Overall rating and opinion of "The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami

Use this forum to discuss the June 2018 Book of the Month"The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami
Calypso Terrier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-calypso-terrier.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami

Post by Calypso Terrier »

Wonderful book! I love how it is a mystery, and so immersed in the world of art. I especially like the parts when art historian Angela is drawn into the past. I found this book quite similar to the "Da Vinci Code", and overall a great book.

pixiequeer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pixiequeer.html
Latest Review: Mistress Suffragette by Diana Forbes

Post by pixiequeer »

I will say, I have never made a point to seek out any of the genres that could be put on this book, but I do love love stories and paranormal happenings, and this book was a lot more than I bargained for.

I loved absolutely every aspect of this book, including the art and historical references. I also am not one for erotic or murder scenes particularly, but they blended well with the rest of the book, and for once, I did not mind them.

The only thing that bothered me was the amount of typos and other grammatical errors, mostly in punctuation. I would not recommend this book to anyone that this would hinder their reading experience, as it almost did for me because I had to reread certain parts so many times to understand due to the errors.

Overall, I rated this book a three out of four.

Rain18
2018 Reading Goal: 25
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 24
Currently Reading: Concealment
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rain18.html
Latest Review: The Embalmer by Vincent Zandri

Post by Rain18 »

I really enjoyed this book and had a hard time putting it down. Belle Ami does an excellent job of melding the three timelines together into one cohesive and beautiful love story. I like the fact that she placed a lot of effort into character development, even down to the physical traits, such as the heterochromia trait showing up in Sophia and Gerhard's daughter. I felt that the sex scenes were over the top for a romance book though and that there was a big preoccupation with having sex versus solving the mystery of the missing painting. I rated the book a 3 out of 4 and would definitely recommend it to others.

Kareka88
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 4
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 224
Favorite Book: A Ring of Endless Light
Currently Reading: The Rooster Bar
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kareka88.html
Latest Review: Will of The Hill by Marshall Cobb
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kareka88 »

I have not read this book and from the mixed reviews, I don't think I will be reading it any time soon. Having read the reviews about not only the “steamy” sex scenes, but also a paranormal aspect this does not seem like my style of book.
"Life is an occasion - rise to it." Mr. Magorian

asere_maryanne
2018 Reading Goal: 20
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 80
Currently Reading: Source
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asere-maryanne.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by asere_maryanne »

The book sounds interesting, I wish there was a free copy

Fozia-Bajwa
Currently Reading: Mining for Alaskan Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 258
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fozia-bajwa.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Fozia-Bajwa »

As i read , i liked the loving couples and their relationships throughout. i will describe after reading it completely it hoped i may be so.

sam_jennifer_may
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sam-jennifer-may.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by sam_jennifer_may »

I thought this book was amazing. The use of art and history made this book like nothing I had ever read before. This combination of romance, history and the paranormal makes this story unique and different, something which is very hard to find. I would recommend this book, however I do think it’s target audience is limited to avid book lovers as oppose to casual book readers.

Jmar_la
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 24
Currently Reading: Toxic Side Effect
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jmar-la.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

Post by Jmar_la »

I read the The Girl Who Knew da Vinci because I was going to do a review on it. I liked the unique plot of being set in 3 different centuries but at the same locations. I also like the artistic part of it and of course, the most romantic setting. I was not crazy about the sexual aspect of it. I liked it better when there was a story going on, rather than so much sex. I still gave it a 4 out of 4 because it was well written, but as I said I would have liked more of the plot and less of the sex. I liked that there was complete openess between the two main characters and no jealousy and stuff like that which usually is written in novels to add more intrigue, but in this case I felt like it was as it should have been.

AshEileen2013
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asheileen2013.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Post by AshEileen2013 »

I loved the fact that it switched between various time periods. I absolutely love everything about the past from horrible to the phenomenal. I didn't, however, enjoy the fact that sex became an overwhelming factor in the book and took away from the main storyline. I would recommend this book to other people, for sure, but now with high expectations. The novel could have been tremendous but the sex took away from that for me.

jjmainor
Currently Reading: The House Where Evil Dwells...Thirteen Tells
Bookshelf Size: 171
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jjmainor.html
Latest Review: Beyond Cloud Nine (Beyond Saga Book 1) by Greg Spry

Post by jjmainor »

bookowlie wrote:
05 Jun 2018, 11:19
I enjoyed the book although I felt the mystery could have contained more clues. There is too much emphasis on the paranormal elements in solving the mystery. I would have liked a more traditional set of clues. When I first reviewed the book, I felt the painting mystery was the principal focus. After mulling it over, I think the romance and paranormal elements overwhelmed the mystery and made the story less serious. I still liked the book and found it a quick read.
I would agree. Their whole plan was to wait for Angela to have a vision showing them where the painting was...and Scordato's whole plan was to follow them around and wait for Angela to have the vision. The letters that were mentioned when they first hooked up seemed like a clue worth presenting to the reader, but when we got to see them, all they added to was the romance - they did nothing to further the mystery aspect. I'm at the point where they're about to harrass an old woman with Alzheimers, not to get any clues, but to trigger another vision.

That said, the story is an excellent romance. Belle Ami is excellent with the narrative, but as a thriller, it doesn't work for me.

David Horta Alonso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-horta-alonso.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by David Horta Alonso »

I think the book was interesting. I loved the pieces of art therein. That is what pulls Alex closer to Angela. i gave the book a rating of 3 out of 4 stars.

Shruti Banik
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shruti-banik.html
Latest Review: A Police Action by A. A. Freda

Post by Shruti Banik »

I'm not a fan of history or art book, but the name of the book urges me to read it. Da Vinci was a fantastic personality and something concerning him ought to be a worthwhile read. I think I will give this book a try, and hopefully end up liking it.

David Horta Alonso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-horta-alonso.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by David Horta Alonso »

I liked Angela's personality, she's a brave girl. I would recommend the book to lovers of art.

Pandoram
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pandoram.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Pandoram »

I loved the book. From the moment I started reading it I could not put it down. However, I found the romantic parts to be the only parts of the book that I wanted to skip. I could have done without so much sex or how lengthy those part of the book were. I also wish that the painting would have been found in a more mysterious place.

TALIA ONYANGO
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-talia-onyango.html
Latest Review: The Lost Identity Casualties by Kim Ekemar

Post by TALIA ONYANGO »

An interesting children book. The language is simple and easy to understand. My rating of the book was 3 out of 4 stars.

Return to “Discuss "The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami”