"All you have is today."

Use this forum to discuss the May 2018 Book of the Month, "The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid" by Gary Robinson
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Re: "All you have is today."

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

kfwilson6 wrote: 09 May 2018, 20:43 "Yesterday is just a memory and tomorrow is not guaranteed, " Duke told Gary.

Do you think Duke was true to living by this sentiment?
Do you live by this or are you too stuck in the past or too worried about the future?
Duke's entire life is a demonstration of this sentence. In fact the feat of sword-swallowing is also just that, you know you did okay yesterday, you might or might not be there tomorrow to swallow the swords, it all depends on whether you can manage to do so today without damaging yourself.

As for myself, I guess I am too worried about the future. I reminisce of the past, but try not to dwell too much on that. However, the future has a way of scaring me! Guess I should really learn from Duke, but then again, not at all bothering about the future does not seem like a wise choice, either.
DakotaA
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dakotaa.html
Latest Review: Purgatory's Angel by B Hughes-Millman

Post by DakotaA »

I definitely think about the future more than anything else! I find myself ten steps ahead before I've even taken one and it can be hard to be in the moment. For anyone who is like this as well- I've started yoga and it helps.
Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus
Hiruni Bhagya 81
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hiruni-bhagya-81.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Hiruni Bhagya 81 »

From what we read in the book, it's true that Duke believed it as well as lived it. But, I don't think we can forget the past and not think about the future living only in the present. By that, I'm not saying we have to always worry about everything constantly. We should learn from our past mistakes and live simply enjoying the present while at the same time being aware of the future.
Jasy95
Favorite Book: To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
Currently Reading: Circe
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jasy95.html
Latest Review: The Data Collectors by Danielle Palli

Post by Jasy95 »

I think it's incredibly hard to live like this! I personally am too focused on the future. I am always trying to make long term plans and figure out my next steps. This pandemic has really helped me reevaluate that and realize that I need to focus on the present more, especially since the future is so unpredictable.
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

I must admit that I am often focused on the past and the future, ignoring the present.
kensgarment odogwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kensgarment-odogwu.html
Latest Review: Commercial Property Made Easy by Chris Lang

Post by kensgarment odogwu »

K Geisinger wrote: 10 May 2018, 12:38
kfwilson6 wrote: 09 May 2018, 20:43 "Yesterday is just a memory and tomorrow is not guaranteed, " Duke told Gary.

Do you think Duke was true to living by this sentiment?
Do you live by this or are you too stuck in the past or too worried about the future?
I think Duke wanted to believe he lived in the present, but everything about him still screamed of his past. The man was dying of cancer, but he still performed because he once was part of a circus. He did meth because he needed it to keep up with the life style decades ago. He built his entire world around once being part of something, even once injury stopped him from swallowing swords. He gained followers and started showing them how to perform routines.

To your question about me, I think everyone is affected by the past, it's whether you dwell excessively. I wish I had made different choices, but sometimes that is honest self reflection rather than obsessiveness.
Good comment. i could not have agreed less to this.
That why everyone has to be careful of the choices they make now because in the future no matter how we try it you keep getting flashbacks of your past.
Agbata Charles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charles-agbata-1.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Agbata Charles »

I am really enjoying this comment section. You guys are amazing
Maria Ferreira Silva
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maria-ferreira-silva.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Maria Ferreira Silva »

That saying is true. Sometimes I get very upset or worried about things from the past and I tend to dwell on it. But the past is the past and I can't be living in it.
Not available anymore
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-covenant-morolayo-olusegun.html
Latest Review: Stones by James C. Hendee

Post by Not available anymore »

If Duke actually lived by this, still this is not enough reason for him to engage in drugs and squander his money
Mellino Itz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mellino-itz.html
Latest Review: Good Sexual Hygiene & Spiritual Attitude by Anthony A. Morris

Post by Mellino Itz »

I worry a lot about he future most time I even get scared of the future. And what ever I do now I consider the consequences or impact it would have in the future. I think Dukes mistake was due to these philosophy he held on to. Why would one live in the moment regardless of what a careless living at the moment would cause him later. That statement is common with those who live without hope and Duke was one of them.
Odindi Omo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-odindi-omo.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Odindi Omo »

I agree with him. One cannot change the past. Neither do we know tomorrow. Today is truly all we have.
Roderick Voss
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roderick-voss.html

Post by Roderick Voss »

Yesterday is only a memory, but memories can be very powerful! I try to let go of negative experiences while learning from my mistakes.
koffi Malay
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-koffi-malay.html
Latest Review: Mryyh for Mafia Men by C.R. Fulton

Post by koffi Malay »

I try my best to be present in the moment. It can be challenging at times, and I am aware that I am prone to obsessing about the past or the future.
Monica Omonigho Bennymoore
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-monica-omonigho-bennymoore.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Monica Omonigho Bennymoore »

I will not lie because I am mostly stuck in the past and worried about the future and this has been the bane of my existence. I have tried and am still trying to make the best of my today as tomorrow is not guaranteed. Duke was very true to living by this sentiment and i learned a lot from his philosophy on this regards.
Mellino Itz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mellino-itz.html

Post by Mellino Itz »

I think the balance between the past and future is important. Holding so much to the past would create so much difficulty living in the present. Having so much anxiety for the future too will bring difficulty living in the present. However it is important you look at the past so as to avoid repeating some mistakes in your present and sometimes the fears and anxiety for the future propels us to make the right choices and decisions in the present. The balance is most important.

Return to “Discuss "The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid" by Gary Robinson”