Paranormal Elements

Use this forum to discuss the June 2018 Book of the Month"The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami
samiam013
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 272
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samiam013.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Re: Paranormal Elements

Post by samiam013 »

I love books that include a paranormal element in the storyline. I don't think I would have enjoyed "The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci" as much without the paranormal included. Belle Ami does a beautiful job in weaving the three separate time periods together and her inclusion of the paranormal added to the intrigue of the story overall.
"Books give a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and life to everything". (Plato) :reading-7:

Smiles are contagious! Infect someone today! :D
[Valerie Allen]
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 773
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-allen.html
Latest Review: Utopia Project by Billy Dering

Post by [Valerie Allen] »

Oh, my! One of the major things I do not like. I don't like the unrealistic sense of supernatural ghosts crossing over from past to present.
And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. (Revelation 20:12 (NKJV) :reading-7:
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

The paranormal flavor has definitely helped to spice things up.
garima597
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-garima597.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by garima597 »

Yes, it is more realistic without the use of paranormal elements but i enjoys them in the story. They are executed very nicely by the author. The Paranormal elements make the book more enjoyable for me.
G@RIMA :techie-studyingbrown:
Northernbird84
Currently Reading: The Crossing
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-northernbird84.html
Latest Review: Fulfillment by ICA

Post by Northernbird84 »

cristinaro wrote: 04 Jun 2018, 07:52 I don't know what would have happened with this book if the paranormal elements had not been right there to keep it together. Although Angela's blackouts seem ridiculous at times, they make the time switches possible and provide clues to find the missing painting. I also have the feeling Belle Ami plans to exploit them further in the next books of the series.
That's a really good point, I have found that used incorrectly paranormal experiences can seem silly and even detract from the story.
It's hard to tell in the first book of a series, it may be something that the author builds on in future instalments.
Latest Review: Fulfillment by ICA
Abigail R
Currently Reading: The Problem of Pain
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abigail-r.html
Latest Review: My Prism Window by P. A. Schweizer

Post by Abigail R »

I have not gotten a change yet to read this book, and perhaps it is not recommended to read forums on a book you haven't read because of all the inevitable spoilers. However, the more I read the forums, the more I want to read it. So far, it sounds like there are so many different layers and elements to this book that I can't wait to finally read it!
Nanig83006
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nanig83006.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by Nanig83006 »

I'm usually in great favor of paranormal and fantasy, so this was a nice addition to the plot. It helped with transitions, though at some points I did feel it was over the top. lol
Anthony Martial Tata
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony-martial-tata.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Anthony Martial Tata »

I don't like discussions on paranormal events. I like books to be centred in real happenings of the society and not some exaggerated supernatural occurrence.
JHuschle519
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jhuschle519.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose

Post by JHuschle519 »

I did not have any issue with the paranormal elements of the book existing. I think the only thing I struggled with was how easily Angela and Alex accepted them. It seemed like there should have been a little more resistance to the idea of past lives and reincarnation, especially in two people who did not initially believe in such things.
Anthony Martial Tata
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony-martial-tata.html

Post by Anthony Martial Tata »

I hate paranormal events in a book. it is difficult to relate with them. They may leave some readers more miserable.
dbulkley
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dbulkley.html
Latest Review: Seer by Larry Austin

Post by dbulkley »

I did like the paranormal subject matter. It didn't necessarily add a ton to the novel. It certainly helps that I am a fan of such ideas, but honestly could've been fine with or without.
Yssimnar
Favorite Book: Wives and Daughters
Currently Reading: No Man Knows My History
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yssimnar.html

Post by Yssimnar »

It seemed like the story resolution was the spirits can will what they want so why should I worry too much about the characters. The intervention made me less likely to read the next in the series.
:wink:
Nma26
Currently Reading: Destiny
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nma26.html

Post by Nma26 »

I love the paranormal elements of the story.For me, it made the story more interesting and exciting.
pixiequeer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pixiequeer.html
Latest Review: Mistress Suffragette by Diana Forbes

Post by pixiequeer »

I think the paranormal elements are meant to be there, especially because they play such a big part in the story.

You could simplify the plot and say the plot is just about finding the painting, but then you would have to take out the part about reincarnation and the past lives leading them to the painting, so on and so forth. So much of this story would be different without the paranormal aspect.

All the past lives played an active part in the story, not just in her visions.

There would have to be another way for them to find the painting and everything, which would change the characters altogether, as well as the character development.

I don't know, I just feel like the paranormal aspect played such a big part, that it literally wouldn't be the same story anymore. At all. And none of the characters would be the same.

That's basically like saying keep the same basic plot, but change literally everything else; rewrite the entire book.

At that point, the title might not have even been the same; in fact, it may have become irrelevant.
David Horta Alonso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-horta-alonso.html

Post by David Horta Alonso »

There are surely paranormal events in the text including reincarnation. Angela thinks that Alex and she had met in two past lives. This sounded illogical. I do not know if reincarnation is possible.

Return to “Discuss "The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami”