The odd innuendo used for body parts can backfire so much. Sometimes it sounds much too immature, others it sounds too weird, so either could mentally take you out of the scene.

I think an author even had a song in one book that can be seen as an entire innuendo, sort of poking fun at the trope.
:coffee3-smiley: :auto-mysterymachine:
greenstripedgiraffe
Currently Reading: The New Strong-Willed Child
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris

Post by greenstripedgiraffe »

Not being a fan of the steamy romance, I pretty much skipped these sections. I know that there are a lot of people who like this, but I was reading more for the historical fiction aspect - and was disappointed to find out it was basically a romance novel :D
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

greenstripedgiraffe wrote: 27 Jun 2018, 12:31 Not being a fan of the steamy romance, I pretty much skipped these sections. I know that there are a lot of people who like this, but I was reading more for the historical fiction aspect - and was disappointed to find out it was basically a romance novel :D
I still think the historical elements were wonderful, even though the present-day romance took things off track and into erotic territory. Once I discovered the Giuliano-Fioretta relationship and their son growing up to be Pope was fact, the story took on new meaning to me.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

strawberrysab wrote: 20 Jun 2018, 13:11
katiesquilts wrote: 09 Jun 2018, 03:21 Once I even read a sci-fi book where it took me two whole pages to realize the characters were having sex because I thought the guy was literally just "polishing his sword"...as you do.
😂😂😂 That’s horrible! I think the best written sex is the hinted one, unless of course you’re writing an erotic novel ...
On the whole, I agree with this - very few writers can write well about sex and, actually, I think it can diminish the romantic energy if characters get together before the end. Alternatively, if you want to establish that characters are already together, then there are other ways of doing it.
kfwilson6

Post by kfwilson6 »

Libs_Books wrote: 30 Jun 2018, 07:50
strawberrysab wrote: 20 Jun 2018, 13:11
😂😂😂 That’s horrible! I think the best written sex is the hinted one, unless of course you’re writing an erotic novel ...
On the whole, I agree with this - very few writers can write well about sex and, actually, I think it can diminish the romantic energy if characters get together before the end. Alternatively, if you want to establish that characters are already together, then there are other ways of doing it.
Ive seen a lot of authors sort of gloss over the issue. They went into the bedroom, locked the door, and didn't come out for dinner for several hours. I'm pretty sure we get the implication! Throwing "I love yous" into a sex scene doesn't necessarily convey love either. They way the couple treats each other in that scene and throughout the whole book indicates if they actually love each other. I want to see that love in there. If I just wanted sex I'd read the oh-so-awful 50 Shades of Grey.
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by LV2R »

I liked the way Alex and Angela held off for a while before becoming physical. I believe that a book does not have to describe in detail everything that goes on in the bedroom, for it to be romantic. Why can't some things be left to our imagination? Does anyone remember when movies and TV would have a sex scene, they would simply close the door? I thought that the Italian vineyard, the setting, the relationship were all so very romantic. Some of the words used to describe body parts brought my idea of love down some notches.
uyky
Favorite Author: Charles de Lint
Currently Reading: Tapping the Dream Tree
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uyky.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
fav_author_id: 6861

Post by uyky »

It is an important thing to keep up with your writing style and to use the right style in the right place, book, character... So foul language is sometimes appropriate, but here it just kills the feeling of a scene.
Eryn Bradshaw
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eryn-bradshaw.html
Latest Review: The Witchstone by Victoria Randall

Post by Eryn Bradshaw »

Sex scenes in novels often make me roll my eyes. While words themselves are never a problem for me, I really don't mind whether the author write cock, penis, or whatever, I just tend to not enjoy reading sex scenes in general.
“Live, and be happy, and make others so.”
― Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley
LaurenHaupt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurenhaupt.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by LaurenHaupt »

Don't mind the sex scenes but they don't have to be that long either. Quit writing about it and move on to the rest of the story.
:techie-studyingbrown:
CinWin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 311
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cinwin.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by CinWin »

I guess it is everyone to their own. Some people like sex scenes complete with the raw language. Others like romance scenes with romantic language. Personally I don't like either. I don't like the romance genre but the majority of this book did not consist exclusively of romance or sex, so I just read through those parts to get to the other, better parts.
----"Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get."----

Return to “Discuss "The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami”