I don't like the cover page picture

Use this forum to discuss the May 2018 Book of the Month, "The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid" by Gary Robinson
JeanTheBean
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeanthebean.html
Latest Review: American River: Tributaries by Mallory M. O'Connor

Re: I don't like the cover page picture

Post by JeanTheBean »

I thought the cover was great and totally in keeping with the book. A tattood man swallowing a sword is the only image that could have appeared on the cover because that is what the story is about.

In a way, it was quite nice of Gary Robinson to give his potential readers a vivid visual hint about what they might reasonably expect to find between the pages. Just think how much of a shock this book would be for anyone who picked it out 'because it had such a nice picture on the jacket'.

The fact that it was a photograph, and therefore real, was one of the things that caught my eye and drew me to choose this book to review over the others on offer.

The idea of someone willingly swallowing swords time after time, in the full knowledge that each time might kill them is totally repugnant to me; so is alcoholism and drug addiction. However, Duke's philosophy of only ever owning the present moment, and living that moment to the full, even if it might kill you, was inspirational.

I loved the book and the jacket too. Great job Gary Robinson!
Radiant3
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Healing Your Attachment Wounds
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-radiant3.html
Latest Review: The Way of the Goddess by Ananta Ripa Ajmera

Post by Radiant3 »

I found the cover page picture fitting for the book. The book was about the Sword Swallower and his influence.
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

I get what you and most of the folks are saying, and I think there is an alternate cover page that is not as grisly. However, I was not that bothered with the first cover. I was rather of the opinion that it portrayed the events and the character of Duke very succintly.
Shrabastee Chakraborty

JeanTheBean wrote: 29 Nov 2018, 08:50 I thought the cover was great and totally in keeping with the book. A tattood man swallowing a sword is the only image that could have appeared on the cover because that is what the story is about.

In a way, it was quite nice of Gary Robinson to give his potential readers a vivid visual hint about what they might reasonably expect to find between the pages. Just think how much of a shock this book would be for anyone who picked it out 'because it had such a nice picture on the jacket'.

The fact that it was a photograph, and therefore real, was one of the things that caught my eye and drew me to choose this book to review over the others on offer.

The idea of someone willingly swallowing swords time after time, in the full knowledge that each time might kill them is totally repugnant to me; so is alcoholism and drug addiction. However, Duke's philosophy of only ever owning the present moment, and living that moment to the full, even if it might kill you, was inspirational.

I loved the book and the jacket too. Great job Gary Robinson!
I am glad to find someone who thinks the cover was fitting. I am of the opinion that it portrayed the character of Duke and the events described quite aptly. It certainly gives the readers some idea as to what they should expect.
Shrabastee Chakraborty

MsLisa wrote: 29 Jun 2018, 07:41 I like the cover because it catches my eye just it might catch a pedestrians eye if they saw a sword swallower in the middle of the street. I think it works well because it garners interest and I'm really not disturbed by the book cover.
Very true! The cover indeed catches the eye and fits the book perfectly. However, I am not sure whether I will be able to watch a real life feat of sword-swallowing without flinching. Thanks for your opinion.
angiejack456
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angiejack456.html
Latest Review: Arsenic and Old Men by Glenn Ickler

Post by angiejack456 »

JuliaKay wrote: 05 Jun 2018, 18:25 I did not like the title, nor did I like the cover page. My main problem with it was that it looked sloppy and unprofessional.
I agree. I am initially turned off, not because of the content, but because the look of the front cover leads me to question whether the book is well-written. I know they say you shouldn't judge a book by its cover, but we all do. The look of a book does play a huge role in choosing what we will spend our time reading. The first impression is paramount.
SpencerVo
Favorite Book: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spencervo.html
Latest Review: Lola the Buhund and the Father of Discord by Elbot Carman

Post by SpencerVo »

I completely agree that the cover doesn't "cover" the content of the book properly. The picture would be perfect for a light-hearted adventure or a traveling memoir, not a heartfelt novel like this.
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye.
Hiruni Bhagya 81
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hiruni-bhagya-81.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Hiruni Bhagya 81 »

I don't have an aversion to it or any extreme liking to it either. But it seems to be appropriate since it makes the readers aware of the contents even without reading a review on it.
Julie Petitbon
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)
Currently Reading: Becoming Michele Obama
Bookshelf Size: 699
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-petitbon.html
Latest Review: Sophia Violet and the Fiery Orb by Evangeline Greene
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Julie Petitbon »

I agree. I did not like the cover of this book. It was unappealing and did not draw me in at all.
SavannaEGoth
Favorite Book: Warriors
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-savannaegoth.html
Latest Review: Misreading Judas by Robert Wahler

Post by SavannaEGoth »

If anything, I think the cover is pretty attention-grabbing. Sword swallowing has long been a controversial and exciting performance art, so to put it on the cover of a book involving life in the circus I'd say it's pretty fitting.
"I'm going to die whatever you do, but I'm not afraid."
- Yellowfang Warriors: Rising Storm
Ghost11111
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ghost11111.html
Latest Review: Sundown by Carl H. Mitchell

Post by Ghost11111 »

I found the cover to be very enticing and it accompanied the title very well. The image is what first caught my attention due to the amazing act of sword swallowing which is a sight you don't see everyday, if ever! I have always been captivated by circus stories so I knew immediately I wanted to read this book and I was not disappointed. It was a great book from beginning to end.
Sheryce E
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sheryce-e.html
Latest Review: Life in a Box by JoDee Neathery

Post by Sheryce E »

At first, the cover was definitely a little weird to me too but after actually reading it fits perfectly. I had no doubt that the cover was relevant due to having a basic premise of the plot. I can't imagine another cover for it.
supernatural143
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-supernatural143.html
Latest Review: The Killers Ruse by Darrin Friedman

Post by supernatural143 »

I found the cover photo amazing! I love the circus. I didn't get scared of the man's colorful tattoos on the cover photo. The story is wonderful as well.
Yearly Joy Besoy
Favorite Book: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yearly-joy-besoy.html
Latest Review: Beating Death (resubmission) by Sean O’Banion

Post by Yearly Joy Besoy »

I don't have such issues wiyh the cover. It's the title and the summary that enticed me to read the book, also, looking at the cover, it is relatabel to the story.
Ohna Martin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ohna-martin.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Ohna Martin »

I put off reading the story a long time because of the cover page. I am glad I read it though. Then I remembered the saying, don't judge a book by its cover.

Return to “Discuss "The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid" by Gary Robinson”