Why is da Vinci’s name on the cover?

Use this forum to discuss the June 2018 Book of the Month"The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami
joycechitwa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joycechitwa.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Re: Why is da Vinci’s name on the cover?

Post by joycechitwa »

True. The title is almost misleading. I thought it would be about Da Vinci's girlfriend or something.
FictionLover
Favorite Book: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fictionlover.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by FictionLover »

I loved the History/Art history angle of this book. I don't have a problem with using him or his likeness. The whole plot was about recovering one of his paintings, so I say it was fair game!

Besides, Fioretta was the Girl who knew da Vinci, and Angela was a reincarnation of Fioretta, so it works for me.
"I love reading another reader’s list of favorites. Even when I find I do not share their tastes or predilections, I am provoked to compare, contrast, and contradict. It is a most healthy exercise, and one altogether fruitful." T.S. Eliot
jcoad
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jcoad.html
Latest Review: True Blue Friend by Roy DeMauro

Post by jcoad »

The fact that it was her relationship with da Vinci, that led to the painting, that led to the story and you can understand how they can justify his name on the cover. The fact that the cover looks quite a bit like the Dan Brown book is what I don't like. I also think you could have come up with many other relevant titles that did not include da Vinci so I think there was more marketing that book content in the title.
dbulkley
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dbulkley.html
Latest Review: Seer by Larry Austin

Post by dbulkley »

Having da Vinci was risky for sure. My first thought was of Dan Brown’s novel, which I wasn’t that crazy about.
Latest Review: Seer by Larry Austin
HarleenQuinzel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harleenquinzel.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by HarleenQuinzel »

I do believe the title could be taken as slightly misleading. It’s definitely a marketing strategy and it’s one that works! Da Vinci is a household name.
Britty01
Favorite Book: Will's Red Coat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britty01.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Britty01 »

cristinaro wrote: 04 Jun 2018, 07:57
Dael Reader wrote: 03 Jun 2018, 10:00 I wouldn't say there's anything unethical about it. The name is in the title because the "alleged" missing painting by da Vinci is a thread that holds the storylines together.
You may be right about that, but think of the resemblance between the cover of this book and that of Dan Brown's book. Such a resemblance coupled with da Vinci's name in the title induces the idea that the two books are similar. In this case, fans of Dan Brown would be quick to check it out. I did the same only to discover they are completely different in terms of the writing style as well as character and plot development. This is the reason why I called it a potential marketing strategy and I wondered whether it was ethical or not.
As the real Fioretta and the Medici family were known to Da Vinci, I can understand why it would be in the title.
jessinikkip
Currently Reading: Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessinikkip.html
Latest Review: Misery Loves Company by Paul Marino
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by jessinikkip »

With all kinds of books like The Da Vinci Code, it's a risk to throw DaVinci out there for risk of bringing about that impression. But then those kinds of books also add to the appeal. When reading the title and then the summary, that wasn't anything like what I expected of the book when reading the title. I think it would have worked better with using either a different artist or different title.
amandathebibliophile
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amandathebibliophile.html
Latest Review: Short of Love by Martin Knox

Post by amandathebibliophile »

I don’t think it’s necessarily unethical— a little tricky perhaps, but it worked on me! I was reeled in by the title and found I loved the story, even though it wasn’t centered around da Vinci. I mean, by the fact that his secret painting was a featured prop of the plot, I suppose he indeed played more than a minor part.
Agbaeze Chika20
Favorite Book: Toni the Superhero
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Agbaeze Chika20 »

The da vinci is used as a logical means to market its product for its famous name
Bookcool123
Currently Reading: The Relik
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookcool123.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Post by Bookcool123 »

First and foremost Da Vinci is a very prominent figure in the Renaissance period. Up to this day, he still holds his status quo why he was revered during his time. The author just made it very catchy for the would be reader. The title itself speaks for the rest of this book's storyline.
Nelsy Mtsweni
Currently Reading: The Other Side of Him
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtsnel006.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Nelsy Mtsweni »

There is catch behind using this historical icon's pic on the cover. A lot of people know about him, and probably a whole lot more would have liked to meet in person...so they would be interested in knowing about the girl who knew da Vinci.
A day is not measured by the harvest that you collect, but by the seeds that you plant.
Dusamae
Favorite Book: End of the Last Great Kingdom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 116
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dusamae.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis

Post by Dusamae »

Since the story revolved around the painting I do think it was reason enough to use his name. He was the friend of Fioretta that painted the much sought after painting. I thought it was a wonderful touch to think of a painter starting his career with great friends and creating a wedding painting for his friend. It made him more human than the painter of today. I would say ethical.
Hollyrobb42
Currently Reading: The Warramunga's War
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollyrobb42.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Hollyrobb42 »

I think it’s fair to use it since there is some relevance. Yes, it may be s marketing strategy but then again, would it have much effect? I don’t know about everyone else, but it wasn’t that, that made me want to read the book. Maybe other people would be more likely pick it up though.
“I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library”
pixiequeer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pixiequeer.html
Latest Review: Mistress Suffragette by Diana Forbes

Post by pixiequeer »

I don't think there's anything unethical about it.

The book is literally about a supposed missing da Vinci, and it was painted by da Vinci for Fioretta (the girl who knew da Vinci, literally) which also reincarnated into Sophia and Angela. The whole plot of the book was about Angela and her reincarnations finding the lost da Vinci. The title just makes sense with what the book is about.

Also with those of you saying the title is misleading due to other books and titles, the author does state that her book is inspired by The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown and The Art Forger by B. A. Shapiro. So she did give them recognition.

Therefore, whether or not it is a marketing tactic is irrelevant.
ea_anthony
Favorite Book: Praying successfully
Currently Reading: Prisoners of Geography
Bookshelf Size: 650
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ea-anthony.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by ea_anthony »

I believe Da Vinci was used for the second look factor and I believe it worked, at least we are discussing it.
Ignorance promotes divisiveness, knowledge encourages diversity. :techie-studyingbrown:

Return to “Discuss "The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami”