What is so fascinating about circus life?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2018 Book of the Month, "The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid" by Gary Robinson
Richard Whitehead
Currently Reading: First Family
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-richard-whitehead.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew da Vinci by Belle Ami

Re: What is so fascinating about circus life?

Post by Richard Whitehead »

The most fascinating thing that I noticed about Circus is the risk they undergo in an attempt to make money.
FictionLover
Favorite Book: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fictionlover.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by FictionLover »

I think the circus will always have the allure of being exotic and outside the normal everyday experience of most people. I think, in years past this was where people went when they were on the outskirts of society. Either because they desired extraordinary experiences, or they had defects or disabilities which caused them to be viewed as "freaks".
"I love reading another reader’s list of favorites. Even when I find I do not share their tastes or predilections, I am provoked to compare, contrast, and contradict. It is a most healthy exercise, and one altogether fruitful." T.S. Eliot
FictionLover
Favorite Book: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fictionlover.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by FictionLover »

I think the circus will always have the allure of being exotic and outside the normal everyday experience of most people. I think, in years past this was where people went when they were on the outskirts of society. Either because they desired extraordinary experiences, or they had defects or disabilities which caused them to be viewed by society as "freaks". It was a place to be with those who also felt marginalized.
"I love reading another reader’s list of favorites. Even when I find I do not share their tastes or predilections, I am provoked to compare, contrast, and contradict. It is a most healthy exercise, and one altogether fruitful." T.S. Eliot
Eryn Bradshaw
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eryn-bradshaw.html
Latest Review: The Witchstone by Victoria Randall

Post by Eryn Bradshaw »

I think circus life is interesting to the outside observer. I know P. T. Barnum didn't start the idea of a circus, but it's the most recent piece of media that's kind of about circus life. The fact that some circuses, like Barnum's, capitalized on "freaks" give intrigue to someone who might consider themselves as normal. And even circuses that focus more on the talent of individuals, it's got to be something that's extremely hard to keep up with. The talents of some circus people are absolutely incredible, they must have a lot of passion and dedication to that specific talent.

Personally, I haven't been to circus ever. I've seen them on TV and in media. I've seen acts that could've been in a circus at theme parks. I'd be interested to go to a circus once to experience what it's like to take in a show in person though.
“Live, and be happy, and make others so.”
― Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley
LaurenHaupt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurenhaupt.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by LaurenHaupt »

It's like Halloween. Gives you a chance to feel like a kid again.
:techie-studyingbrown:
juliamenez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliamenez.html
Latest Review: Mistress Suffragette by Diana Forbes

Post by juliamenez »

I think the fascination of circus life is much like the fascination with feats of intense athleticism. I am impressed by gymnastics, and my favorite part of watching the circus (though it has been a while) is always the acrobats.

In a bad sense of the word "fascinating", I am fascinated that circuses still make money off of mistreating animals. I really just like circuses like "Cirque du Soleil" that avoid harm to animals.
pagesonfire
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pagesonfire.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by pagesonfire »

I think it's voyeurism and sensationalism to some degree. We're excited about the unusual and strange in any other part of life as well and I guess circus life is just seen as ~exotic~, which is a huge appeal to some people.
Anthony Martial Tata
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony-martial-tata.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Anthony Martial Tata »

I think Gary is a talented persona. He entertains people in various towns with his sword swallowing skills.
Izesicle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-izesicle.html
Latest Review: With Malice Aforethought by Thonie Hevron
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Izesicle »

These are very good discussion questions that encourage dialogue and thought.
The appeal of circus life to me is the apparent freedom of being rootless and admired for being yourself.
Nelsy Mtsweni
Currently Reading: The Other Side of Him
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtsnel006.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Nelsy Mtsweni »

Circus is way out of this world, how much more its life? A lot of things we consider unreal or impossible actually happen at the circus. Duke being featured in the circus made the circus life interesting, and then no so much.
A day is not measured by the harvest that you collect, but by the seeds that you plant.
joycechitwa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joycechitwa.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by joycechitwa »

I think circus life is fascinating and a wonderful complement to the regular nine-to-five sort of lifestyle that is considered normal. I love its's appreciation of the arts side of life. The performers do need to have their own disciplines and routines to perfect their shows, but besides that, its pretty much free flow. I have never attended a circus in person, but I wouldn't mind attending one. I have watched them on TV, though, and always came away refreshed.
Kalin Adi
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalin-adi.html
Latest Review: French for Girls by JP Wright

Post by Kalin Adi »

I still go to the circus form time to time. I enjoy seeing the tricks and the atmosphere that seems magical. However, I think being part of a circus is not for everybody. They have to travel from one place to another and keep a happy face even if they don't feel like that. In a way, all is a big illusion.
Sharill Rasowo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharill-rasowo.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Sharill Rasowo »

I think because of movies we have a romantic idea of the circus but the reality is certainly different and much more bleak.
Surabhi Rani
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Demonslayer
Bookshelf Size: 1886
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-surabhi-rani.html
Latest Review: How To Decorate Cookies With Your Kids in an Afternoon by Micah Rhodes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Surabhi Rani »

Circus life is chosen on account of free will and hobby, by Duke Reynolds. This speaks volumes about it. This is sheer genius! Such a life is insecure and vulnerable to dangers.The various members of circus described in the story add fuel to the fire of our quest against all imperfections and limitations. Also the issue of an ideal society that can lead to more recognition and acceptance of the members comes into picture!
SpencerVo
Favorite Book: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spencervo.html
Latest Review: Lola the Buhund and the Father of Discord by Elbot Carman

Post by SpencerVo »

The novel presented the circus crowd in such a refreshing way. They are often regarded either as weirdos or as the misunderstood. Here, they were not framed as victims of exploitative practices. The circus was not their destitute prison but their destined stage.

I personally found their characters so funny and endearing. Some may find these depictions a bit insensitive or even insulting, but the author didn't want us to see them as pitiable. They wanted to be seen as passionate artists and the masters of their own narratives.
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye.

Return to “Discuss "The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid" by Gary Robinson”