Anyone feel sorry for Alex?

Use this forum to discuss the April 2018 Book of the Month, "Ironbark Hill" by Jennie Linnane
JGretz-7
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: The Formative Five
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgretz-7.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: Anyone feel sorry for Alex?

Post by JGretz-7 »

While learning more about Alex's character, we come to understand reasons why he turned to alcohol to self-soothe. He didn't have the skill set to handle his problems. However, there were several opportunities where he could have made different choices and should have if he truly loved Irma. I had no pity for him. Do unto others as you would want done to/for you. He never followed that motto, unless he wanted to be beaten within an inch of his life.
Suzer6440 xyz
Favorite Book: Pearl River Mansion
Currently Reading: Five Total Strangers
Bookshelf Size: 201
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-suzer6440-xyz.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Suzer6440 xyz »

The only reason I feel an ounce of sympathy for him is because he wasn’t strong enough to get the help he needed. He had to be very unhappy with himself and his life To choose the path that he did.

That being said , I do not pity ANYONE that uses their weaknesses toward their family who they are supposed to love and protect
Suzer6440 xyz
Favorite Book: Pearl River Mansion
Currently Reading: Five Total Strangers
Bookshelf Size: 201
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-suzer6440-xyz.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Suzer6440 xyz »

I find it hard to answer this question. My answer is yes I do feel sorry for him because alchohol took over his life. My personal feeling is that we turn to things like alcohol and drugs because of many underlying reasons, lack of confidence, stress, depression.... the list goes on. With that being said, I also do not feel sorry for him because he could have taken steps to help himself and prevent all the turmoil and monster like actions in his life
Samuel Okoye 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17

Post by Samuel Okoye 2 »

Yeah Alex actually deserves some pity. I personally feel for him, and wish he didn't die the way he did. However his alcohol addiction doesn't justify the way he treated his family.

Return to “Discuss "Ironbark Hill" by Jennie Linnane”