IS THE PARADOX OF HEDONISM THE CENTRAL THEME OF THE NOVEL?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2018 Book of the Month, "The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid" by Gary Robinson
Zain A Blade
Favorite Book: Find You and Find Everything
Currently Reading: The End of the Beginning
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zain-a-blade.html
Latest Review: Swordpoint by David Crane

Re: IS THE PARADOX OF HEDONISM THE CENTRAL THEME OF THE NOVEL?

Post by Zain A Blade »

I think the theme is about lost souls searching for a meaning to life. Indulging in pleasure is just a way to escape their miserable reality.
10mile72
Favorite Book: My Trip To Adele
Currently Reading: The Message?
Bookshelf Size: 309
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-10mile72.html
Latest Review: Marriage 101 by Rodney D Sewell

Post by 10mile72 »

I think so. I think this message is even stronger in the case of the Chico kid, who seems to finally gain some measure of happiness when he starts working with sick people.
SereneCharles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-serenecharles.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by SereneCharles »

I dont know what the author's message is, but I do know seeking just one's happiness doesn't give lasting happiness. You give others something to be happy and you'll always remain happy.
Writing is so much fun. So is reading. :techie-studyingbrown:
Zain A Blade
Favorite Book: Find You and Find Everything
Currently Reading: The End of the Beginning
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zain-a-blade.html
Latest Review: Swordpoint by David Crane

Post by Zain A Blade »

desantismt_17 wrote: 12 May 2018, 12:33 I think hedonism is a theme in the book, but I wouldn't call it the central theme. At its core, this book is about figuring out who you are and learning to like that person, whether that requires admiting truths you dislike or battering away the layers of drugs and alcohol to get to the broken shell beneath. That said, I do agree that too much pleasure begets sorrow. If you force yourself into pleasure, anything else will seem like misery.
Nicely put.
Roggyrus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roggyrus.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by Roggyrus »

Hedonism, as a goal to pursue pleasure and happiness, seems the theme, where people become addicts of drugs or alcohol, as in the story. I do not mean to be so philosophical about this, but the crux of the matter is in the method of pursuing happiness. Hedonistic behaviour seems to be what people do when leaving mainstream society, out of jobs and responsibilities, doing only what they wanted to do. Then there is Epicureanism. Look at what these Greeks have all come up with. Leave those to them. I will just focus on happiness, from a layman's point of view. As loneliness, the lack of happiness seems to be the cause of the characters' troubles, it is in order to examine what could cause happiness. There are so many kinds of happiness, intrinsic, material, or spiritual. Wow. Such a tall order to consider. But let us just focus on the happiness of ordinary people like us. For instance, the working class, some people treasure their rest days as one that could make them happy because they do not have to work. And then, they confuse not having to work as happiness. But look at people who are jobless, are they with any simulacrum of happiness? Then maybe, we try freedom. We were happy to be away from the office or work because we are free. We are free to do as we wish, hence freedom. If this happens for only a day, then idleness in a rocking chair or napping in the corner will be heavenly. But extend this for a month, a year, and times would become so boring. So, enter drugs, alcohol, and thrill-seeking. And maybe, join the circus just to do weird things like sword swallowing, or fire eating, etc. Forgive me, I am also confused now. lol
MollyEnter
Currently Reading: The Altitude Journals
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mollyenter.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by MollyEnter »

lesler wrote: 31 May 2018, 18:44 No, I think the book glorified this type of living, and gave the average reader some unrealistic entertainment. Lots of people use books to escape, myself included. This book was almost a fantasy to me.
I wholeheartedly agree. Duke's time in the circus definitely glorified drug and alcohol use. And I agree with others that the drugs and alcohol helped to paint the picture of self discovery and redemption.
"There is something about words. In expert hands, manipulated deftly, they take you prisoner.”
– Diane Setterfield, The Thirteenth Tale
Richard Whitehead
Currently Reading: First Family
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-richard-whitehead.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Richard Whitehead »

lavellan wrote: 26 May 2018, 23:33 I would definitely agree with your point. Often, people seek out hedonistic lifestyles to fill a void. However, material pleasures usually can't fix emotional trauma or a desire for affection.
This is true indeed.
Richard Whitehead

ValBookReviews wrote: 25 May 2018, 13:57 Huh? I can't even grasp the question, let alone answer it. But, if I must, I do not think this is the message of the author to the readers, which has anything to with the "paradox of hedonism" being the premise of the story.
:D :D
Richard Whitehead

lavellan wrote: 26 May 2018, 23:33 I would definitely agree with your point. Often, people seek out hedonistic lifestyles to fill a void. However, material pleasures usually can't fix emotional trauma or a desire for affection.
I equally agree with this
Richard Whitehead

lesler wrote: 31 May 2018, 18:44 No, I think the book glorified this type of living, and gave the average reader some unrealistic entertainment. Lots of people use books to escape, myself included. This book was almost a fantasy to me.
This book is indeed a semblance of fantasy
Faithmwangi
Currently Reading: Empowered
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithmwangi.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Faithmwangi »

I think it's more about finding out who you are, and your place in society.
"Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.” – Jim Rohn
[Valerie Allen]
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 773
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-allen.html
Latest Review: Utopia Project by Billy Dering

Post by [Valerie Allen] »

Richard Whitehead wrote: 08 Jul 2018, 01:57
ValBookReviews wrote: 25 May 2018, 13:57 Huh? I can't even grasp the question, let alone answer it. But, if I must, I do not think this is the message of the author to the readers, which has anything to with the "paradox of hedonism" being the premise of the story.
:D :D
:tiphat:
And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. (Revelation 20:12 (NKJV) :reading-7:
Anthony Martial Tata
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony-martial-tata.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Anthony Martial Tata »

I agree, happiness can be found by reaching out for plaseure but satisfaction can only be found by reaching out to others.
Hiruni Bhagya 81
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hiruni-bhagya-81.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Hiruni Bhagya 81 »

Yeah, I think this is one of the messages the author was trying to give to the readers. Hedonistic live style followed by Gary only succeeded in bringing him misery. So, even if he was trying to get happiness, finally all he got was misery. We are shown that, by helping others, a person can achieve lasting happiness.
supernatural143
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-supernatural143.html
Latest Review: The Killers Ruse by Darrin Friedman

Post by supernatural143 »

As the author said, this book is centered on redemption and the inspiration he gets from his peculiar friends. I don't think "paradox of Hedonism" is the main focus in the story. The effect of their addiction is the result of their choices.

Return to “Discuss "The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid" by Gary Robinson”