Is Angela’s connection with her past selves a gift or a curse?

Use this forum to discuss the June 2018 Book of the Month"The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami
AshEileen2013
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asheileen2013.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Re: Is Angela’s connection with her past selves a gift or a curse?

Post by AshEileen2013 »

I would say it's both. It's a gift because she is able to change her future and relive her past. It's a curse because it takes a toll on her body, which makes her seem weak. I have always portrayed psychics and ghost whisperers as strong people, but this made her seem frail and weak.
David Horta Alonso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-horta-alonso.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by David Horta Alonso »

I see that as a blessing. She believes in reincarnation and that Alex and her had met in their past two lives. That pulls her closer to Alex.
GabbiV
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces you have to read before you die, vol 2
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabbiv.html
Latest Review: Of Illusions and Ink Spills by Divya Hirani
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by GabbiV »

I think Angela handled her past lives well, rather than feeling weighed down by their expectations, she used their experiences to guide her actions.

That said, maybe she handled her paranatural experiences with too much grace. She accepts her visions as fact pretty quickly, never really questioning their validity, and makes big decisions based on said visions.
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 958
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

I feel Angela's connection to her past selves is a blessing in the guise of a curse. No matter how much we think otherwise, we would love to feel connected to our past selves. So despite the frequent blackouts, I believe at the end Angela truly considers it to be a blessing.
David Horta Alonso
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-horta-alonso.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by David Horta Alonso »

Her connection with her past is destiny. It is an attractive force that pulls her closer to Alex, her prospective husband.
Facennagoss
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-facennagoss.html
Latest Review: Will of The Hill by Marshall Cobb

Post by Facennagoss »

It is definitely a curse. Angela’s life may have taken a very different path had she not had this connection but who is to say that is not a good thing? We should learn from the past but not dwell on it and in my opinion, this has been proven to be correct through Angela’s story.
Fozia-Bajwa
Currently Reading: The Newton Code
Bookshelf Size: 263
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fozia-bajwa.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Fozia-Bajwa »

Although the connection of Angela Merkel with her past is like a curse but she doesn't consider it as a curse but she takes all the troubles as a gift to make her life easier and consequently she succeeds in her efforts.
Yerenzhu
Currently Reading: World, Incorporated
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yerenzhu.html
Latest Review: My Author Is Dead by Michel Bruneau
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Yerenzhu »

I feel as if Angela's "sixth sense" or her visions is a curse. Who would want to know everything there is about themselves especially the date when they die? In this book, we see that Angela was affected somewhat by her previous lovers' death in the past. Life is about experiences and in the end, ignorance is bliss.
Sharill Rasowo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharill-rasowo.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Sharill Rasowo »

I felt like it was more of a curse than a gift just from the mess it made of her life.
RT_offscript
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rt-offscript.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by RT_offscript »

I think that Angela's connection with her past lives can be a curse and gift. Angela's constant blackouts leave her vulnerable. Furthermore, she sometimes based her decisions on the knowledge of her past lives; and the results of her choices can be bad. Therefore, the connection can be a curse. If her decisions result in a positive outcome, then the connection can be a gift.

Lastly, she did not have any visions in her past two lives; and Fioretta and Sophia lived the cursed lives of seeing their lovers die before their eyes. As Angela, however, she is privy to visions that her past lives were not. As a result, Alex is still alive; and this is her gift for having visions.

As to whether her visions were credibly portrayed or not....
I was slightly bothered by the ending, during which all of the ghosts of their past lives appeared to help Alex and Angela. If Angela was Fioretta and Sophia in her past lives, then I would like to think that they have only one soul. If so, how can one soul split into another two souls and appear at the same time? ...but after all Belle Ami's story is a fictional book; and I still enjoyed reading "The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci" - even with some of my reservations.
Rain18
Currently Reading: Concealment
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rain18.html
Latest Review: The Embalmer by Vincent Zandri

Post by Rain18 »

I'm going to go with both blessing and curse. A curse for all the many reasons already stated. But as far as I see it, the blessing comes in that through Angela, the curse that started with Fioretta and Giuliani is broken. Angela and Alex can finally live together without the haunting past of death and treachery and tragedy. Their child(ren) can grow up with two loving parents (barring any natural death) and there may finally be a happier ever after.

At least that's what I got from the ghosts of their past lives.
Rain18
“Criticism, like rain, should be gentle enough to nourish a man’s growth without destroying his roots.”
– Frank A. Clark
miracle mary
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by miracle mary »

for me Angela's past was a curse nor a blessing,fate took a course in her life
TessaC
Currently Reading: Lara's Journal
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tessac.html
Latest Review: Elastic Girl by Olivia Rana

Post by TessaC »

I just can't suspend belief enough in the past life regressions in this book. They are too complete, too present tense and too realistic. They are most definitely a curse. I do believe in reincarnation and I wish this book had been a little less fantasy and more history.
Ravinder+Kaur
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ravinder-kaur.html
Latest Review: Roadmap to the End of Days by Daniel Friedmann
Reading Device: Kindle

Post by Ravinder+Kaur »

Belle Ami has written a book of fantasy interweaving the past into the present, to add spice to the story. Now it's individual perspective to interpret the interference of the past as a gift or a curse.
But I would say probing into the past is going to invite disturbance into, maybe, a smooth and uneventful present.
NuelUkah
Favorite Book: Heaven and Earth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 283
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nuelukah.html
Latest Review: Dibs and Dabs of my Life by Gertrude Coulter

Post by NuelUkah »

I wouldn't say it's a gift or a curse?
If Angela had embraced it, it might have been a blessing and she won't have had some bad encounters. However, her perception of this supernatural ability attracted those experiences to her.
If you are TOO BIG to DO SMALL things, then you are TOO SMALL to DO BIG things...

If you want to be remembered long after you are gone, WRITE books worth READING or DO things worth WRITING about...

Return to “Discuss "The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami”