Angela's Character

Use this forum to discuss the June 2018 Book of the Month"The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami
Swat3737
Favorite Book: Mists of avalon
Currently Reading: Good Omens
Bookshelf Size: 631
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-swat3737.html
Latest Review: Sherlock and I A Memoir of Medical Mysteries in a US Rural Practice by Frederick Kassis, MD

Re: Angela's Character

Post by Swat3737 »

cristinaro wrote: 04 Jun 2018, 07:02 On the whole, she seemed so helpless although she is first introduced as a strong woman with a doctorate in progress and the internship of her dreams. She gradually relies completely on Alex who apparently becomes her boss in both her professional and private life.
I agree completely. Every scene after the first third of the book, she cries at the smallest things which makes her seem weak and helpless. I don't think this was the author's intention, but in making Alex seem like the perfect man, it took away from Angela's strength and character. Also, the number of references to Alex's eye wiggling was maddening!
Yerenzhu
Currently Reading: World, Incorporated
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yerenzhu.html
Latest Review: My Author Is Dead by Michel Bruneau
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Yerenzhu »

Whenever she started spending more and more time with Alex, I felt as if her character, being this prominent strong female lead was overshadowed by Alex's powerful character. He had money and a fortune. She just had her brains. I wished we could have seen more with her character development.
Power Onyango
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-power-onyango.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Power Onyango »

Angela was a strong character. She is the fighting spirit of womanhood. Her flaws towards the book end dampens her personality.
KMSingh
Favorite Book: Major Pettigrew's Last Stand
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kmsingh.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by KMSingh »

I agree that Angela's character was very underdeveloped. She's described as brilliant, but never does anything brilliant. But her worse sin, in my opinion, was her passivity. I mean this in a dramatic sense. She is, after all, the title character. She's the focus of the story, yet she doesn't actually DO anything aside from having visions and fainting. Things happen TO her. She never makes a strong choice that drives the action forward, which is the definition of dramatic action.

I also had a problem with how the story was resolved. SPOILER ALERT: Basically, the Angela and Alex are saved by the actions of the "ghosts". The concept was interesting, but the execution needed a lot more development.
KMSingh
Favorite Book: Major Pettigrew's Last Stand
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kmsingh.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by KMSingh »

Jgideon wrote: 06 Jun 2018, 06:37 Thanks to the creativity of the author, Angela's education and brilliant mind would not have solved the mystery without the past-life regression. I think that's the whole idea about the story. I do agree with you that somehow the regressions made her look silly but her ability to solve the puzzle makes her a strong character.
But did she solve the mystery? I don't think so. All the clues were handed to her in the visions. At no time did either she or Alex try to do anything about the clues. The one exception might be their trip to meet Sophia's daughter in order to learn the location of the cave. But even then the only clue is given to Angela in a vision, which was annoying because she'd already been given that clue in an earlier vision.

A lot of this was inherent in the story's concept of past life regression. But every story concept has some inherent problem or challenge that the writer must solve in order to develop the story.
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

I think she proved she was strong when she thwarted Scordato's attempt to rape her. Yes, I agree that there were times that I wished she would quit crying and move on, but, maybe, we all have aspects of both in us.
Julie Petitbon
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)
Currently Reading: Becoming Michele Obama
Bookshelf Size: 699
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-petitbon.html
Latest Review: Sophia Violet and the Fiery Orb by Evangeline Greene
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Julie Petitbon »

I thought she was a strong women who was emotionally and physically weakened by what was happening to her. Trusting Alex while she was so vulnerable showed strength as well. That being said, her character did seem inconsistent at times, especially toward the end when she seemed more helpless victim than strong, independent woman.
Choine
Currently Reading: Cinder
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-choine.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
Reading Device: 1400699894

Post by Choine »

I liked her character at first. However, once the whole romance-thing started, I started thinking of her as some helpless, love-sick teenager.
Jajachris
Currently Reading: The Blue Lagoon (Official Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jajachris.html
Latest Review: The Spirituality Puzzle by James Rondinone and Renee Rondinone

Post by Jajachris »

revna01 wrote: 06 Jun 2018, 09:56 I feel like the relationship between Angela and Alex did no favors to Angela's likeability. With the extent and nature of her education, I would have expected a stronger character throughout the book.
You opinion is spot-on. I cannot agree less to the fact that her relationship with Alex did no favors to her likeability. S
Medhansh Bhardwaj
Currently Reading: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-medhansh-bhardwaj.html
Latest Review: Mrs. White’s SUB SNIPS by Laura Moss White

Post by Medhansh Bhardwaj »

Seeing such a passionate and independent woman turn into a helpless girl was definitely hard for me. But this was the way the author developed Angela's character, so I think it's fine.
Simmons32
Currently Reading: Cengage Advantage Books
Bookshelf Size: 673
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-simmons32.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Simmons32 »

I will admit I didn’t care for the whole reincarnation thing, but I didn’t have an issue with the character. What I didn’t care for is that it seemed to always be sex on the brain with these characters, including Angela.
Ashna_Tibrewal_7
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashna-tibrewal-7.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Ashna_Tibrewal_7 »

Sh started with strong character but slowly turned silly. I think this portrayed that she got out of her barriers and now finally lives freely instead of trying to save and protect herself.
Trashford
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Trashford »

I think Angela's character was quite different from the characters of her past life, she was kinda soft, easily oppressed and harrased; things her alter ego won't take likely.
Monica Omonigho Bennymoore
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-monica-omonigho-bennymoore.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Monica Omonigho Bennymoore »

Angela's character almost became irrelevant due to the over excessive apparitions experienced by a clueless personality who does not know what to do with the visions. She was a weakling in the better part of the book until the last episode where she was manipulated to do the right thing. She hardly had a mind of her own despite advantaged positions she occupies.
Mellino Itz
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mellino-itz.html
Latest Review: Good Sexual Hygiene & Spiritual Attitude by Anthony A. Morris

Post by Mellino Itz »

Even the strongest gets week at time, The abuse she faced at work, the sleeplessness, the trance and her trying to understand herself before Alex came into her life all played a role in her regression. To me she was still a very strong character.

Return to “Discuss "The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami”