Was there any way Natalie could justify her feelings for a married man?

Use this forum to discuss the April 2018 Book of the Month, "Ironbark Hill" by Jennie Linnane
AWANDO OGUTU
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-awando-ogutu.html
Latest Review: Brand Real by Vasken Kalayjian

Re: Was there any way Natalie could justify her feelings for a married man?

Post by AWANDO OGUTU »

I wouldn't support Natalie's feelings for a married man as that would tantamount to endorsement of adulterous relationships.
Bookwormgirl1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookwormgirl1.html
Latest Review: Concealment by Rose Edmunds

Post by Bookwormgirl1 »

I think that even if she had those feelings she shouldn't have acted on them. She should have sought to understand them and then get rid of them.
AWANDO OGUTU
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-awando-ogutu.html
Latest Review: Brand Real by Vasken Kalayjian

Post by AWANDO OGUTU »

Whatever Natalie's reasons were, sleeping with a married man was unjustifiable.
LarissaRunamuck
Favorite Book: A Wizard of Earthsea
Currently Reading: Kicking & Dreaming
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-larissarunamuck.html
Latest Review: Darkness in Malaga by Paul S Bradley

Post by LarissaRunamuck »

Some people view love as having more weight than other aspects of life. Perhaps it is seen as something more long lasting and necessary in a big picture kind of way. Love is sometimes viewed as the ultimate justification for any action. Age and other factors, such as the man already being married, sometimes fall to the back burner in situations where love is at hand, especially for young people. The fact that she grew into adulthood with this man may show that sometimes, the ends justify the means. Had it not worked out, it may be viewed differently (as a waste of time and effort and as though her actions are much more negative after all). But since it worked out for her, love wins and the actions taken to get there sort of fall to the wayside.
“But need alone is not enough to set power free: there must be knowledge.”
― Ursula K. Le Guin, A Wizard of Earthsea
Mr Justin
Favorite Book: Sky in June
Currently Reading: Russia's Biggest Hack
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mr-justin.html
Latest Review: The Broadcast by Liam Fialkov
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Mr Justin »

There is no justification for Natalie’s unethical behavior. However, the human emotions are subject to the control of the person ─ most people are controlled by their emotions or feelings. The reason is simple: They lack self-control! This is an inner strength only God gives. It cannot either be bought with money or learned by experience.

Natalie’s like any other human beings has her own shortcomings. However, the right to choose to do what‘s right or wrong is one of the inalienable rights God, Our creator, gives freely.
bruin
Currently Reading: Cracking the Genome
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bruin.html
Latest Review: Havana 1995 -english version- by Ileana Gonzalez Monserrat

Post by bruin »

I think our hearts will guide our actions, and can overpower rational thinking. As a teen, I could see how she couldn't stop herself and think that it as the wrong path. As an adult, you can figure out when you're getting into a bad situation and have the will power to walk away from it.
Star88
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-star88.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by Star88 »

I understand where she's coming from but I don't think that is any excuse.
LaurenHaupt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurenhaupt.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by LaurenHaupt »

Love can make you do some stupid things. It is important to try to control yourself though and think before you act.
:techie-studyingbrown:
avantkristine
Favorite Author: Louise Erdrich
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avantkristine.html
Latest Review: Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane
fav_author_id: 3184

Post by avantkristine »

I don't think Natalie is to be blamed here. She was a child and he was a GROWN MAN that took advantage of her. Natalie was not "stealing" Rosemary's man, she was being manipulated by a predator. It was so disappointing to learn that they remained together in the future. It doesn't make sense, honestly, that Natalie - such a fierce and wonderful character - would not figure out that she is in a toxic relationship and get away from him. I was really hoping that Natalie, as an older and wiser narrator, would recognize that their relationship was wrong.
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

I agree with what was said above. I think, at sixteen, she was too young and vulnerable to be totally aware of what was happening. Mr. Grover, however, was old enough to know better and should have put a stop to it. As she got older, though, she should have become more aware that it was wrong and found a way out.
LyorBoone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lyorboone.html
Latest Review: Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream by Dr Frank L Douglas

Post by LyorBoone »

FilmStar wrote: 04 Apr 2018, 13:16 I could understand at 16 stealing Mrs. Glover's husband but I can't believe...

*spoiler alert*

that she was still with him when she became an adult and that everyone was okay with it.
Does it explicitly say she still with him or is it implied metaphorically. I remember it mentioned a lover-for eternity in a way where she could be looking for another, and she taught art at the time so I didn’t think she worked over there still...
“History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme” - Mark Twain. Dare we say the same thing about every story that gets told in the world?

Return to “Discuss "Ironbark Hill" by Jennie Linnane”