What is so fascinating about circus life?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2018 Book of the Month, "The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid" by Gary Robinson
Vlinstry
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vlinstry.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Re: What is so fascinating about circus life?

Post by Vlinstry »

cristinaro wrote: 13 May 2018, 10:02
Vlinstry wrote: 01 May 2018, 11:32 Still reading the book but I can say that I have always found the circus life so alluring. I am a weird one because I don't actually like going to what most people think of as the circus as I am terrified of clowns, but I do love the more traditional cirucus' with the ideas being centred around misfits and the strange, yet wonderful. I love the pull of the circus. I love that it seems like a way of escaping the every day. It looks like it is a way to be part of a faimily and to bring joy to lots of other people at the same time.

Once I have finished the book I will be able to answer your other questions.
I don't find clowns so amusing either, yet I used to go to the circus and I am still going sometimes. It's interesting you mentioned misfits and the strange in connection with the circus. There is this novel I have read - The Gaze by Elif Shafak. It's about the weird love affair between an obese woman and a dwarf. In a magical realist sort of way, all kinds of other characters emerge. In the past, one of these characters has the idea of building up a cherry-colored tent where women come to see the ugliest creature and men come to see the most beautiful girl in the world. It's all connected to people's "gaze", voyeurism, prejudice, self-sufficiency, the readiness to judge, etc.

The book you mentioned sounds really interesting and I will definitely be giving it a look. Thanks! :)
10mile72
Favorite Book: My Trip To Adele
Currently Reading: The Message?
Bookshelf Size: 309
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-10mile72.html
Latest Review: Marriage 101 by Rodney D Sewell

Post by 10mile72 »

The book is not exactly an advertisement for circus like. 22 hour workdays? No wonder Gary had to take drugs.
SereneCharles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-serenecharles.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by SereneCharles »

I've never been to a circus before, but I'm fascinated by their shows on tv's. I really don't like that a circus performer usually has no other life than the circus. The circus becomes their family. I especially don't like the travelling circus, not like I know much about it. But I won't like the idea I have of it.
Writing is so much fun. So is reading. :techie-studyingbrown:
Azeline Arcenal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zenalei7.html
Latest Review: Christmas in the Kingdom of Kool by Joan J. Harris

Post by Azeline Arcenal »

I don't think the circus life is for me, but it is definitely fascinating. I feel like all the people who are part of a circus are like a tight-knit family. I have and would definitely go to a circus again. I love seeing the acrobats and the tightrope walker, but I hate seeing animals since I've read stories about how they are mistreated. I think Duke is satisfied with his new life as a sword swallower.
“The only important thing in a book is the meaning that it has for you.” - W. Somerset Maugham
Morgan Jones
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 138
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-morgan-jones.html
Latest Review: Fate Won't Compromise by Catherine Blakely

Post by Morgan Jones »

It's strange. It's entrancing. It's pure raw talent and revealing who you really are without the fear of society judging you. Also, the tricks that you though could never be possible yet, there are performers who do it so easily and effortlessly. Like they're being set free and this feeling of freedom is automatically transfered to you too (at least until the performance ends.)
"Reading is a conversation. All books talk. But a good book listens as well." - Mark Haddon
Londera
Favorite Author: Lauren Oliver
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... elirium</a>
Currently Reading: World, Incorporated
Bookshelf Size: 391
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-londera.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2442

Post by Londera »

I think its the idea of everything not being what it seems and the atmosphere of magic and fun.
chelhack
Favorite Book: My Trip To Adele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 381
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelhack.html
Latest Review: E-M-P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by chelhack »

You have some very good questions...

I believe that the image of circus life is underrated or not really seen nor thought of as more than what meets the eye. Which to me actually before reading this book was merely entertainment purpose and or value. Most of the time in my own perspective when seeing a circus worker/performer they seemed to have that own the road living look about themselves but not much more had to perform/entertainers, on the road living, here a couple of days then pack up and heading to the next venue. So to answer that question in my own opinion I do not believe that they are seen in the light of just everyday humans beings some with good hearts good intentions, some with deformities that have come to accept their fate and use that to provide entertainment.

I would still go to the circus and take my daughter if they happen to be in our area and even though this is a fiction book, I believe that I will appreciate it more in some ways
Chelsea N. Hackett
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

chelhack wrote: 12 Jun 2018, 03:08 You have some very good questions...

I believe that the image of circus life is underrated or not really seen nor thought of as more than what meets the eye. Which to me actually before reading this book was merely entertainment purpose and or value. Most of the time in my own perspective when seeing a circus worker/performer they seemed to have that own the road living look about themselves but not much more had to perform/entertainers, on the road living, here a couple of days then pack up and heading to the next venue. So to answer that question in my own opinion I do not believe that they are seen in the light of just everyday humans beings some with good hearts good intentions, some with deformities that have come to accept their fate and use that to provide entertainment.

I would still go to the circus and take my daughter if they happen to be in our area and even though this is a fiction book, I believe that I will appreciate it more in some ways
I guess I'd do exactly the same thing. I'd still go to the circus. Books like this only add to my former childhood fascination with the circus world in spite of the realistic description of the harsh living conditions of the circus people.
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
folkshot
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 489
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-folkshot.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by folkshot »

I still like the circus but I think a lot of the animals are mistreated. My husband won't go to the zoo or the circus with us because he has such strong feelings about it. I don't like clowns, they are never funny. I do like the acrobatics and other such skills, such as sword swallowing.
ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reyvrexquestor-reyes.html
Latest Review: Journey by Lindsay Schuster
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by ReyvrexQuestor Reyes »

This all depends on your standpoint. The spectators are out to enjoy, see some amazing animals, freak shows or magic tricks. The performers are out to have their adrenaline fixes by doing daring stunts, or the letdown of their lives if their act has lost its novelty.
"In the beginning was the word.........John 1:1"
...To delineate the times that lovers miss,
...A thousand dreams can't beat a single kiss.

-reyvrex (Love Sonnet 107)
Nmesoma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nmesoma.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Nmesoma »

What I love most about the circus life is the fact that everyone can forget about the strict protocols of life and become crazy without being held accountable for it. I think Duke was a bit dissatisfied, probably he'd do something else if he saw the chance. But I love the circus and for me; I would say that Duke who comes from a dysfunctional family should relate more to life in the circus.
Mouricia Allen
Currently Reading: Covet (Fallen Angels Series #1)
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mouricia25.html
Latest Review: The Life Inside Maggie Pincus by David I. Billingham
Reading Device: B01N3UC27N

Post by Mouricia Allen »

A fake sense of freedom, exploration (circuses travel a lot), and forever being happy is what pulls people. They never stop to think that it is still work and you need to make loads of sacrifices.
amcanelly3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amcanelly3.html
Latest Review: Puffy and the Formidable Foe by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by amcanelly3 »

I also hated that we got such a small glimpse of the circus life and the people Duke called family. And I feel the same way you do about the circus being a foreign country. It's exotic and mysterious and even though it's a constant it's always moving so it never truly has any routes. And most people can't live that kind of life so it's it's own wonder by itself. Of course people will flock to the circus. Even though it's not as prevalent today the circus is still around and it's still talented people doing extraordinary things.
P0tt3ry wrote: 01 May 2018, 09:56 The circus has always fascinated me because it seems to be a foreign country that travels from place to place. My father was a carnie during his teens and early twenties. He'd entertain us with stories of the behind-the-scene aspects of tear-down and set-up, including the mishaps. I visualized a close family on a constant adventure. The book described circus life but not in-depth. I wanted to know more about the Duke's circus family and was disappointed that people he was close to just disappeared from the story. Duke was an adrenaline junky and sword swallowing, with the constant chance of death, satisfied the itch. Adding more and more acts struck me as a way for him to find new ways to achieve the adrenaline high.
bookiegalke
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookiegalke.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by bookiegalke »

I've never gone to a circus for the simple fact that they don't interest me at all
'if you encounter a man of rare intellect, you should ask him what books he reads'
Ralph Waldo Emerson
atonykamau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atonykamau.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by atonykamau »

I can't really say I have any experience I the matter but it does sound fun to attend a circus

Return to “Discuss "The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid" by Gary Robinson”