Overall rating and opinion of " The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid" by Gary Robinson

Use this forum to discuss the May 2018 Book of the Month, "The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid" by Gary Robinson
Kishor Rao
2018 Reading Goal: 5
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 180
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kishor-rao.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Re: Overall rating and opinion of " The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid" by Gary Robinson

Post by Kishor Rao » 25 Nov 2018, 01:02

I gave The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid 4 out of 4 stars in my review. I really liked the fascinating aspects of circus life it had to offer to the readers. I really liked the friendship which beautifully bloomed between Duke and Gary. There was nothing that I didn't like about this book.I recommend this book because its a very good book and book-lovers should not be missing this one

Analeigh
Currently Reading: Misreading Judas
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-analeigh.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Post by Analeigh » 05 Dec 2018, 20:47

azerikaj wrote:
02 May 2018, 16:13
I agree. I think they were all stereotypes, of one kind or another. Like every woman in the book--very underwritten characters.
I was not pleased with the quality of the characters. From the very beginning it was clear they were stereotypes and not very original

Theresam
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 60
Currently Reading: The Rosario
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theresam.html
Latest Review: So You Think You Can Write? by Julia McCoy

Post by Theresam » 18 Dec 2018, 12:30

CatInTheHat wrote:
01 May 2018, 19:41
I really enjoyed The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid. I love learning about different groups and cultures. This one allowed me to see a part of America that is so different from what I typically think of as culture within my country. My favorite part was probably watching both Gary and Duke "save" themselves. I also enjoyed learning about different facets of the circus than I already knew. My least favorite part of the book was the graphic depictions of the drug overdoses. I also had a difficult time "watching" Duke take those dollar bills off of Gary.
Thank you for your comment I was thinking of downloading this book but wasn’t sure if it would be something I would enjoy reading. I liked the detail in your comment. I will add it to my list

memalescole75
Currently Reading: Yesterday
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-memalescole75.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Spring by G.X. Chen

Post by memalescole75 » 25 Dec 2018, 21:47

I just finished my review of this book and although I enjoyed the story overall, I think it could be better. The characters needed to be more fully developed to avoid the stereotypes many of you have mentioned and although Duke changes many things to improve the last years of his life, he never kicks his drug habit. Actually, he never even admits he has a problem! I also found his religious views unsettling, especially because they were never truly explained.

Radiant3
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: The MISOGI Method
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-radiant3.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington

Post by Radiant3 » 27 Dec 2018, 20:38

I found it to be an interesting book, one man who lived life on his own terms and another who was trying to find his way in life.

Tobiasblackwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tobiasblackwell.html
Latest Review: MY FRIEND Marilyn by Christopher Lentz

Post by Tobiasblackwell » 02 Feb 2019, 00:58

Not sure how I feel about the book. I feel that there wasn't enough character development for me to get attached to the characters. They seem to just exist on paper and not in my imagination.

daviddawud
2019 Reading Goal: 35
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 22
Currently Reading: Holding Fire
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daviddawud.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by daviddawud » 13 Mar 2019, 17:56

The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid is an incredible book. The sections are page turner. I explicitly love the short tales about various societies, individuals and their way of life.The book easily captures my attention from the beginning right from the title.

Hiruni Bhagya 81
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hiruni-bhagya-81.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Hiruni Bhagya 81 » 27 Mar 2019, 09:47

I really enjoyed it very much. But the presence of alcoholism, drug addiction, nudity was too much for me. I would have enjoyed it more if it was mentioned a little less. I would recommend it to mature readers who know right from wrong.

kelseydwf
2019 Reading Goal: 25
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 76
Favorite Book: Villette
Currently Reading: Seven at Two Past Five
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelseydwf.html
Latest Review: Looking Glass Friends by E L Neve
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by kelseydwf » 07 Jun 2019, 12:53

The environment of the circus really puts the title into perspective. I love a book with vivid, well-rounded characters, so I might try this one. However, I am a little wary about the stereotypes I have been reading about in comments. Is there a purpose to this in the book? I'll have to see!
"A purpose of human life, no matter who is controlling it, is to love whoever is around to be loved." -Kurt Vonnegut

Scrawling Pen
Currently Reading: Snape
Bookshelf Size: 138
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scrawling-pen.html
Latest Review: The Queen of Xana by Fred Pilcher

Post by Scrawling Pen » 20 Aug 2019, 00:36

I did not love the book, to be honest. The plot was underdeveloped and it made the story jumpy. I did enjoy the mentorship/friendship that the character developed at the end.

Oliver_books
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oliver-books.html
Latest Review: E-M-P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Oliver_books » 25 Dec 2019, 19:09

I rate The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson 3 out of 4 stars. :techie-studyinggray:
I enjoyed the way Gary Robinson discussed with plenty of humor taboo topics such as religion, tattoos, and the oddity of Sword swallowing which makes the story even more ‘one of a kind’.

Return to “Discuss "The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid" by Gary Robinson”