What is so fascinating about circus life?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2018 Book of the Month, "The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid" by Gary Robinson
maggiechap
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggiechap.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Re: What is so fascinating about circus life?

Post by maggiechap »

While i haven't yet read the book, I think part of the mystery of the circus is just that -it's mystery. It's a place of open acceptance where you don't have to pretend to be something your not, but is in fact built upon the idea of showing off your true colors and enjoying just being you. How many of us hide behind work-selves and social-selves and when do we get to be our true-selves other than in our homes, by ourselves? The ideals of the circus deviate from all of that and offer a reality where we are free to be who we are and not have to live by typical social norms.
AnnaKathleen
Currently Reading: Kill Them All
Bookshelf Size: 1085
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annakathleen.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose

Post by AnnaKathleen »

I have never been to an actual circus, but I always wanted to go. I have always been intrigued and drawn in by so many aspects of it. The counterculture aspect that is so different from my everyday life, and it is hard not to (especially when you are a kid) glamorize it. The undeniable talent, abilities and discipline members have to train and put on performances is outstanding in my opinion. However, as I have grown older I realize it is probably not nearly as amazing as I thought when I was younger. There is the glitz, humor, and awe but there must be grittiness, competition, and an unseen level of reality behind the scenes as well. That contrast, however, is still somewhat fascinating for me.
"I became darkness, shadow and wind." - Sarah J. Maas A Court of Mist and Fury
Kendra M Parker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kendra-m-parker.html
Latest Review: Requiem, Changing Times by RJ Parker
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Kendra M Parker »

kfwilson6 wrote: 18 May 2018, 11:11 The circus people were happy to be at work and they didn't have to pretend to be anyone they aren't. I'm sure it's refreshing to spend all day every day being just who you are.
Still, the performance side of their job still required a certain amount of “show,” though. They got to be who they were, sort of. The tattooed woman is an example. She made up stories about all of her tattoos, and the whole reasoning behind them that was shared with the public was a lie. They didn’t have to hide the part of themselves that made them “freaks,” but they didn’t get to share the honest truth with other people, either.
Kendra M Parker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kendra-m-parker.html
Latest Review: Requiem, Changing Times by RJ Parker
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Kendra M Parker »

cristinaro wrote: 18 May 2018, 03:07 I didn't consider the book exactly my kind of book. I still planned to read it because I promised myself I would read alll books of the month as I think they must have something special to be chosen as such. I've read the first part of the book so far and I can tell you I didn't regret it. On the contrary, I was pleasantly surprised to discover an author who promises a lot. He really does a good job in describing Duke and his journey through life.
I found myself really appreciating this one for many of the same reasons. At first, I wasn’t terribly excited about the book, but the more I read about Duke, the more I appreciated his character. Gary was harder for me to like, but even he had his moments. In the end, I’m glad I read the book. It gave me a lot to think about.
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

cristinaro wrote: 18 May 2018, 03:07

You know, at first I thought the same as you did. I mean, I didn't consider the book exactly my kind of book. I still planned to read it because I promised myself I would read alll books of the month as I think they must have something special to be chosen as such. I've read the first part of the book so far and I can tell you I didn't regret it. On the contrary, I was pleasantly surprised to discover an author who promises a lot. He really does a good job in describing Duke and his journey through life.
I wasn't really that interested in this book either but missed last month's book and wanted to stay active in that portion of the site. I could have done without reading this book and don't feel like I would have missed out on too much. It was still enjoyable and I liked Duke's portion of the story much more. I think a large part of that was because his time in the circus and his sword-swallowing ability are so fascinating. There was nothing fascinating about Gary's life and got bored with the second portion of the book where Duke was not included. I would say it is a good read but nothing earth shattering.
holsam_87
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 1691
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by holsam_87 »

cristinaro wrote: 18 May 2018, 03:37
holsam_87 wrote: 01 May 2018, 20:51
cristinaro wrote: 01 May 2018, 03:04 One of the protagonists in Gary Robison's book is Duke Reynolds, a man who runs away from a dysfunctional family environment to join the traveling circus. He soon becomes the Sword Swallower and entertains people not only inside the circus tent, but also on every city street corner.

Duke's plunge into circus life reminded me of the Russian literary critic Mikhail Bakhtin who saw the carnival and carnivalesque as a celebration of freedom, a means of escaping social norms and conventions. At the circus, we are all ready to embrace the carnival atmosphere and forget restrictions.

1. What do you think of the mirage of circus life in general?
2. Are you still going to the circus? What do you love/hate most about the circus?
3. How is circus life described in the book?
4. Is Duke satisfied with his new life as a sword swallower?
1. The mirage of circus life makes it seem far beyond what I could ever do and it sounds like a lot of hard work.

2. I have never been to a circus. What I love most is the comradery and trust, but I hate the implications that people would abuse the animals that they work with

3. Circus life is described as a big family that works hard and does a lot of travel.

4. It appears that Duke is satisfied with being a sword swallower, especially since he's a big adrenaline junkie that was always finding ways to entice his audience.
Try going to the circus once! :) It's one thing reading about it and quite another experiencing it. I agree with you about the animal abuse, but the circus world is much more than that.
Unfortunately, I live in a fairly small town. We don't have circuses come through here. The closest thing is our county fair and the Chinese acrobats that come sometimes to perform at the local school.
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Van112
Currently Reading: How To Fall In Love
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivianne-nat.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Van112 »

Whenever i think of circus i remember the Greatest showman. I have always been fond of circus and the acts. I wanted to check one eversince i was young but we don't really have such events here in our place. But everything about is fascinating to me. All acts are heartstopping ones.
:techie-studyingbrown:

“I don't think all writers are sad, she said. I think it's the other way around- all sad people write.” - Langleav
bootsie0126+
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bootsie0126.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B01GEW27DA

Post by bootsie0126+ »

maggiechap wrote: 18 May 2018, 11:20 While i haven't yet read the book, I think part of the mystery of the circus is just that -it's mystery. It's a place of open acceptance where you don't have to pretend to be something your not, but is in fact built upon the idea of showing off your true colors and enjoying just being you. How many of us hide behind work-selves and social-selves and when do we get to be our true-selves other than in our homes, by ourselves? The ideals of the circus deviate from all of that and offer a reality where we are free to be who we are and not have to live by typical social norms.
Great post. I agreed, it is easy to be free in the circus life. Performers are accepted because of the charade and character that is presented. Being different is what allows a performer to be themselves. You are right, this is different than social media sites. It is so easy for people to assume different roles and personalities when on social medial sites. They are free to hide the real person and become a different person based on the relationship. The world is so judgmental, society dictates the social norm and if you don't fit into that category, people often take on a different role just to fit. The negative side to this is when people mislead others into believing that they are one way and in reality are something completely different (Catfish).
bootsie0126+
Currently Reading:

Post by bootsie0126+ »

holsam_87 wrote: 19 May 2018, 17:00
cristinaro wrote: 18 May 2018, 03:37
holsam_87 wrote: 01 May 2018, 20:51

1. The mirage of circus life makes it seem far beyond what I could ever do and it sounds like a lot of hard work.

2. I have never been to a circus. What I love most is the comradery and trust, but I hate the implications that people would abuse the animals that they work with

3. Circus life is described as a big family that works hard and does a lot of travel.

4. It appears that Duke is satisfied with being a sword swallower, especially since he's a big adrenaline junkie that was always finding ways to entice his audience.
Try going to the circus once! :) It's one thing reading about it and quite another experiencing it. I agree with you about the animal abuse, but the circus world is much more than that.
Unfortunately, I live in a fairly small town. We don't have circuses come through here. The closest thing is our county fair and the Chinese acrobats that come sometimes to perform at the local school.
If you ever get the pleasure of going to a circus, make sure it is a true circus and not simply a carnival where the main attraction is "freak" shows. I could have recommended The Ringling Bros and Barnum & Bailey Circus, but after 148 years of performing, closed down this past fall in 2017.
bootsie0126+
Currently Reading:

Post by bootsie0126+ »

Kendra M Parker wrote: 18 May 2018, 12:21
kfwilson6 wrote: 18 May 2018, 11:11 The circus people were happy to be at work and they didn't have to pretend to be anyone they aren't. I'm sure it's refreshing to spend all day every day being just who you are.
Still, the performance side of their job still required a certain amount of “show,” though. They got to be who they were, sort of. The tattooed woman is an example. She made up stories about all of her tattoos, and the whole reasoning behind them that was shared with the public was a lie. They didn’t have to hide the part of themselves that made them “freaks,” but they didn’t get to share the honest truth with other people, either.
It is sad when we are easily entertained by the bizarre and outrageous things that are often based on untruth. People would rather laugh at what they consider weird instead of embracing what is unique. People will either accept you for who you are or they won't. It is not up to you or me to change because others can't relate or see the real person that you are. It is sad that we have to pretend in order to fit in. :(
bootsie0126+
Currently Reading:

Post by bootsie0126+ »

AnnaKathleen wrote: 18 May 2018, 11:27 I have never been to an actual circus, but I always wanted to go. I have always been intrigued and drawn in by so many aspects of it. The counterculture aspect that is so different from my everyday life, and it is hard not to (especially when you are a kid) glamorize it. The undeniable talent, abilities and discipline members have to train and put on performances is outstanding in my opinion. However, as I have grown older I realize it is probably not nearly as amazing as I thought when I was younger. There is the glitz, humor, and awe but there must be grittiness, competition, and an unseen level of reality behind the scenes as well. That contrast, however, is still somewhat fascinating for me.
It is true, as children we see things totally different. The concept of what a person has to go through each day to entertain people does not enter a child mind when they attend a circus or any other event. They only see the simple thing of glamor. However, as adults you would think that a better appreciation of the life an entertainer has to endure, day-after-day, is considered when they see a show, but most of the time it is not. People take for granted that showbiz world is all glitz and glory. In the circus world the performers go through the same ups and downs as anyone else. Competition is stiff, relationships are hard and living in close quarters with many different people, all with different personalities must be nerve-racking. I applaud individuals that are able to do this. Growing up with six sisters and one brother was hard enough to deal with each day. :angry-screaming:
AnnaKathleen

Post by AnnaKathleen »

bootsie0126+ wrote: 20 May 2018, 13:27
AnnaKathleen wrote: 18 May 2018, 11:27 I have never been to an actual circus, but I always wanted to go. I have always been intrigued and drawn in by so many aspects of it. The counterculture aspect that is so different from my everyday life, and it is hard not to (especially when you are a kid) glamorize it. The undeniable talent, abilities and discipline members have to train and put on performances is outstanding in my opinion. However, as I have grown older I realize it is probably not nearly as amazing as I thought when I was younger. There is the glitz, humor, and awe but there must be grittiness, competition, and an unseen level of reality behind the scenes as well. That contrast, however, is still somewhat fascinating for me.
It is true, as children we see things totally different. The concept of what a person has to go through each day to entertain people does not enter a child mind when they attend a circus or any other event. They only see the simple thing of glamor. However, as adults you would think that a better appreciation of the life an entertainer has to endure, day-after-day, is considered when they see a show, but most of the time it is not. People take for granted that showbiz world is all glitz and glory. In the circus world the performers go through the same ups and downs as anyone else. Competition is stiff, relationships are hard and living in close quarters with many different people, all with different personalities must be nerve-racking. I applaud individuals that are able to do this. Growing up with six sisters and one brother was hard enough to deal with each day. :angry-screaming:
I absolutely agree, I didn't have siblings, but a lot of cousins. Performance related businesses can be incredibly cut-throat, I don't even want to imagine how tough the competition is! Not to mention, in some areas, circus shows are not as common as they once were. The opportunity to earn a living is hard enough without the added burden of performance locations dying out.
AnnaKathleen

Post by AnnaKathleen »

Vivianne Nat wrote: 20 May 2018, 10:04 Whenever i think of circus i remember the Greatest showman. I have always been fond of circus and the acts. I wanted to check one eversince i was young but we don't really have such events here in our place. But everything about is fascinating to me. All acts are heartstopping ones.
Yes! I always think of The Greatest Showman or Moulin Rogue! Many circus acts have had to shut down over the years, so we don't have them where I live either. The closest thing I would be able to find is maybe an acrobat show if I drive to a bigger city.
Mercy U
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Mercy U »

I for one, have never been to a circus show before, neither have I seen a circus performer except in movies. Your post and the various replies have triggered my interest in this topic and I am Sure Gary Robinson's book will do more. Nice post
P Reefer
Favorite Book: The Lost Identity Casualties
Currently Reading: De Facto Feminisn
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-p-reefer.html
Latest Review: The McCoys Before The Feud by Thomas McCoy

Post by P Reefer »

One of the most fascinating feats in the circus are the acrobats on the trapeze who daring swing and jump at a roof level height. Interestingly, in our district, there is currently a Mexican Circus performing this month. Circus is described in a fascinating light in this text. The dim aspect is also feature, it proves a means of escape from difficult realities.

Return to “Discuss "The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid" by Gary Robinson”