What is your favorite couple from the novel?

Use this forum to discuss the June 2018 Book of the Month"The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: What is your favorite couple from the novel?

Post by kfwilson6 »

bookowlie wrote: 27 Jun 2018, 17:09 It's interesting that pretty much none of us think Angela was the strongest female character. Considering she was the main character, I had hoped she would have been the most resilient and strongest of the bunch.
Maybe we just had less opportunity to get to know the weaknesses of the other two, and we were also set up to expect her to be at least intelligent, and we didn't even get to watch her use the strength of her mind.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

In developing Angela's personality, it felt more like a case of tell vs. show. The reader is told of her high intelligence and art historian skills, but we see less evidence of that and more of a helpless woman harassed by her boss and then overtaken by spirts.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Mouricia Allen
Currently Reading: Covet (Fallen Angels Series #1)
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mouricia25.html
Latest Review: The Life Inside Maggie Pincus by David I. Billingham
Reading Device: B01N3UC27N

Post by Mouricia Allen »

They are one couple in my eyes haha. I would only pick Alex and Angela because they had the happy ending.
Yoli García
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yoli-garc-a.html
Latest Review: A taste of Cuba by Birgitte Røddik

Post by Yoli García »

My favorite couple was Angela and Alex because the chemistry between was intense. I was happy when they finally got together. After them, I liked the storyline between Sophia and Gerhard the most. I could imagine them escaping through the Uffizi’s corridor.
"What matters in life is not what happens to you but what you remember and how you remember it."

-Gabriel García Márquez
greenstripedgiraffe
Currently Reading: The New Strong-Willed Child
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris

Post by greenstripedgiraffe »

bookowlie wrote: 27 Jun 2018, 17:09 It's interesting that pretty much none of us think Angela was the strongest female character. Considering she was the main character, I had hoped she would have been the most resilient and strongest of the bunch.
That's a fact. Angela came through it the best at the end, but that was the point. Throughout, she wasn't really "strong" though. She was more of a young, naive damsel in distress who didn't really know which way was up.
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

greenstripedgiraffe wrote: 28 Jun 2018, 06:51
That's a fact. Angela came through it the best at the end, but that was the point. Throughout, she wasn't really "strong" though. She was more of a young, naive damsel in distress who didn't really know which way was up.
So true! By the latter parts of the story, Angela seemed more like a vessel through which the clues to the missing painting flowed through.
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Yolimari wrote: 28 Jun 2018, 03:58 My favorite couple was Angela and Alex because the chemistry between was intense. I was happy when they finally got together. After them, I liked the storyline between Sophia and Gerhard the most. I could imagine them escaping through the Uffizi’s corridor.
I also loved the escape scenes. I know more than WWII history than the Renaissance period so I could imagine how dangerous it would be to escape from an area overtaken by the Nazis. It was also unique because you would never think of a Nazi officer going AWOL.
Yoli García

Post by Yoli García »

bookowlie wrote: 28 Jun 2018, 11:55
Yolimari wrote: 28 Jun 2018, 03:58 My favorite couple was Angela and Alex because the chemistry between was intense. I was happy when they finally got together. After them, I liked the storyline between Sophia and Gerhard the most. I could imagine them escaping through the Uffizi’s corridor.
I also loved the escape scenes. I know more than WWII history than the Renaissance period so I could imagine how dangerous it would be to escape from an area overtaken by the Nazis. It was also unique because you would never think of a Nazi officer going AWOL.
Actually, Nazi officers and soldiers did in fact desert, particularly at the end of the war. That was actually historically accurate in the story, and I liked that the author portrayed that. If they were found, they were shot in sight. (I have a master’s in European History.)
"What matters in life is not what happens to you but what you remember and how you remember it."

-Gabriel García Márquez
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Yolimari wrote: 28 Jun 2018, 12:29
Actually, Nazi officers and soldiers did in fact desert, particularly at the end of the war. That was actually historically accurate in the story, and I liked that the author portrayed that. If they were found, they were shot in sight. (I have a master’s in European History.)
Interesting! I am not surprised they were shot on sight if they were found. The Nazis weren't big on due process.
scratchcat318
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scratchcat318.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by scratchcat318 »

I ended up liking Angela and Alex the best, mostly because they had the most chemistry out of all the couples. The other couples were never really seen getting to know each other before falling in love and eloping. Angela and Alex actually had some good conversations before becoming a couple, and that was something I really enjoyed.
kfwilson6

Post by kfwilson6 »

Mouricia25 wrote: 27 Jun 2018, 21:27 They are one couple in my eyes haha. I would only pick Alex and Angela because they had the happy ending.
Don't be too hasty, only one week went by as Ami reminded us. Maybe in the sequel.we will see elements of a real, deeper relationship.
kfwilson6

Post by kfwilson6 »

Interesting fact. Sounds like something we could learn from today's BOTD! I wouldn't be surprised to learn many Nazis did what was necessary to survive after seeing the brutality their countrymen utilized.
kfwilson6

Post by kfwilson6 »

scratchcat318 wrote: 28 Jun 2018, 21:56 I ended up liking Angela and Alex the best, mostly because they had the most chemistry out of all the couples. The other couples were never really seen getting to know each other before falling in love and eloping. Angela and Alex actually had some good conversations before becoming a couple, and that was something I really enjoyed.
We even got to experience some relationship drama when Angela found out that Alex is wealthy and didn't immediately confess to it. That scene really bothered me as it was one of Angela's most ridiculous moments. It's not like Alex had much opportunity to tell her.
Samy Lax
Currently Reading: 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff

Post by Samy Lax »

True love is always a winner in my book. So, my choice among the ones you have listed: Giuliano and Fioretta. Aren't they the best? :)
“...in principle and reality, libraries are life-enhancing palaces of wonder.”
― Gail Honeyman, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine
Yoli García

Post by Yoli García »

Actually, Nazi officers and soldiers did in fact desert, particularly at the end of the war. That was actually historically accurate in the story, and I liked that the author portrayed that. If they were found, they were shot on sight. (I have a master’s in European History.)

-Gabriel García Márquez

Return to “Discuss "The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami”