Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Which genre do you gravitate towards?

Post by Heidi M Simone »

When you go through your books, go to the bookstore, the library, etc. what genre do you find yourself gravitating towards? Why do you think that is?

Have you always gravitated toward this genre or has that changed over the years?
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
candybella940
Currently Reading: Two Sheldon Iowa Summers
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by candybella940 »

I mostly gravitate toward inspirational books, romantic books and fashion style books..... Y I think it is is because I believe it will help me now and in future. over d years diz genre as change due to d fact of not fully determined or focus but with time I got bck on grip and now fully determined to make out a great deal of success through out my life on earth.
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

As a child and a teen, I liked the heart-warming family stuff. I read all of Little House and Janette Oak's books. Now I prefer action, dystopian, and anything with a plot twist. My favorite author is Dean Koontz. My how I've changed.
PlanetHauth
Currently Reading: Celebrity
Bookshelf Size: 766
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-planethauth.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by PlanetHauth »

I always, always gravitate towards Sci-Fi/Fantasy novels. I've always had a ridiculously active imagination and I think that's why I enjoy SF/F. It stretches the imagination, opens up new possibilities, and gets me into the imaginative minds of other people.

In the last few years, though, I've also picked up reading romance novels and erotic novels. My favorites are supernatural romance, because it mixes the elements I love from SF/F and the romance aspects that sometimes appear in SF/F, but aren't expanded upon (because they're secondary to the plot).

I also enjoy historical romances for the peeks into the dress and mannerisms of the past. I've always loved the dresses women wore in the past (from many different periods, not really any specific style), and have wished that wearing dresses like them in public now would be normal. :lol2:
“Don’t adventures ever have an end? I suppose not. Someone else always has to carry on the story.”
-Bilbo Baggins
jenjayfromSA
Currently Reading: First Family
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenjayfromsa.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by jenjayfromSA »

I always head for Sci Fi and Fantasy, always have. When I was a kid, my friends thought I was starstruck or simply crazy. I love new ideas, possibilities, expanding horizons, I love world building and seeing how characters adapt to different circumstances. Also, I love fantasy, from the myths and legends to all the new stuff that's coming out now. Next stop - historical, I guess. Again, characters in very different circumstances and ways of living. It has to be fairly accurate though. I read up the histories as well! From there, to the thrillers and even popular science. I can't cope with the real stuff, but the ideas are always fascinating. It's a strange and wonderful universe.
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

When it comes to books, I am usually an omnivore. But stiil if I have to specify, I love reading Sci-fi and fantasy books since childhood. They are still my favourites, but in recent years there was a slight trend towards horror genre and then towards Chick Lit. Also, very recently, I am findng more and more thrillers and detective stories in my 'read' and 'to read' lists.
NL Hartje
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

I have always gravitated toward fantasy. Sci-fi is usually a turn-off for me as the verbiage often bogs me down. I also will generally pick up any historical fiction. :reading-6:
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

My go to is still urban fantasy, but I read it so rarely anymore!

I've been on a marathon of it lately, and it's like coming home. :mrgreen:
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
Tamorie Hargro
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Billy Summers
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tamorie-hargro.html
Latest Review: Teardrops by Helen Burger
Reading Device: B083JVJQH4

Post by Tamorie Hargro »

I'm pulled in by so many genres I ask myself this question a lot! I really enjoy fantasy-type novels like Harry Potter, realistic fiction like the Crank series by Ellen Hopkins, mystery and crime novels (but mostly if something seems super suspicious rather than depicting an actual crime, I'm more interested). I don't know...

But I'd say realistic fiction is what I like to read most~
J.K. Rowling - Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban wrote:Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light. 🔥
Irene C
Currently Reading: Outlander
Bookshelf Size: 145
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-irene-c.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Irene C »

I’m a historical fiction lover. I also love dystopic and other speculative lit, ever since I read The Giver as a kid.
History is not a burden on the memory but an illumination of the soul. Lord Acton
Heidi M Simone
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

I definitely gravitate toward fantasy. I think partly because I love reading about far-fetched/imaginative stories (i.e. dragons, magic, witches, wizards, etc.), but also when I discovered I loved reading it was a fantasy book - Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. Before this, I was a poor reader and actually hated the whole process, but in middle school, Harry Potter entered my life and I have special place in my heart for him. :)
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Yoniasantana
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Currently Reading: Strange the Dreamer
Bookshelf Size: 25

Post by Yoniasantana »

I automatically go to the YA or to the Fantasy, It's like a pull. But lately I've been trying to get out of that habit, so I've been reading some Contemporary Books. So if you guys have any suggestions for some contemporary books for me to read I would really and appreciate it love it.
Kendra M Parker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kendra-m-parker.html
Latest Review: Requiem, Changing Times by RJ Parker
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Kendra M Parker »

I tend to heavily gravitate to sci-fi/fantasy. Occasionally, I will slip in a romance for some spice. And I will sometimes read something “literary” to boost my intelligence, but I’m not a fan of how often this genre has sad or unsettled endings.
CinWin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 311
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cinwin.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by CinWin »

I have always loved a good Mystery. I like to try and guess "who dun it". I have always gravitated towards this genre but as I get older I am getting more into the Spiritual and Self help books...but I still love mysteries!
----"Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get."----
Babyscarface14
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Babyscarface14 »

I always loved to read fantasy since i was a little kid. The whole idea of magical beasts and magic always been intresting to me.

Return to “May 2018 Genre Discussion”