Is Angela’s connection with her past selves a gift or a curse?

Use this forum to discuss the June 2018 Book of the Month"The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami
amandathebibliophile
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amandathebibliophile.html
Latest Review: Short of Love by Martin Knox

Re: Is Angela’s connection with her past selves a gift or a curse?

Post by amandathebibliophile »

I think Angela's connection with her past selves is more of a curse than a gift. However, at the end of the story, Alex's maid interestingly notes that she recognized that Angela has the "gift of sight," and that she could help hone Angela's skills for good. I think this is an interesting way to leave things for the reader, because one can only speculate that Angela could become more skilled at using her gift for good.
Anthony Martial Tata
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony-martial-tata.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Anthony Martial Tata »

Yes, she get into trouble due to connection with her past.
Nma26
Currently Reading: Destiny
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nma26.html

Post by Nma26 »

It is both.All the troubles in her life come as a result of that.Also, she meets the love of her life because of that.
JHuschle519
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jhuschle519.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose

Post by JHuschle519 »

I was at first tempted to say that it was both; a blessing and a curse. After thinking about it some more though, I believe it falls more into the category of blessing. For one thing, it was the flashbacks that saved her life and allowed her to break the cycle of heartache and death. Without the flashbacks Scordato would have probably killed both her and Alex. Another benefit of the flashbacks is that they let Angela know that she was meant to be with Alex. How many people can say they know for absolute certainty that they are with their soulmate?
dhomespot
Currently Reading: Blind Black Sheep
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dhomespot.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by dhomespot »

I actually think that it is both a blessing and a curse. The blessing because the past lives helped lead her in the direction she needed to go. A curse because I can only imagine that Angela felt like she was losing her mind when she would go into her trances.
"Maybe ever’body in the whole damn world is scared of each other."- John Steinbeck
Yssimnar
Favorite Book: Wives and Daughters
Currently Reading: No Man Knows My History
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yssimnar.html
Latest Review: Seer by Larry Austin

Post by Yssimnar »

Initially, the ability is a gift because it connects her to Alex, but I was sorry at the end how it is likely to keep haunting her. I think after this book, it will likely be a curse.
:wink:
Latest Review: Seer by Larry Austin
jay_2
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jay-2.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by jay_2 »

I would say a curse. Although, was good and useful at some points, still a curse. She went through quite a bit just becuase of it. So id say throughout the story it was overall a curse.
pixiequeer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pixiequeer.html
Latest Review: Mistress Suffragette by Diana Forbes

Post by pixiequeer »

I think it's a gift because that also in a sense means she carries the knowledge and wisdom of her past lives always. It also helped her come across the love of her life, and I'm sure gave her many life lessons.

But it's also a curse because she had to remember all the traumas of her past lives, and they're also the reason why Alex was almost killed, on top of her almost getting raped by Scordato.

I think it's a little of both, but Maria recognized her ability and called it a gift, and then the story ended. I think we'd have to know what happens after that to truly know if it's a gift or a curse. From the sounds of it, Maria has the same ability, and she seems happy about it, so we'll see, I guess.
Acab1606
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-acab1606.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by Acab1606 »

Food for thought and I enjoyed reading all of the other responses. Could certainly go both ways with this one but I think that as long as Angela can surround herself like Alex and now Maria who she can truly trust it is a gift. She can potentially help solve mysteries in the future. Her gift also brought her to Alex and changed her entire life/lifestyle and experiences since this adventure started for her.
Dusamae
Favorite Book: End of the Last Great Kingdom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 116
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dusamae.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis

Post by Dusamae »

I think it would be a curse. She doesn't even remember some of her earlier visions. She was lucky not to have been somewhere that she might have been assaulted.
Yes, I think the portrayal of the other two characters was credible. I enjoyed reading those parts.
booklysis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booklysis.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by booklysis »

I think that it's a blessing. If it was a curse than the bad wouldn't outweigh the good.
micoleon13
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-micoleon13.html
Latest Review: Sandusky Burning by Bryan W. Conway

Post by micoleon13 »

If the past life was a pleasant, happy one, it might have been more of a gift, but either way I think it would eventually end up being a curse as you would become confused as to which life you were really living
David Horta Alonso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-horta-alonso.html

Post by David Horta Alonso »

That to Mr sounded like reincarnation. She believes that she had met Alex in her past life. Yes, I believe in reincarnation. I saw that as a blessing since together, they set out in pursuit of the lost painting.
Taekwondoqueen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taekwondoqueen.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Post by Taekwondoqueen »

I think that this connection that she has with her past selves is a gift, but only if she embraces it. She seems to think that she can block out these visions, but they will always be able come through in the end, regardless if she wants to or not. I believe that if she embraces her connection, she will be able to control it and live with it, maybe even enjoy it, rather than not even tolerating it.
Naja Saba
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Naja Saba »

I think it is a blessing. It is a recipe thay shapes her destiny and pulls her closer to Alex.

Return to “Discuss "The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami”