Which Character Do You Prefer?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2018 Book of the Month, "The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid" by Gary Robinson
Shrabastee
2019 Reading Goal: 30
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 143
2018 Reading Goal: 20
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 185
2017 Reading Goal: 0
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 648
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee.html
Latest Review: The Redesigned Earth by John T. Tanacredi, PhD.

Re: Which Character Do You Prefer?

Post by Shrabastee »

I do not like the choices either of them made. However, Duke's character was more colorful, more eventful and he was in control of his own life. I admire how even Gary describes him as the epitome of self-reliance. On the other hand, Gary keeps stumbling in his life. His situation is pitiful, but somehow it feels to me that it was his own doing. He could have chosen a better path in life. So my answer to this question is Duke!

Shrabastee
Currently Reading:

Post by Shrabastee »

P0tt3ry wrote:
03 May 2018, 17:35
Duke was always in touch with his demons. He understood the risks and consequences of his actions, but still made the choices he did. I liked this flawed character because he took ownership of his choices.

Gary, well, Gary didn't make choices. Gary just hedonistically drifts from one bad decision to another. He turns his life around but we aren't witnesses to that transformative stage of his life--just to the wild years and the events that occur decades later.
Precisely my thoughts. Duke chose his path and was in control of his life. Gary sort of stumbles through life. The pitiful situation he was in seems to be his own doing.

Shrabastee
Currently Reading:

Post by Shrabastee »

lavellan wrote:
26 May 2018, 23:18
I preferred Duke over Gary. Duke had greater caring for other people and most of his actions were self-destructive rather than hurtful to others. Gary didn't seem to care much other people's feelings and didn't try to improve himself until he met Duke.
I agree with you. Duke was what he chose to be. Gary was more of a lost soul. I believe he could have chosen a better path for himself. I am glad that he found Duke, but that did not necessarily have to be the case if he just took more responsibility for his actions.

R Lawrence
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 27
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-r-lawrence.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by R Lawrence »

I found Duke’s story much more interesting than Gary’s. Duke had a story to tell but Gary was just passing through life and his misbehaving got old quickly.

Hiruni Bhagya 81
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hiruni-bhagya-81.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Hiruni Bhagya 81 »

I didn't like the immature hedonistic ways of Gary and how Duke was addicted to drugs and alcohol even in the latter part of his life. But, I respect both of them. Because, Duke knew his faults and showed others the correct path while Gary was able to achieve a stable life and write books in order to lead the modern day teens in the correct path.

supernatural143
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-supernatural143.html
Latest Review: The Killers Ruse by Darrin Friedman

Post by supernatural143 »

Both Duke and Gary's characters are interesting. I find Duke's life more compelling simply because he had the opportunity to redeem himself and have his own family.

Scrawling Pen
Currently Reading: Snape
Bookshelf Size: 138
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scrawling-pen.html
Latest Review: The Queen of Xana by Fred Pilcher

Post by Scrawling Pen »

I liked Duke's character better. I think to an extent, the two are similar, but Duke is much more introspective and able to see his life from a different perspective. His life experience has made him wise.

10mile72
Currently Reading: Ten Tough Problems in Christian Thought and Belief
Bookshelf Size: 307
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-10mile72.html
Latest Review: Marriage 101 by Rodney D Sewell

Post by 10mile72 »

I agree with most of the comments -- Duke was a better character; he knew what he was about, accepted the tradeoffs he had made, and was steering his own ship. He also had a good heart and cared about his circus family. :?

Mounce574
2019 Reading Goal: 10
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 90
Favorite Book: Claimed by Nicolai
Currently Reading: Jurisdiction Denied
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mounce574.html
Latest Review: Little White Lies by JC Anderson
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Mounce574 »

I preferred Duke because he had a better grasp of reality and that his choices in life led him to where he was. Gary seemed only out for his next fix and it took nearly dying to make him face his problems. He also seemed to be hypocritical towards his mother as he took her path and vaulted into a full on life of destruction doing the same thing she did.
I cannot change the past because it is gone and I cannot tell what tomorrow will be like as it has not happened. What I can do is live today as life is happening now.

Return to “Discuss "The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid" by Gary Robinson”