Overall rating and opinion of "Ironbark Hill" by Jennie Linnane

Use this forum to discuss the April 2018 Book of the Month, "Ironbark Hill" by Jennie Linnane
danopsy
Favorite Book: The Different Kinds Of Monsters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danopsy.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "Ironbark Hill" by Jennie Linnane

Post by danopsy »

The book is really ane for the young and its inspirational. i like nathy! a strong character
danopsy
Currently Reading:

Post by danopsy »

FilmStar wrote: 04 Apr 2018, 12:56 I thought the book was decent but not good enough to be a book of the month. I liked the character of Natalie in how strong she was but I didn't really care for the turnout of the book. Natalie was the only character that I truly cared about. I don't think I'll recommend this book to anyone.
Really? is the book not up to the level? suprised you saying u cant recommend it. why?
Ktwills79
Currently Reading: Mistress Bradstreet
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ktwills79.html
Latest Review: The Elf Archive - Book Two of the Magi Charter by Jordan David
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by Ktwills79 »

I can relate to this book on several levels--as the oldest of three children I often played the parent to my younger sisters. My mother can be very distant emotionally due to how she was raised, so I've gone through life looking for that maternal connection in other relationships. Natalie sounds like a character that's easy to relate to and feel sorry for, yet she has so much strength that it does her a disservice to treat her as the victim.
Spath
Currently Reading: Decide Success
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spath.html
Latest Review: If life stinks get your head outta your buts by Mark L. Wdowiak

Post by Spath »

I haven't read this book yet, but after reading the review I have changed my mind. I am looking forward to squeezing it in with the other books I want to read.
There is nothing to writing. All you have to do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed.
Ernest Hemingway
Spath
Currently Reading: Decide Success
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spath.html
Latest Review: If life stinks get your head outta your buts by Mark L. Wdowiak

Post by Spath »

Hcurtis wrote: 12 May 2018, 14:09 I think this book is inspirational and eyeopening for those that are in the situation of living in abusive environments and for those that are looking at helping those in abusive environments. To be able to see through the eyes of Natalie helped to get the abuse's point of view, especially if there is no way from them to leave the situation due to age or feeling a sense that you have to help protect the others in the home.

When it came to her mother's inability to leave her husband and unable to protect her children from his cruelty, I kind of sympathize with her. They live in the country with less support and if I am not mistaken it, it occurred in an era before services were formed to protect them and women had little to no rights but to try to protect their kids as best as possible.
I haven't read the book yet, but many post bring up the abusive step father and behavior of the mother in the situation. I realize to some and myself it is difficult to understand why a mother would allow abuse to her children. I have come to believe that people have been given stuff that makes them who they are and how they respond to any given situation and some have not been given much. You can only give what you have. If that makes any sense.
There is nothing to writing. All you have to do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed.
Ernest Hemingway
Charlaigne
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlaigne.html
Latest Review: Reaching the Shore by Davin Jake Douma and BonnieJane Hall

Post by Charlaigne »

I grew up in an abusive home and after reading the reviews, I look forward to getting a copy of this to read. I appreciate all the reviews and comments here. I would not have considered the book otherwise.
Leyla
Currently Reading: Banished Threads
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leyla.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Leyla »

Sounds like a really good book based on the review and the discussions above. To draw inspiration from a book is a good accomplishment.
GathuaM
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gathuam.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by GathuaM »

gali wrote: 01 Apr 2018, 01:37 This is a discussion topic for the April 2018 Book of the Month, "Ironbark Hill" by Jennie Linnane

What is your overall opinion of the "Ironbark Hill"? What do you like most about it? What do you like least? Will you recommend the book to other people? Why or why not?

Please remember to add your actual rating using the book's page on
Bookshelves.
It is a good book. The tale actually depicts what happens in real life. I would recommend the book.
Leyla
Currently Reading: Banished Threads
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leyla.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Leyla »

This is a really good book. An inspiration to many who is or has had to go through a similar situation. It is growing more common nowadays for mother's to distance themselves emotionally from their children, leaving the eldest to 'fill in the gap'.
Amy+++
Favorite Book: The Mister
Currently Reading: Last Chance Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 218
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B01CRGNO4S

Post by Amy+++ »

I want to read the book as the reviews have made it out to be good. But the events that happen in the book I don't know if I could bring myself to finish reading the book.
Jmar_la
Currently Reading: Toxic Side Effect
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jmar-la.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

Post by Jmar_la »

Re: Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane
I gave this book a 4 out of 4 star rating, not only for the content, but also the creative writing of it. She used very well thought out vocabulary, finding unique ways to express herself which helped for form a picture of what she was trying to relate in the story. The descriptions of places, people, gave a
wonderful, interesting idea of each those things. It was set in Australia and therefore, much of the writing included vocabulary unique to the country. Also, when there was dialogue, it was expressions unique to the class of people who lived in the area.
Aditi1992
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aditi1992.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Aditi1992 »

Sounds like an inspirational book. When you read about a kid who just becomes mature in small age because of the challenges life throws in her way, it teaches you to be responsible. Thanks for the review!
danopsy
Currently Reading:

Post by danopsy »

This book is worth been the book of the month with Natalia a strong character and good story line. A must read book for all
Harzelryan
Favorite Book: The Hand Bringer
Currently Reading: A Kingdom's Cost
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harzelryan.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Harzelryan »

I really enjoyed the book. It is an inspirational book and I will strongly recommend it to everyone out there.
Amy+++
Favorite Book: The Mister
Currently Reading: Last Chance Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 218
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B01CRGNO4S

Post by Amy+++ »

So sad what happens to her, but hopefully she will come out stronger because of it.

Return to “Discuss "Ironbark Hill" by Jennie Linnane”