Overall rating and opinion of "The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami

Use this forum to discuss the June 2018 Book of the Month"The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami

Post by gen_g »

This is a fascinating read, as it very skilfully weaves 3 different time periods into a single book. I liked Angela's story and character development - which made the book even better since I love rounded characters.
KimbelryJade
Currently Reading: My Trip To Adele
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by KimbelryJade »

I definitely want to give this book a try. It sounds intriguing, romance, mystery and paranormal all rolled into historical goodness. :techie-studyinggray:
kjs237
Currently Reading: Sleeping Beauties
Bookshelf Size: 231
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kjs237.html
Latest Review: Roadmap to the End of Days by Daniel Friedmann

Post by kjs237 »

This sounds like a good read for me. I love the symbolism in da Vinci's art and historical fiction so it would be a good match for me. I know we shouldn't judge a book by its cover but I was drawn to this book because of the cover. I will be interested in unraveling the mystery and look forward to what I might learn from the art and its history.
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

I will have to give this book 3 out of 4 stars. I really enjoyed the hunt for the painting as well as the spiritual connection Angela had to Sophia and Fioretta. The romance aspect of the story was my least favorite part. When the characters have known each other for a week and are already promising they would never get bored with each other, I just want to tell them to give it a year first. I have seen complaints about the intimacy between Alex and Angela. In that regard, I have to say that the description of their physical relationship was fine, but the dialogue between them when they made love was awful. It was so cheesy and made them seem overly needy.

Overall, I enjoyed this book immensely. It moved at a quick pace and I liked how it all wrapped up in the end. I enjoyed the small paranormal aspect to the book and can see Angela and Alex continuing to hunt for artwork in future installments should Ami ever choose to make this into a series.
Van112
Currently Reading: How To Fall In Love
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivianne-nat.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Van112 »

I think this is a nice book. Good cover art and title. Interesting plot and story to tell as well. Lovers of the mystery genre would find this a wonderful read. It actually has a lot of genres mixed up in a story. Well recommended to mature audiences.
:techie-studyingbrown:

“I don't think all writers are sad, she said. I think it's the other way around- all sad people write.” - Langleav
Cheryl12
Currently Reading: The Employee Millionaire - Personal Workbook
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cheryl12.html
Latest Review: Looking Glass Friends by E L Neve

Post by Cheryl12 »

This book tells about drama, love, decption and adventure. "The Girl Who knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami is filled with suspense while the puzzle has to do with the search for the sudden disappearance of a piece of Leonardo da Vinci painting. Later, there was dream and vision from Angela Renatus, the Art Historian about the distinguished Artist details of the painting, Giuliano Medici and his mate Floretta.

Another person in hot pursuit on the case for this wealthy Max Jaeger to solve this mystery is Alex Caine an Art Detective. Jaeger wanted his uncle Gerhard's name to be free from all the confusion. There were letters from Gerhard to his mom giving full details about the da Vinci painting. But the German Officer, Gerhard could not be found after, around the time of World War II.

However, a third person quietly searching for the painting was Alberto Scordato, very conniving, powerful man of the Arts and a sociopath. He wanted Angela to solve this mystery so he could later have the valuable painting and then get rid of her. So, he paid off the security guard to secretly follow Angela around. But when Scordato met the Expert Art Detective Alex, he became irated and told him that he was once hired to solve the mystery and discovered that everything was a hoax and the painting never existed. But Alex tried to explain to the Scordato guy that the painting was stolen from Uffizi Museum and the aim is to find the painting to place again on display at the museum. Hence, this would clear all the doubts about Jaeger uncle Gerhard. Alex, knew that Scordato background was not squeaky clean as he became wealthy the dishonest way. Scordato plan was to find the painting first and would even go to the extreme to take Angela and Alex out of this world to have this valuable painting. Through all of this, Alex tried to protect Angela from Scordato and ponder over why she was still working at the LA Getty Museum under the Scordato.

Moreover, the mixture of adventure, love, then and now is fascinating. There is a shift in yester year, now, the plot and the main people involve can be assessed. We have seen the flow in the 14th century with Giuliano, Floretta and friend da Vinci. Whereas currently this would be Angela and Alex solving the puzzle for the sudden disappearance of the painting. Also, the unfolding of memories in World War II on Gerhard and his beloved Ms. Sophia.

Yet that close bond Angela felt along with Floretta and Sophia moved the story at a phenomenal level. The plot became deep when Alex felt a bond with Giuliano and Gerhard. Then the rekindling of old relationship seems to link with Angela and Alex. Hence, the message and plot kind of blend.
Also, the current day search shifted to Italy making an actual glow for Imagery so the reader would be captivated by the attractive picturesque.

The least that I like about the book is twist that Scordato made to the mystery making it more complicated and how he tried to manipulate Angela

Most of all, love in the air bloom from all angle for Angela and Alex attraction love thing. While the painting puzzle takes on the main event, love bond and drama gives a little flavor for the reader to continue and read this book. Therefore, I would recommend the book to other people.

My actual rating for "The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci" is a three out of four Stars. I found only a few grammatical errors but the book is still fascinating to read.
Maxxe Riann
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maxxe-riann.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by Maxxe Riann »

I'm definitely pulled in by the title. I love a good mystery. In theme, reminds me a bit of a cross between The Smile, and maybe Dream of Scipio in some ways. Altogether, a good read.
Melchi Asuma
Currently Reading: Patch Man
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melchi-asuma.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Melchi Asuma »

I am yet to read the book and thus I can't quite comment on its perfections. However, reading your comments and knowing a bit of history with Da Vinci, I feel like this book is just great. I will get it sometime.
MA
Rhianne
Currently Reading: Small Change
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhianne.html
Latest Review: Pancake Money by Finn Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Rhianne »

I have a soft spot for mysteries (and books in general) that include art and art history. The title put me off because of Dan Brown's The Da Vinci Code being a book that I really disliked. Reading the book so far it's only da Vinci that they have in common which is a definite plus for me. (Sorry, Dan Brown fans.)
DustinPBrown
Currently Reading: My Family and Other Animals
Bookshelf Size: 309
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dustinpbrown.html
Latest Review: It's Never Water Under the Bridge by Rianne Moss

Post by DustinPBrown »

I haven't read this yet, but it sounds like a really good read! Mystery with art and history, right up my alley!
Jillpillbooknerd
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 1908
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jillpillbooknerd.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Jillpillbooknerd »

I just finished the book today and I have some feelings about it. While I liked the concept of the book as it progressed I got bored with it pretty quickly. After about 50% through it was pretty plain to see that Alex and Angela were going to figure out the mystery and end up happily ever after together. I would have liked this much better had the romance not been a part of it. Why does every good concept have to end up with the main characters getting together? I started off liking The Girl Who Knew da Vinci but ended up figuring out the plot and the ending before I was even close to finishing the book. I'm not sure I would recommend this or not.
Chelsy Scherba
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jordan David
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 837
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsy-scherba.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
fav_author_id: 64963

Post by Chelsy Scherba »

I haven’t read the entire book yet, but based on the introduction and first chapter, I would give it four stars.
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

I really like the deep mystery in it. The plot thickens with suspense, and it was a mix of everything. I alos like the cat and mouse chase in it. Above all, it was a good read.
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Amy+++
Favorite Book: The Mister
Currently Reading: Last Chance Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 219
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B01CRGNO4S

Post by Amy+++ »

Still want to read this book, but it hasn't shown up yet in my list of books to review. Each time I get on this forum the posts about this book get better and better. Seriously can't wait to read this book.
Elldarling
Currently Reading: The Picture of Dorian Gray
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elldarling.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by Elldarling »

Having read some of these reviews, it has fully convinced me to give this book a go. I can’t wait to express my thoughts on it after I read this intriguing mystery!
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Return to “Discuss "The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami”