What genres/books do you prefer during different occasions?

A free choice month
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

What genres/books do you prefer during different occasions?

Post by Heidi M Simone »

• For a beach day, I would want something light.
  • For a rainy day, I would want a fantasy/adventurous read, so I can escape to an exciting new world.
  • For a long plane ride, I'd want a lengthy book.
  • For a short drive, I'd want something I can easily pop in and out of.
What do you think? What genres/books do you find yourself reading for different occasions? These occasions could be anything - time of day, seasonal, traveling, holiday-based, weather-based, going to a coffee shop, cuddling under a blanket, etc. :techie-studyingbrown:
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
jenjayfromSA
Currently Reading: First Family
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenjayfromsa.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by jenjayfromSA »

People laugh because I usually have 2 or 3 books going at once - unless one is a real pageturner that you can't put down. It all depends on mood. I also re-read favourites that I know will match my mood. When I'm very tired its children's stories (well, YA anyway, or a good fantasy, preferably one I know I will enjoy). On a rainy day something with a bit of pulling power - a good thriller, perhaps, as it has to compete with the family watching TV (can't bear most of that stuff, particularly soapies). Holiday reading? That's usually when I get into new authors for a touch of the unexpected. Depressed? Comfort food, old favourites, or a warm-hearted family novel. I took the three-volume Lord of the RIngs when I went into hospital to have my daughter. The nurses thought it was very funny. Needless to say, I didn't finish it!
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

hsimone wrote: 02 May 2018, 05:11
  • For a beach day, I would want something light.
  • For a rainy day, I would want a fantasy/adventurous read, so I can escape to an exciting new world.
  • For a long plane ride, I'd want a lengthy book.
  • For a short drive, I'd want something I can easily pop in and out of.
What do you think? What genres/books do you find yourself reading for different occasions? These occasions could be anything - time of day, seasonal, traveling, holiday-based, weather-based, going to a coffee shop, cuddling under a blanket, etc. :techie-studyingbrown:
You summarised it very well. My choice is similar in many ways. For a rainy day, something from horror genre; for a cold windy winter day, a fast paced thriller; for a summer holiday, may be a romantic story or any character driven story. After a long and strenuous day, a light read, may be a chick lit; when I have got very short time periods for reading, a collection of short stories;when I have got loads of time, a lengthy historical novel perhaps; for a free weekend, may be a science fiction? And for any day, any mood, a fantasy story is all I need! :)
NL Hartje
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

Well, I am (sadly) one of the humans who cannot read in the car so I'm enviously reading your inclusions of short, car reads.

In general, I suppose I always want a lengthy book, and I always want a series (if I am reading for pleasure).

Your question has set me to wondering if I actually DO have different preferences for different scenarios though. :eusa-think:

I don't think I've ever chosen a book based on when I'll be reading it. Whatever I'm reading works no matter where I am. It seems that, for me, I seek out books based more on my mood than my setting.

I have found myself recently hopping out of my preferred fantasy (or any fiction) genre to read non-fiction that relates to what's going on in my daily routine. Perhaps it's because I'm growing older, but I have lately been seeking out books on "boundaries," "how to say no," and "self-soothing." (Making myself sound super stable here aren't I? :lol2: )

Again, relating more to my mood/life than the setting, I suppose I seek out chick-lit when I'm feeling down and need a good laugh.
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

I am such an utter mood reader that the situation is completely irrelevant. :lol:

A few weird things though...
When I am stressed out and need a distraction, I turn to classics or graphic novels.
And I seem to start craving my sciency books when the cold weather starts in.

I am a weirdo. :teasing-tease:
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
Sketches_by_Shell
Favorite Book: Sketches by Boz
Currently Reading: The Druids
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sketches-by-shell.html
Latest Review: Something About Ann by J. Everett Prewitt
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by Sketches_by_Shell »

I want to learn things, even at this stage of my life, I lean towards non-fiction. I obsessed about Lady Diana and other royals for a long time, now I want to read more about Jackie Onassis. When I want something light, I reach for historical fiction. I enjoy many different genres though.
"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need." Cicero

Return to “May 2018 Genre Discussion”