What is your favorite couple from the novel?

Use this forum to discuss the June 2018 Book of the Month"The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami
Mouricia Allen
Currently Reading: Covet (Fallen Angels Series #1)
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mouricia25.html
Latest Review: The Life Inside Maggie Pincus by David I. Billingham
Reading Device: B01N3UC27N

Re: What is your favorite couple from the novel?

Post by Mouricia Allen »

kfwilson6 wrote: 28 Jun 2018, 22:06
Mouricia25 wrote: 27 Jun 2018, 21:27 They are one couple in my eyes haha. I would only pick Alex and Angela because they had the happy ending.
Don't be too hasty, only one week went by as Ami reminded us. Maybe in the sequel.we will see elements of a real, deeper relationship.
oh Lord.. I had no idea there was going to be a sequel.. I don't know how to feel haha
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

Mouricia25 wrote: 29 Jun 2018, 06:45
kfwilson6 wrote: 28 Jun 2018, 22:06
Mouricia25 wrote: 27 Jun 2018, 21:27 They are one couple in my eyes haha. I would only pick Alex and Angela because they had the happy ending.
Don't be too hasty, only one week went by as Ami reminded us. Maybe in the sequel.we will see elements of a real, deeper relationship.
oh Lord.. I had no idea there was going to be a sequel.. I don't know how to feel haha
There has been some discussion in another forum about this. I don't think everyone is in agreement that a sequel is a good idea. In particular regarding Angela's visions of past lives. Will she have access to other past lives? Will Ami give her visions that are explained in a different way? I think the continuation of the couple is part of the reason readers didn't all enjoy the past-life regression aspect. That can only last so long before it doesn't make any sense.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

In Book #2, maybe the author will give a further explanation for Angela's visions. Instead of her visions being past-life regression, they could be due to a pyschic gift. Although I don't think that would be consistent with how things were explained in this book, it will be interesting to see how it's handled. It would almost be comical if it turned into a string of past lives in each installment.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
420waystoreachthesun
Currently Reading: Bomb Goggles
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-420waystoreachthesun.html
Latest Review: The Complete Thief Series: Boxed Set by Michael Dirubio

Post by 420waystoreachthesun »

Fioretta and Giuliano any day. I just loved the context of the romance.
Emilyflint
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 12756">The Last Battle</a>
Currently Reading: Gameboard of the Gods
Bookshelf Size: 248
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emilyflint.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by Emilyflint »

Fioretta and Guiliano. Obviously it was a tragedy from the start. But it certainly shows true love. The descriptions and feeling were so well written
kfwilson6

Post by kfwilson6 »

Romeo and Juliet is touted as a great romance but it had a swift, tragic ending. I think the suddenness with which love is cut off makes the love itself seem that much more intense.

Fioretta and Guiliano's love definitely shines through in this book. Especially when Fioretta loses Guiliano.
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Although Fioretta was heartbroken over losing Giuliano, she became much more practical and no-nonsense when it came to how her baby should be raised. One tough mama!
kfwilson6

Post by kfwilson6 »

I love when parents put their children's needs above anything else. When I first started reading that portion about Fioretta giving birth and claiming she was going to die, I thought she was being overly dramatic. That she either knew so little about childbirth to understand the changes in her body or that she was just in pain and wanted it to end. I thought her goodbyes were a little premature, but I read the situation wrong.
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

kfwilson6 wrote: 29 Jun 2018, 13:03 I love when parents put their children's needs above anything else. When I first started reading that portion about Fioretta giving birth and claiming she was going to die, I thought she was being overly dramatic. That she either knew so little about childbirth to understand the changes in her body or that she was just in pain and wanted it to end. I thought her goodbyes were a little premature, but I read the situation wrong.
I also thought she was being a little overdramatic, although in those days it was likely hard to save a patient from something life-threatening. I'm sure many women died after giving birth without the advances in medicine we take for granted. People probably often died from something as simple as the common cold.
scratchcat318
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scratchcat318.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by scratchcat318 »

kfwilson6 wrote: 28 Jun 2018, 22:12
scratchcat318 wrote: 28 Jun 2018, 21:56 I ended up liking Angela and Alex the best, mostly because they had the most chemistry out of all the couples. The other couples were never really seen getting to know each other before falling in love and eloping. Angela and Alex actually had some good conversations before becoming a couple, and that was something I really enjoyed.
We even got to experience some relationship drama when Angela found out that Alex is wealthy and didn't immediately confess to it. That scene really bothered me as it was one of Angela's most ridiculous moments. It's not like Alex had much opportunity to tell her.
That scene bothered me a lot, too! I thought it was very irritating that Angela had such a huge overreaction to something that really wasn't that big of a deal. Plus the scene only lasts a couple of pages, so I didn't understand what the point of it was in the first place. It felt super out of place considering the direction the story seemed to be going at that point and was very annoying in my opinion. Thankfully, the rest of their scenes seem to make up for this ridiculous one.
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Good point! I thought the whole plotline about Alex not initially telling Angela he was rich and her eventual reaction was completely unnecessary to the story. It just took the story off track. I can see the author's motive for wanting to give Alex a backstory, but it just added clutter to the story. I felt the same way about Scordato harassing Angela, although to a lesser extent. That part of the story was interesting, but it was too stretched out and gave the story a slow start.
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by LV2R »

I liked Angela and Alex the best, probably because there was more detail about them and they were in the present day. I liked how they had a working relationship and respected each other in the first half of the book. I liked that all the couples truly loved each other.
Thimble
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 6338">Iron Kissed</a>
Currently Reading: A Wise Man's Fear
Bookshelf Size: 270
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thimble.html
Latest Review: The Captain's Collie by Ace Mask
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Thimble »

I liked Fioretta and Giuliano the best. Of the three men, he was the least creepy. Alex was the worst in my opinion.
"You can never leave footprints that last if you are always walking on tiptoe." - Leymah Gbowee
Stanley Ann
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stanley-ann.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by Stanley Ann »

Fioretta and Giuliano were my favorite characters. They are likable characters and so I felt like identifying with them.
samiam013
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 272
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samiam013.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by samiam013 »

Fioretta Gorini and Giuliano de Medici's love story was the most magical to me. I believe it is because we learn the most about these two characters as well as the tie into Da Vinci himself. Belle Ami portrays the love between Fioretta and Giuliano in a very real and in-depth way which I found quite enjoyable to read. You fell in love with the characters yourself with her use of description.
"Books give a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and life to everything". (Plato) :reading-7:

Smiles are contagious! Infect someone today! :D

Return to “Discuss "The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami”