Views on profanity

Use this forum to discuss the March 2018 Book of the Month, "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher.
Jennifer Fernandez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-fernandez.html
Latest Review: The Enemy In Me by Jacob Newell Campbell

Re: Views on profanity

Post by Jennifer Fernandez »

Profanity is just an extension of our language. It keeps the book real. In my opinion, it doesn't have that much profanity.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. - H.P. Lovecraft :techie-studyinggray:
Mindy Conahye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindy-conahye.html
Latest Review: WIND by Ellen Dee Davidson

Post by Mindy Conahye »

I didn't feel like there was an overuse of profanity in the book. I've read other books with a lot more. I think I would rather just have the words there than the asterisk though.
Mac :techie-reference:
HollandBlue
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollandblue.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by HollandBlue »

It's okay once in a while, but I don't like it when it's used a lot. It seemed okay in 'Final Notice' to me.
:techie-studyinggray: when I get a little money I buy books; and if I have any left l buy food and clothes
Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamas
(1466-1536)
jjmainor
Currently Reading: The House Where Evil Dwells...Thirteen Tells
Bookshelf Size: 171
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jjmainor.html
Latest Review: Beyond Cloud Nine (Beyond Saga Book 1) by Greg Spry

Post by jjmainor »

Profanity didn't stick out to me. As an author, usage depends on what kind of feel you're going with for the book, and how young of a reader you want to lure into your story.
Theresa Moffitt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theresa-moffitt.html
Latest Review: Royal Gossip by Trisha Goodwin
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 30%

Post by Theresa Moffitt »

I think profanity is realistic as long as it’s not over used. Sometimes I think it takes away from the story but is realistic when attributed to a character and their way of speaking
Tzara Drusak
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tzara-drusak.html
Latest Review: Happy Healing by Dominique Bourlet

Post by Tzara Drusak »

The inclusion of asterisks for me would detract from the whole point of the message I assume you're trying to transmit. What I appreciated about Final Notice was its basic lack of censorship - it being loud and attention-grabby with the details of the scenes and whatnot. Not saying that profanities are an instrumental part of making a book 'good' or reducing the alleged boring quality that some books inevitably have, but I feel that the aggressive undertone aids in expressing the brutality of reality and abuse concerning guns and all that that the novel pounced on.
And in the end, we were all just humans... Drunk on the idea that love, only love, could heal our brokenness.

-F. Scott Fitzgerald-
Robby Chandra
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Robby Chandra »

dirty words must be omitted in the book, because this does not educate the right, maybe some people do not mind but there are some people who object to dirty words!
DakotaA
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dakotaa.html
Latest Review: Purgatory's Angel by B Hughes-Millman

Post by DakotaA »

I personally don't mind profanity in literature, but I understand what it might do to your range of target audience. I suppose just make it realistic and appropriate to the character's personality.
Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus
labibliofile
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-labibliofile.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by labibliofile »

As long as profanity displays what the character is feeling at the moment and is not used unnecessarily and excessively, I think it should be fine. However, using asterisks seem pointless unless you have censorship issues.
"Growth is the essence of life."
Renu G
Currently Reading: Masters and Bastards
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renu-g.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola

Post by Renu G »

I was concerned about some of the words and phrases when I read the book. I felt they were disrespectful to the dignity of some of the characters and could have been avoided.
Atara Miles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atara-miles.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Atara Miles »

A lot of readers complain about profanity. I feel that as long as it fits the scenario, it has its place. I wouldn't expect a group of God-fearing dutiful churchgoers to be cursing up a storm but if I find my characters in a dingy bar full of drunken louts with high tempers I wouldn't be too surprised. Given the fact that the central focus of the book is gun related which has a lot of diverse opinions and beliefs, one would expect there to be at least one or two chapters with profanity. I didn't see where they were just randomly inserted simply for the shock value and seemed like a decent amount to me.
Namaste23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-namaste23.html
Latest Review: Did you know by Ashok Bhaskaran

Post by Namaste23 »

I don't think you need to use asterisks. Your characters are expressing themselves. It doesn't bother me at all.
koffi Malay
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-koffi-malay.html
Latest Review: Mryyh for Mafia Men by C.R. Fulton

Post by koffi Malay »

I believe using profanity in art can be very effective. It can convey the tension, rage, frustration, or any other strong emotions that a character might be feeling. If done excessively, it might start to lose its meaning.
Carlos Mata Saenz
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carlos-mata-saenz.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Carlos Mata Saenz »

It should be a difference between using a profanity because it adds something, as to emphasise something (for example, the change within Vince’s personality), and when the profanity doesn’t contribute to the reader’s experience. With this book, I think we move in the first scenario,
I would not use the asterisks, I feel it looks probably worse, as everyone still perceive the profanity and it breaks the sense of continuity of the text.
You did a really good job with this book.
Ngozi mouau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ngozi-mouau.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Ngozi mouau »

Profanity in storytelling can indeed be used effectively when employed sparingly and appropriately within the dialogue of certain characters. It can add a sense of realism and authenticity to their portrayal, reflecting the way people actually speak in certain contexts. However, excessive or indiscriminate use of profanity can become distracting and detract from the overall narrative. It is important to strike a balance, ensuring that profanity serves a purpose in enhancing character development or emphasizing specific emotions, while still maintaining a cohesive and engaging story for the reader or viewer.

Return to “Discuss "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher”