Is Angela’s connection with her past selves a gift or a curse?

Use this forum to discuss the June 2018 Book of the Month"The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami
greenstripedgiraffe
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The New Strong-Willed Child
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris

Re: Is Angela’s connection with her past selves a gift or a curse?

Post by greenstripedgiraffe »

This certainly made Angela's life more interesting, if you really want that sort of trouble in your life. In fiction, it could be a blessing. But, for real life, not so much!
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
anwidmer
Favorite Book: The knowing
Currently Reading: The Awakening
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anwidmer.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by anwidmer »

greenstripedgiraffe wrote: 27 Jun 2018, 12:34 This certainly made Angela's life more interesting, if you really want that sort of trouble in your life. In fiction, it could be a blessing. But, for real life, not so much!
I agree! For the fictional world it was a blessing to angela for many reasons (dont want to list possible spoilers) but in real life id say no thank you as well!
greenstripedgiraffe

anwidmer wrote: 27 Jun 2018, 13:47
greenstripedgiraffe wrote: 27 Jun 2018, 12:34 This certainly made Angela's life more interesting, if you really want that sort of trouble in your life. In fiction, it could be a blessing. But, for real life, not so much!
I agree! For the fictional world it was a blessing to angela for many reasons (dont want to list possible spoilers) but in real life id say no thank you as well!
You're not kidding! real life is crazy enough without having flashbacks to other centuries and being on the run from assassions - haha!
anwidmer
Favorite Book: The knowing
Currently Reading: The Awakening
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anwidmer.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by anwidmer »

greenstripedgiraffe wrote: 27 Jun 2018, 14:31
anwidmer wrote: 27 Jun 2018, 13:47
You're not kidding! real life is crazy enough without having flashbacks to other centuries and being on the run from assassions - haha!
Exactly!! Lol
Yoli García
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yoli-garc-a.html
Latest Review: A taste of Cuba by Birgitte Røddik

Post by Yoli García »

Her regressions made the book interesting. I liked that the author created Angela with that ability. I think the visions intensified because she needed to solve the mystery. One can argue, though, that her gift is a curse because the past was overlapping her present life and overwhelming her. I wonder if she might be able to control her visions in the next book. Seems like María knows about the sight, so she might teach her how to deal with them.
"What matters in life is not what happens to you but what you remember and how you remember it."

-Gabriel García Márquez
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Yolimari wrote: 27 Jun 2018, 15:59 Her regressions made the book interesting. I liked that the author created Angela with that ability. I think the visions intensified because she needed to solve the mystery. One can argue, though, that her gift is a curse because the past was overlapping her present life and overwhelming her. I wonder if she might be able to control her visions in the next book. Seems like María knows about the sight, so she might teach her how to deal with them.
It's so true that her past lives overwhelming her life in the present. It's difficult to get anything done on the job or at home if you are constantly taken over by your past lives. Dinner is probably never ready on time at Angela's house. :lol2:
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
greenstripedgiraffe

K Geisinger wrote: 05 Jun 2018, 14:30
cristinaro wrote: 01 Jun 2018, 23:21 Although Angela Renatus claims she does not believe in fate, she finds herself swept off her feet by the irresistible attraction she feels for Alex Caine, a man she barely knows.

Do you think her visions of Fioretta and Sophia are credibly portrayed in the novel?
I think her connection is a curse. She has an irresistible attraction for Alex, to the extent she kisses him and converses without knowledge. That by itself is the stuff of nightmares. As the story progresses, she turns from a highly educated, strong woman into a weepy ghost of her former self. By the end of the story, Angela is hardly recognizable anymore.

I do not think either Fioretta or Sophia are portrayed credibly. Neither woman fit what would have been demanded of women in those time periods, but this novel was never meant to be strictly realistic. I have never met an old Italian man who would allow a female family member to go off by herself to a city, especially during war. Sophia's brothers would never have allowed her to stay in Florence during the war.

Assuming past selves are true, ignorance is the only thing that would save us from their faults. Angela may have found a painting, but she also agitated and upset an old woman to do so. Angela is even groped by the ghost of her past self's lover. Her knowledge of the past seems to bring no peace, despite the author insisting at the end that this is a gift, not a curse.
Well said. Some of the elements you mention are "okay" if you realize this is really a romance posing as historical fiction. However, realistically speaking, it is problematic that Angela was so deeply attracted to Alex in that way - good thing he was the "good guy" :D The rest of what you mention gives more indication that culture of the time/place really wasn't foremost in the author's mind.
kfwilson6
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

JuliaKay wrote: 05 Jun 2018, 18:27 It's hard to tell whether this would be a gift or a curse; I guess it would depend on how she feels about. I think it could help her to grow as a person in her current time though.

We really didn't get much indication of how either Angela or Alex felt about the visions. I would venture to say that in a sequel we may get more clarification on this. I presume that based on the tidbit of conversation that happens with Maria at the end.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

greenstripedgiraffe wrote: 28 Jun 2018, 06:40
K Geisinger wrote: 05 Jun 2018, 14:30
cristinaro wrote: 01 Jun 2018, 23:21 Although Angela Renatus claims she does not believe in fate, she finds herself swept off her feet by the irresistible attraction she feels for Alex Caine, a man she barely knows.

Do you think her visions of Fioretta and Sophia are credibly portrayed in the novel?
I think her connection is a curse. She has an irresistible attraction for Alex, to the extent she kisses him and converses without knowledge. That by itself is the stuff of nightmares. As the story progresses, she turns from a highly educated, strong woman into a weepy ghost of her former self. By the end of the story, Angela is hardly recognizable anymore.

I do not think either Fioretta or Sophia are portrayed credibly. Neither woman fit what would have been demanded of women in those time periods, but this novel was never meant to be strictly realistic. I have never met an old Italian man who would allow a female family member to go off by herself to a city, especially during war. Sophia's brothers would never have allowed her to stay in Florence during the war.

Assuming past selves are true, ignorance is the only thing that would save us from their faults. Angela may have found a painting, but she also agitated and upset an old woman to do so. Angela is even groped by the ghost of her past self's lover. Her knowledge of the past seems to bring no peace, despite the author insisting at the end that this is a gift, not a curse.
Well said. Some of the elements you mention are "okay" if you realize this is really a romance posing as historical fiction. However, realistically speaking, it is problematic that Angela was so deeply attracted to Alex in that way - good thing he was the "good guy" :D The rest of what you mention gives more indication that culture of the time/place really wasn't foremost in the author's mind.
You make a good point about Angela's deep attraction to Alex. It seemed a bit naive for her to become involved with him so quickly, especially after being sexually harassed by her boss. It's a good thing that Alex didn't have an agenda - for example, the way Scordato was after the painting for greedy reasons. Also, it was a good thing she wasn't sexually assaulted by Alex, considering she so willingly went to another country with him after knowing him such a short time.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Nicole42
Favorite Book: Just In Case You Ever Wonder
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicole42.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Nicole42 »

Even though her past lives connection is a curse. It put her in danger and caused her pain. It might have also been a gift in disguise all along. Perhaps she had to go through those awful times to find everything she needed.
samiam013
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 272
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samiam013.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by samiam013 »

I feel as though her connection with her past selves was more of a blessing than a curse, though I do see it as a bit of both. If she had not had the connection she would not have met Alex nor would she have been able to solve the mystery of the missing painting. As for it being a curse, yes her life would have been less risky and dangerous. But overall, yes, most definitely a gift to cherish. Who knows how it will help them in the future as well?
"Books give a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and life to everything". (Plato) :reading-7:

Smiles are contagious! Infect someone today! :D
[Valerie Allen]
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 773
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-allen.html
Latest Review: Utopia Project by Billy Dering

Post by [Valerie Allen] »

What can I say? I was completely turned off by the whole afterlife (past selves) connections.
And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. (Revelation 20:12 (NKJV) :reading-7:
garima597
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-garima597.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by garima597 »

Angela suffers emotionally due to her visions. In the starting of the book, she is portrayed as a strong woman, however due to her visions she end up fainting or sobbing in most of the scenes of the book. Based on this, i may say that visions become a curse for her.
G@RIMA :techie-studyingbrown:
Vscholz
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Bookshelf Size: 816
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vscholz.html
Latest Review: Primrose’s Curse by Kiara Shankar, Vinay Shankar
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Vscholz »

I think this question is akin to asking if immortality would be a blessing or a curse. Yes, there are pros in both situations but would they outweigh the cons?

In Angela's case, I think it could initially be viewed as a curse because the visions take so much out of her. However, she was able to recover a priceless piece of art and yeah, she met Alex and was able to get out of a bad work situation.

Perhaps, if Ami continues to follow Angela's story, she could grow stronger and not get as exhausted with her visions.
As for you & your heart & the things you said & didn't say, she will remember them all when men are fairy tales in books written by rabbits. (Schmendrick the Magician)
ccrews0408
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ccrews0408.html
Latest Review: From Hill Town to Strieby by Margo Lee Williams

Post by ccrews0408 »

It was a curse until it led her to the painting. It also led her to a life that she could have never imagined. She was also never harmed as a result of her gift.

Return to “Discuss "The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami”