Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Free Choice Genre Discussion

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Happy May everyone! For this month, the genre of choice will be yours! Choose a genre/book and share what have read.
  • Share what genre you choose and why did you choose this specific genre?
  • What book did you end up reading?
  • Did you enjoy/dislike the book? Share why you did/didn't.
  • How would you rate this book?
  • Would you recommend it?
This should be an exciting month! As always, let's have fun! :)
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
jenjayfromSA
Currently Reading: First Family
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenjayfromsa.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by jenjayfromSA »

I enjoy stories in letter or diary format. Not common, but it's a different way of putting across character and plot. Of course, letters are a dying art. Emails don't cut it An old favourite is Daddy Long Legs by Jean Webster and the sequel Dear Enemy. An orphan is sent to college by an unknown benefactor and has to write a letter to him once a month. She's upbeat, funny, vulnerable and delightful. Mary Ann Shaffer's The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society set in the Second World War is also warm and real. In diary form is another old favourite, Desiree by Annemarie Selinko. The advantage is that you can easily drop or skate over a couple of months or even years. I've just finished the sequel to Hendrik Groen's The Secret Diary of Hendrik Groen aged 83 and a quarter, set in an old age home in the Netherlands. He is now 85 and aging is definitely the pits, but he's still warm, wise and funny. The Old But Not Dead Club may have new members, but the senior delinquents are going strong and having fun.
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

jenjayfromSA wrote: 03 May 2018, 03:01 I enjoy stories in letter or diary format. Not common, but it's a different way of putting across character and plot. Of course, letters are a dying art. Emails don't cut it An old favourite is Daddy Long Legs by Jean Webster and the sequel Dear Enemy. An orphan is sent to college by an unknown benefactor and has to write a letter to him once a month. She's upbeat, funny, vulnerable and delightful. Mary Ann Shaffer's The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society set in the Second World War is also warm and real. In diary form is another old favourite, Desiree by Annemarie Selinko. The advantage is that you can easily drop or skate over a couple of months or even years. I've just finished the sequel to Hendrik Groen's The Secret Diary of Hendrik Groen aged 83 and a quarter, set in an old age home in the Netherlands. He is now 85 and aging is definitely the pits, but he's still warm, wise and funny. The Old But Not Dead Club may have new members, but the senior delinquents are going strong and having fun.
Interesting choice! It gave me new book suggestions as well. Because so far the only 'diary format book' I can remember to have read is 'Diary of a Young Girl' by Anne Frank. I am going to try the books you mentioned. Thank you for sharing! :D
Sketches_by_Shell
Favorite Book: Sketches by Boz
Currently Reading: The Druids
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sketches-by-shell.html
Latest Review: Something About Ann by J. Everett Prewitt
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by Sketches_by_Shell »

I'm reading travel stories right now. I cannot seem to get enough of them. Maybe it is because I cannot get on a plane? The most recent group of three that I have read were Bill Bryson's The Lost Continent: Travels in Small Town America, The Road to Little Dribbling, and Notes from a Small Island were really good. I would recommend them to anyone who would like to travel, but cannot. The first one is in America, but the other two are in England. Bill Bryson tells his stories of travel with a hint of humor. He gives a good road trip tour guide that one could follow along on their trip.
"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need." Cicero
Heidi M Simone
Favorite Book: Harry Potter

Post by Heidi M Simone »

I recently finished a book!

~ The book's genre was historical fiction. This was a book that my in-person book club chose as our next read, so that's why I ended up reading it. Though I do enjoy some historical fiction books, in general.

~ I read The True Story of Hansel and Gretel by Louise Murphy.

~ It was a really good book. I found it gave good insight during the Nazi occupation in Poland in the last few months of the war, but following two young children brought another level of sympathy to those who suffered during this time.

~ When I finished it, I gave it a 3/4 stars due to the emotional aspects. However, it did have some pacing problems for me.

~ I would recommend this book to those who would like to read a book about war and survival that focuses on two children.

*As a warning, there is a child raping scene that was almost too much for me. I had to put the book down and look away for a couple of minutes before continuing. The scene isn't long, but it was still disturbing.*
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Heidi M Simone
Favorite Book: Harry Potter

Post by Heidi M Simone »

I also recently read Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll. I'm sure many know that this children's/fantasy book. This was the first time I read the book and I wasn't a fan of it. There wasn't a plot, character development, and no world building. It's probably meant to be a trippy type of read, but if it was any longer then I don't think I would have been able to finish it. I ended up giving the book a 2/4 stars. I'm sure those who have nostalgia attached to this book would enjoy it still. However, I don't really have any nostalgia toward this book as I didn't read it as a child.

Hopefully, my next book will be a bit more entertaining!

How's everyone else doing with their free choice book? :)
Heidi

thaservices1
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thaservices1.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Post by thaservices1 »

I read a Thiller. Lost Boys by Orson Scott Card. I picked up the book because I am fan of Card's incredible sci-fi novels. I've also read a fantasy novel he wrote and thought he did quite a nice job in switching genres, so I was interested to see what he would do with a thriller type novel.

I was impressed. The story was deeply immersive. His main characters in Lost Boys are a Mormon family and he gives a lot insight into the daily lives of people practicing that faith. Through the entire novel Card builds the suspense, even in simple everyday scenes you can feel it coming, something...something is coming.

His writing was not as intense as say Stephen King, he doesn't use that ominous foreshadowing that King does. The devil is in the details with Card's writing. I would rate Lost Boys 4 out of 4. If you enjoy a deeply thought out story that'll give you a chill, I highly recommend it.
"It is not the critic that counts..."
- Roosevelt
FATHIMATH SHAHLA
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by FATHIMATH SHAHLA »

And Frank's diary is a diary that describes experiences that fill the heart with pain every time it is read. At a time when the latest reviews are coming out, don't get me wrong when I talk about this book that was written so many years ago... It is also a book that has influenced me a lot.

An Frank's diary is a direct picture of the suffering that the Jewish people had to suffer because of racism during the reign of Hitler, who was the dictator of Germany during the Second World War. Anne Frank is a writer from Germany. Hitler, the German ruler, wrote the Anfrank diaries including facts that were not included in his autobiography 'Mein Kauf'.

In 1933, And Frank's family moved to Holland. Later, when the German army invaded Holland, Frank and his Jewish family sought refuge in a hideout. The theme of the diary is the misadventures faced by the Jewish people in this context. This diary tells us about the deplorable condition of the hideout while hiding from Hitler's Nazism, the brutal killing of Jews by the Nazis, the fear that fills their minds with every sound, and the anguish they felt through this diary.

.While reading this diary, we can experience fear, sadness and hope. Contrary to hope, when the Nazi army captures Frank and his family, the reader's hope will fade. This little girl's diary is an experience beyond words. You should read it.

And Frank died in the concentration camp in 1945. Her diary took over the world as a lasting memory.

Return to “May 2018 Genre Discussion”