Should the ending be different?

Use this forum to discuss the April 2018 Book of the Month, "Ironbark Hill" by Jennie Linnane
Amondi Oluoch
Favorite Book: Trip to Adele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amondi-oluoch.html
Latest Review: Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

Re: Should the ending be different?

Post by Amondi Oluoch »

The epilogue in particular was a dissatisfactory point to me. Yeah, I understand it shouldn't have spoilers but at the same time it brought out a heavy topic to deal with all together.
We would have been left wondering about what could have happened to Natalie next.
When it comes to directing the world to work with you, age doesn't matter, race doesn't matter, origin doesn't matter.
Ashley Louise
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-louise.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Ashley Louise »

What I liked about the ending was that most people wanted a different ending, in a way it's refreshing when an author goes against what people would want or expect. But I feel it was too much RIGHT at the end. I was personally a bit disappointed. (Moreso in Natalie than I was the ending).
"We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." - Kurt Vonnegut
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

I loved the ending in terms of both what happened to Alex and the wrap-up on Natalie's mature life. I have read the previous discussions above, so I am aware of all the controversy and why some people may not have enjoyed such an ending. To cut a long story short, I loved it because of its sadness and authenticity.
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Annette Smith
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20

Post by Annette Smith »

jwalker73 wrote: 10 Apr 2018, 04:21 I wasn't satisfied with the ending. I know such situations exist (not giving away spoilers), but I found this threw in a quite heavy, additional topic right at the end of the book as if it was insignificant. I do not know if this was for shock value or what, but it left me with too many unanswered questions at the end instead of a sense of closure.
I felt the same. The additional topic was very significant, and left me feeling like it wasn't resolved. I like a more tidy ending and a sense of closure to books, unless I know they are part of a series that will carry the themes into the next book.
Lu_rire
Currently Reading: The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lu-rire.html
Latest Review: Driven by Max Barnet/Hugh Aaron

Post by Lu_rire »

I do not like the ending but I must admit that it does feel realistic that her weakness from her most emotionally damaged years still held her captive even at an advanced age. I do not like it but I can agree with it.
carneysm50
Favorite Book: Freedom Is For The Birds
Currently Reading: Middlemarch
Bookshelf Size: 36

Post by carneysm50 »

Yes, I think the ending would be more realistic if Natalie's feelings for an married, older man were dropped at the end. I do not agree with the acceptance of her family and Bruce's wife of the relationship without comments and gossip is quite right.
lisamcogutu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisamcogutu.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Post by lisamcogutu »

I think the ending without the epilogue would have been nice.
carneysm50
Favorite Book: Freedom Is For The Birds
Currently Reading: Middlemarch
Bookshelf Size: 36

Post by carneysm50 »

I think the Epilogue could have been included in the storyline.
Jbluestocking2
Currently Reading: The Next Worship
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jbluestocking2.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Jbluestocking2 »

I wasn't completely satisfied with the ending either, but not particularly due to the life decisions so much as how the author concluded what was a beautifully and completely enthralling course of events with a 30 year jump and only a few neat and tidy paragraphs. While I believe Natalie's course in life makes sense in correlation to what we know of her, some of the final actions in the story don't seem to carry any natural consequences at all. Or at least we are not privy to any of that. It doesn't quite make enough sense to me. While I am satisfied as a reader, I'm not sure if the story isn't manipulated a little TOO much for that satisfaction. Would there really be no investigation into the fire that could lead back to the Townsend household? And Alex the drunk would really keep that information about Nat to himself for just the right moment? Which of course, proves his downfall. And NO ONE is ever shocked over Nat and Bruce's relationship, or even concerned?
I really loved this book; the characters are very real- good, bad and ugly. But I wish the ending seemed as rooted in reality as the people.
Lee_Reads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lee-reads.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis

Post by Lee_Reads »

I was satisfied with the ending. All of my questions were answered. I wouldn’t make any changes.
Nena_Morena
Favorite Book: The Notebook
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nena-morena.html
Latest Review: Getting Used to Success by H.J. Shalev

Post by Nena_Morena »

heidifinger wrote: 11 Apr 2018, 09:58 I am not happy with the ending. I was happy with the outcome of Alex and I like how that scene played out. But I did not appreciate Natalie's relationship. I think it ruins her strong woman vibe the author is trying to portray.
I completely agree. I admired Natalie's strength and determination throughout the book, but the epilogue left me with a bad taste in my mouth.
[Valerie Allen]
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 772
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-allen.html
Latest Review: Utopia Project by Billy Dering

Post by [Valerie Allen] »

I cannot answer without spoiling the book, so I choose to pass on this question. But, however, I think it had a good ending according to the author's view point.
And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. (Revelation 20:12 (NKJV) :reading-7:
00LynnMarie
Currently Reading: The Warramunga's War
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-00lynnmarie.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Post by 00LynnMarie »

I thought the ending was just right! As I was reading the book, I was kind of rolling my eyes. I was so sure of how the book was going to end. I was very pleasantly surprised when it didn't end as expected. The ending also made sense to me when I sat back and considered the personalities of those characters. It just seemed to fit.
"There are times when the world is rearranging itself, and at times like that, the right words can change the world." - Orson Scott Card, Ender's Game
meananne
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by meananne »

It should be. Be unique and different, it can make your own story stand out from others.
Helpme71
Favorite Book: The Cruel Romance
Currently Reading: Last Shot
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helpme71.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by Helpme71 »

I think I like the outcome of the story. It's not the typical "and they lived happily ever after" kind of ending, but it is still a satisfying ending for me. It depicts Natalie as the same girl we read about throughout the novel and I like that about Linnane's writing. At the end, Natalie is older and wiser but still retains the same wit and same personality that made me fall in love with her in the first place.
"Education is the most powerful weapon we can use to change the world." -Nelson Mandela

"Ye are our epistle, written in our hearts, known and read of all men;" -2 Corinthians 3:2 (ASV)

Return to “Discuss "Ironbark Hill" by Jennie Linnane”