What is the best way to overcome abuse and trauma?

Use this forum to discuss the April 2018 Book of the Month, "Ironbark Hill" by Jennie Linnane
elivia05
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elivia05.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Re: What is the best way to overcome abuse and trauma?

Post by elivia05 »

lesler wrote: 02 Apr 2018, 14:26 Natalie does a good job overcoming her own abuse, by fighting back. I don't think there's any specific best way to overcome abuse, as everyone is different. Talking things out, and learning is an excellent way, though.
I totally agree. There is no correct way to overcome abuse. Everyone is different and people handle trauma differently.
elivia05
Currently Reading:

Post by elivia05 »

SABRADLEY wrote: 04 Apr 2018, 09:17 That's a tricky one. A lot of people never overcome the effects of abuse. I venture to say even most will fall into that category. Having a support system of trusted individuals, finding strength in survivor's stories, perhaps church, trying to find healthy outlets like excerise and counseling, may offer assistance.
I totally agree. There is no correct way to overcome abuse. Everyone is different and people handle trauma differently.
elivia05
Currently Reading:

Post by elivia05 »

ValBookReviews wrote: 26 May 2018, 06:25 No, the alcoholic father is not the only responsible person in this family equation. I find that all knowing parties are just as responsible, especially the mother. And, having dealt with abuse and other traumatic trials, I have found that fighting backing: speaking up and out, seeking help, prayer and my faith in God are a few the best means of responding to abuse and other traumatic experiences. If a writer, such as myself having experienced such tragedy, I think it is not as difficult to describe abusive situations.
elivia05
Currently Reading:

Post by elivia05 »

alisonedgee wrote: 27 May 2018, 10:36 all ways are difficult i guess, it depends on the person or what happened to them. time heals all wounds i suppose.
elivia05
Currently Reading:

Post by elivia05 »

Edgeona wrote: 01 Jun 2018, 22:33 Abuse hurts, it's every aspect of our lives, to get over abuse and trauma that comes with its, you see a therapist or talk to someone, that will encourage you to let go.
elivia05
Currently Reading:

Post by elivia05 »

kislany wrote: 02 Jun 2018, 02:44 I think a lot of people went through some form of abuse in their lives. Therapy and a good ear to listen without judgement are a great way to help those in need.
elivia05
Currently Reading:

Post by elivia05 »

Mr Benji wrote: 06 Apr 2018, 17:26 One way to one overcome trauma is to speak with your pastor. And you must forgive the abuser so you can move on. Though the pain hurts, one must move on.
elivia05
Currently Reading:

Post by elivia05 »

Flower81 wrote: 06 Jun 2018, 20:10 There is no best way to get out from under abuse and trauma. But then you know, fighting back isn't the most effective. Usually just get away from the situation or person is very effective. Get safe. Get help, counseling and don't go back.
elivia05
Currently Reading:

Post by elivia05 »

Uniquevictor1 wrote: 16 May 2018, 07:15 Therapy, therapy, therapy :-)
I say it over and over, but it’s true.
You will never completely overcome
abuse, as my psychiatrist explained.
There will always be damage, but you
learn how to live with it and unlearn
most damage behaviours. You heal.
Some of the PTSD never quite goes away
but it’s manageable, on the fringes of
your life.
Removing yourself from the situation is
next although, as I discovered even
before the internet and smart phone
age, you can move far away or across
the other side of the world, and all you
do is cut down physical contact, though
that’s a plus. Phones and letters do the
same controlling work they did when
you were living closer.
So going No Contact - whatsoever -
forever - is the next big plus despite the
ongoing attempts (again by letter and
phone) to break you down.
Fortunately I was in a good place then,
husband completely on side, able to
enjoy my young children without the
pressure to abuse them too, and the
abusers already beginning to abuse
them as well which was the tipping
point. Supported by upholding therapy
for 6 years. Good friends. And beginning
to do well in the field of my passion.
elivia05
Currently Reading:

Post by elivia05 »

The BookWorm Nagham wrote: 22 May 2018, 03:04 There are no right way to overcome abuse, some people find refuge and solace in their hobbies such as art, music, dance, sports, books... other may need assistance from professionals. I think that the best road to recovery is putting it all out there, even if you're writing it in your diary, just confide in someone you trust. It isn't easy to have your trust broken. In this case, Natalie wasn't at fault, she shouldn't have fought her father alone, her mother should have stepped up. No one should go through this alone.
elivia05
Currently Reading:

Post by elivia05 »

Delioness wrote: 03 May 2018, 19:01 Overcoming abuse and trauma in reality, is easier said than done. Most often, victims of such end up learning how to cope with it. In an attempt to profer a solution; firstly, I would suggest meeting a professional, that is a psychologist whose core responsibility is to help such victims through those trying times. If the idea does not augor well, the individual can confide in a close and trusted friend. A problem shared is half solved. Secondly, I'd advise, more like persuade the individual to engage in activities he/she delights in. Such activities will aid in combating the trauma associated with abuse.
elivia05
Currently Reading:

Post by elivia05 »

kennedibmth wrote: 09 Apr 2018, 18:52 Dealing with the trauma from abuse is complex and a different experience for everyone. Counseling and talking it out helps a lot but everyone must take their own path.
Mudasaar-ramzan
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Mudasaar-ramzan »

I suggest if u join a good company the people who dislikes the abusive language they can change ur this habbit by making u realize that its not a good thing and it is out of manners and against ur status..so the person will feel shame and day by day will get rid of this.....
Cardinalsparrow
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cardinalsparrow.html
Latest Review: Devil in False Colors by Jack Winnick

Post by Cardinalsparrow »

For me the only way to overcome abuse and trauma is to talk to someone about it with a determination to overcome and move on with your life.
Mallory Porshnev
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Moloka'i
Bookshelf Size: 332
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pricklypurple.html
Latest Review: The Paradize Inn by Sheri O'Sullivan

Post by Mallory Porshnev »

Of course, finding a refuge in art or channeling your energy into something positive is a good way to deal with abuse. However, I think this could also be considered avoiding the issue. Sometimes terrible situations need to be acknowledged and not ignored in order to truly heal.

Return to “Discuss "Ironbark Hill" by Jennie Linnane”