"All you have is today."

Use this forum to discuss the May 2018 Book of the Month, "The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid" by Gary Robinson
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Re: "All you have is today."

Post by Cecilia_L »

I do my best to live in the moment, but I often struggle with trying to mentally plan ahead which hasn't always served me well.
Faithmwangi
Currently Reading: Empowered
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithmwangi.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Faithmwangi »

Sometimes I find myself worrying about the future and sometimes the past. Trying to control situations in my mind, trying to plan, when in actuality they may never really happen as planned. And when I think so much about it, that it seems to frustrate me I remember lyrics to a certain song
,"Que sera, sera,
Whatever will be, will be;
The future's not ours to see.
Que sera, sera,
What will be, will be."
"Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.” – Jim Rohn
FictionLover
Favorite Book: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fictionlover.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by FictionLover »

kfwilson6 wrote: 09 May 2018, 20:43 "Yesterday is just a memory and tomorrow is not guaranteed, " Duke told Gary.

Do you think Duke was true to living by this sentiment?
Do you live by this or are you too stuck in the past or too worried about the future?
I have a tendency to worry about the future, but I know many people who are stuck in the past. For me, this is a very valid philosophy to explore in the book.
"I love reading another reader’s list of favorites. Even when I find I do not share their tastes or predilections, I am provoked to compare, contrast, and contradict. It is a most healthy exercise, and one altogether fruitful." T.S. Eliot
Bookwormgirl1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookwormgirl1.html
Latest Review: Concealment by Rose Edmunds

Post by Bookwormgirl1 »

bwill93 wrote: 10 May 2018, 19:09 I have only read the review of this book, but it seems like an incredible story. In terms of living in the past or future, I think it's natural for people to flip back and forth from past nostalgia to future anxiety or excitement. What I try to do is just live in the present moment. The past is gone, it's never coming back. Learn from it and move on as best as you can. After all, what is life but just one continuous present moment? To me, it seems that if you're not living in the Now then you're not living.
I definitely agree!
LaurenHaupt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurenhaupt.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by LaurenHaupt »

i agree. Let go of the past. It's gone and over with. Live with your mistakes and concentrate on the future
:techie-studyingbrown:
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

From this statement, I think that Duke was reflecting on his life and advising Gary to tread carefully and make wise decisions. These words come from a place of love and are filled with good intentions
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
Fu Zaila
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1067
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fuzaila.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Fu Zaila »

bwill93 wrote: 10 May 2018, 19:09 I have only read the review of this book, but it seems like an incredible story. In terms of living in the past or future, I think it's natural for people to flip back and forth from past nostalgia to future anxiety or excitement. What I try to do is just live in the present moment. The past is gone, it's never coming back. Learn from it and move on as best as you can. After all, what is life but just one continuous present moment? To me, it seems that if you're not living in the Now then you're not living.
Same! I've only read the book. And as for living in the present, I think future and past does play a vast role on how we go about in life. Learning from past mistakes, experiences in our past, and hopes for a future is what influences the way we live our 'present' life. But rather than dwelling on the past or focusing too much on the future, it is important to give heed to what you do NOW. That's the way you live.
"Create your own identity. Let it be unique for yourself yet identifiable for others." :tiphat:
haleygerstenberg
Currently Reading: Amusing ourselves to death
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-haleygerstenberg.html
Latest Review: Superhighway 2 by Alex Fayman

Post by haleygerstenberg »

I agree with this... we don't have a lot of time, why waste it trying to relive things that are already gone?
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

Duke is trying his best to be optimistic and to live in the present in spite of all his challenges, he wants to see some positive changes immediately.
Anthony Martial Tata
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony-martial-tata.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Anthony Martial Tata »

Excellent review. I think the book is motivational.
Northernbird84
Currently Reading: The Crossing
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-northernbird84.html
Latest Review: Fulfillment by ICA

Post by Northernbird84 »

As part of my mental health treatment I am learning mindfulness which focusses around living in the moment. It makes such a positive difference to my life and my health. I love the concept, excited to read this book.
Latest Review: Fulfillment by ICA
Anthony Martial Tata
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony-martial-tata.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Anthony Martial Tata »

Yes, I think Duke tried her best to live upto the sentiments. The words are inspirational. It provokes the reader to live upto his full potential.
Izesicle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-izesicle.html
Latest Review: With Malice Aforethought by Thonie Hevron
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Izesicle »

I love this quote and it helps me put things into perspective. I am reminded to be less anxious and try to be less controlling.
Nelsy Mtsweni
Currently Reading: The Other Side of Him
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtsnel006.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Nelsy Mtsweni »

I think it only human to think of the future and to relive the past in our minds, all while trying to cope with the present. As for Duke, him being human too, I think this applied to him also.
A day is not measured by the harvest that you collect, but by the seeds that you plant.
joycechitwa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joycechitwa.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by joycechitwa »

In my view, Duke was trying to warn Gary not to waste his "present". Those words must have come from a point of reflection, or concealed regret, I dare say. He probably did not want Gary to end up as him, and in order to accomplish that, he needed to convince Gary not to waste the time he has now in activities like doing drugs.

In that case, I agree with the statement and try to live by it as much as possible - though I don't always succeed ! :lol: :lol:

It's a good mantra and reminder to make the most of whatever time you have now.

Return to “Discuss "The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid" by Gary Robinson”