Anyone feel sorry for Alex?

Use this forum to discuss the April 2018 Book of the Month, "Ironbark Hill" by Jennie Linnane
Kathryn Price
Currently Reading: The Fifth Season
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kathryn-price.html
Latest Review: The Doughnut Boy by Michael R. Dennis

Anyone feel sorry for Alex?

Post by Kathryn Price »

I'm not saying that I personally pity him, but one could make the argument that Alex deserves some sympathy. He definitely loves his children, and if he could have gotten enough help with his alcoholism he might not have destroyed his relationships so thoroughly. I was willing Natty to save him when he fell into the river because I always tend to try to give people second chances, but I also understand why she couldn't respond in time and why it didn't grieve her very much after his death.

What do you think? Was Alex a total monster or did he deserve some pity?
“If you believe only in facts and forget stories, your brain will live, but your heart will die” ― Cassandra Clare, Lord of Shadows
TashaCrispin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tashacrispin.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Post by TashaCrispin »

I felt a lot of empathy for Alex and I can confidently say he is not a total monster. People can get lost but with second chances, they could do better. If Natty saved him that day, maybe he could have changed his ways but I would also not judge her response. It was a messed up situation...
Nena_Morena
Favorite Book: The Notebook
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nena-morena.html
Latest Review: Getting Used to Success by H.J. Shalev

Post by Nena_Morena »

The alcohol brought the worst out of him, but even when he was sober he wasn't a very good man. We read he tried to hit on Irma despite the fact that she was married, he liked starting fights, he never took good care of the farm and he was totalitarian in the way he wanted people to do what he said. I met some alcoholic men but never any that beat a child like he did. Despite this, I don't think he deserved to die and I wish he could have accepted help for his alcoholism.
Sefiros2211
Favorite Book: Eye of the World
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sefiros2211.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by Sefiros2211 »

Not for one second. He chose the bottle. It's a part of him. That's what happens when you crave escape: the bottle changes you. It becomes a part of you. Every decision you make now has the alcohol incorporated into it.

Let's be clear. Addictions can be overcome. But you really, really need to want it. If Alex truly wanted to, he could have changed his act. But the fact that he relies on booze for tragedies makes him a deadweight - to him, and the family around him. He's no use to anyone at that state. Choice, people. It's all about choice.
liftedbooks
Currently Reading: The Ansgar Treasury
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-liftedbooks.html
Latest Review: The Embalmer by Vincent Zandri

Post by liftedbooks »

He was a slave to alcohol- in that sense I feel sorry for him. However, like Sefiros2211 said, it's all about choice.
Fuzzy456
Currently Reading: The Spirit of Want
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fuzzy456.html
Latest Review: My Ladybird Story by Magus Tor
Reading Device: B00N9ZVN90

Post by Fuzzy456 »

In some way he can be pitied but on the other hand, life is full of choices and we all have the ability to make the proper choices for a better life.
[Valerie Allen]
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 773
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-allen.html
Latest Review: Utopia Project by Billy Dering

Post by [Valerie Allen] »

Yes and no. Why? It's that statement of truth thing: "hurt people, hurt other people".
And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. (Revelation 20:12 (NKJV) :reading-7:
Okafor Prosper
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 250
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okafor-prosper.html
Latest Review: 52 Pieces: by Dr. Marina Kostina

Post by Okafor Prosper »

Not at all
00LynnMarie
Currently Reading: The Warramunga's War
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-00lynnmarie.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Post by 00LynnMarie »

I absolutely felt empathy for this character! Don't get me wrong, the way he abused Natalie and treated Joe was absolutely horrible. As I learned more about the character and his history, the more I grew to understand how he ended up the way he did. When he finally got his chance with Irma, he did so with the knowledge that he would always be the second choice. On top of that, he lost a child. I imagine this to be the worst pain someone could go through. Unfortunately, all of that grief can be too much for some, and poor Alex turned to the bottle. The alcohol pretty much destroyed what good he did have in him.
"There are times when the world is rearranging itself, and at times like that, the right words can change the world." - Orson Scott Card, Ender's Game
Chandler_Greg
Currently Reading: Beneath the Kauri Tree
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chandler-greg.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Chandler_Greg »

He can be forgiven for his alcoholism, but not for the violent treatment of his wife and step-children. Clearly, he loved his own, white, children, but he treated both step-children with disdain and anger. It's clear that this is a combination of the jealousy he felt for the children's father, but also a product of racial hatred as evidenced by the derogatory names he called them both. Yes, he became violent when drunk, but the emotional and verbal abuse where not triggered by drink. Alcohol is also no excuse for violence. It acts to dis-inhibit; it does not create a violent reaction that isn't already felt. Not every alcoholic beats their wife or children.
Helpme71
Favorite Book: The Cruel Romance
Currently Reading: Last Shot
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helpme71.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by Helpme71 »

I have mixed feelings about Alex's death. I feel that Natalie should've saved him, but, at the same time, I am also happy that she unintentionally let him drown. He was a manipulative abuser, and it was truly his fault that he died because he tried to rush a frightened Libby over the bridge. If he hadn't tried to rush in his impatience, there is a good chance he wouldn't have fallen into the river.
"Education is the most powerful weapon we can use to change the world." -Nelson Mandela

"Ye are our epistle, written in our hearts, known and read of all men;" -2 Corinthians 3:2 (ASV)
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

I think people always have the potential to change, with God's help. No one's a lost cause if they're breathing. I can't speak about Alex specifically, I haven't read this book, but that's my real-life take on it.
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
Misael Carlos
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Sins of a Master Race
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 213
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-misael-carlos.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Misael Carlos »

I believe that if death is the only way to save innocent and good people from being hurt in any aspect: I guess one person's life was justifiable, especially if he does not believe in God.
dgallois
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dgallois.html
Latest Review: Betrayal of Faith by Mark M. Bello
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by dgallois »

I can't really say that I felt sorry for him. I agree if he had some help overcoming the dependence on alcohol, he could have been a better person. I don't have any tolerance for abusers of children though.
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn ~ Benjamin Franklin
holsam_87
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 1691
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by holsam_87 »

Alex does deserve some pity, but he also needs to realize that being a bully will not bring back his deceased son.
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key

Return to “Discuss "Ironbark Hill" by Jennie Linnane”