Does anyone agree with Rasha's choice during the school shooting?

Use this forum to discuss the March 2018 Book of the Month, "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher.
FilmStar
Currently Reading: Rich and Pretty
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-filmstar.html
Latest Review: My Author Is Dead by Michel Bruneau
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Does anyone agree with Rasha's choice during the school shooting?

Post by FilmStar »

Rasha locks the shooter in the classroom with the children which apparently helped the police shoot him down. How does that make sense that Rasha is considered a hero after this? Who would lock an armed man in a classroom with children and think that's a good idea? And yet when the conservative news station in the book mentioned this, we're supposed to believe their insensitive whereas I think they were right that while Rasha's choice may have worked well in her favor, it doesn't seem realistic to me.
Gabrielle Reanne
Currently Reading: Buffy Season Eight
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabrielle-reanne.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Gabrielle Reanne »

I understand why she was then considered a hero: because by locking him in, she reduced the potential number of victims (rather than if he had been able to assault children in all the other classrooms as well). However, I agree that it is a hard choice and that choosing between the lives of 300 children and the 20 of the children in that particular classroom is perhaps not the choice I would have made, had I been put in a similar situation. Either way it's a tough choice, and it luckily worked out very well in the book, where the shooter chose to fiddle with the lock rather than shoot the children that were available to him. It may be unrealistic in the book, but the situation is even more difficult in real life and I know some people who might have chosen the same course that Rasha did.
dtb
Currently Reading: A Darker Shade of Magic
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dtb.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley

Post by dtb »

I can't imagine doing that, but I also can't imagine what it would be like to be in that situation at all. I doubt there would be lots of great options available to choose from.
Christal Merkey
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 740
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christal-merkey.html
Latest Review: Advanced Lotto Rotation System by Joseph Z Vlasic
2024 Reading Goal: 4
2024 Goal Completion: 25%

Post by Christal Merkey »

If it were me, I would have locked him in an empty room so nobody would be hurt. I haven't read this book yet, but by the question here, we have a school shooting going on and a girl had to make a quick decision, so she put him in a classroom full of kids. I mean, your mind goes into fight-or-flight mode and you don't know what to think.
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane

Post by kfwilson6 »

CLM1978 wrote: 14 May 2018, 12:28 If it were me, I would have locked him in an empty room so nobody would be hurt. I haven't read this book yet, but by the question here, we have a school shooting going on and a girl had to make a quick decision, so she put him in a classroom full of kids. I mean, your mind goes into fight-or-flight mode and you don't know what to think.
If I remember correctly, he was already in the classroom when Rasha was going down the hall. She knew the doors locked from the outside, so by closing the door, she could lock him in. It wasn't like she lured him into the room or anything like that. it was either lock him in THAT room, or give him access to the building.

I had a hard time with accepting her decision too. Fortunately, things work out however the author wants when it's a work of fiction. If the kids in that room had been killed, I don't think she would have been labeled a hero.
shidawn
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shidawn.html
Latest Review: Jonny the boy from the road by J.n.stephenson

Post by shidawn »

When I read it, I thought that it was an odd choice. While it did work out well for Rasha and others in the end, I felt like running into another room and alerting others that there was a shooter would have made more sense. If it's like other schools, the classrooms would have gone into lockdown once people knew that there was a shooter on-campus. That also would have saved lives. Plus, it seemed a little weird that the classroom locked from the outside and that she had time to lock the door before the shooter realized what had happened.
MollyEnter
Currently Reading: The Altitude Journals
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mollyenter.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by MollyEnter »

I was also perplexed by Rasha's choice. Did she really have enough time to think that she was saving lives by locking the shooter in? What if the shooter had just decided to kill every single student in that room instead of messing with the lock? What if it had turned into a hostage situation? Seemed like Rasha wad just trying to keep herself safe... Not that she was being selfish, but rather her self-preservation instincts kicked in.
"There is something about words. In expert hands, manipulated deftly, they take you prisoner.”
– Diane Setterfield, The Thirteenth Tale
[Valerie Allen]
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 773
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-allen.html
Latest Review: Utopia Project by Billy Dering

Post by [Valerie Allen] »

That's a very good point of view! Why add insult to injury? It certainly is one of the worst case scenarios written.
And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. (Revelation 20:12 (NKJV) :reading-7:
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

Currently in schools, students are being taught to counter an attacker. So in reality the kids would be throwing things at the shooter and climbing out the window to escape. Truth is stranger than fiction.
holsam_87
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 1691
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by holsam_87 »

I think Rasha made a very good choice to shut the shooter in a classroom. By doing so, she reduced the number of casualties. At the district that I work at as a sub, the district staff was taught to take a bat and swing it at the attacker as hard as they could, because you never know.
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
CheyenneR
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cheyenner.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Post by CheyenneR »

I'm on the fence about this one. While I feel that this might have worked well in the book, in real life it would be incredibly controversial. On one hand, we have a woman possibly saving countless lives. On the other hand, we have a woman locking an armed shooter in a classroom with children. I think if I had to pick I would say she did the right thing by locking him in.
chupke07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chupke07.html
Latest Review: Metaphase by Mitchel Street

Post by chupke07 »

The good of the many over the good of the few. While she locked a few children in with a shooter, she also saved the rest of the school from being subjected to being in danger. She also deliberately slammed the door so that he knew he was locked in and was more distracted with trying to escape than injuring anyone else. She made a difficult decision in a terrifying situation, and I believe should be considered a hero.
Mallory Porshnev
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Moloka'i
Bookshelf Size: 332
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pricklypurple.html
Latest Review: The Paradize Inn by Sheri O'Sullivan

Post by Mallory Porshnev »

I completely think she made the right choice. I think it would be very hard to do that in the heat of the moment though. No one wants to live with the guilt of lives on their hands. That's why people would rather let the shooter go around the whole school shooting up people and blame it on him rather than take the responsibility on themselves of f=the fewer lives locked in the room.
Storm+
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings
Bookshelf Size: 100
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-storm.html
Latest Review: The Promise of Whiteness: Its Past and Its Future by Martha R. Bireda

Post by Storm+ »

Locking the shooter in the room was probably the best choice Rasha could have made given the circumstances, but if I were in that situation, I don't think I could have taken the risk that the shooter would kill the classroom. Rather than locking the shooter in immediately, I would have run into the room and shut the door behind me, locking us both in. At least then, I could die knowing that I did everything I could to stop the children from getting hurt.
Jennifer Fernandez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-fernandez.html
Latest Review: The Enemy In Me by Jacob Newell Campbell

Post by Jennifer Fernandez »

In the fantasy world of the book, it seemed to miraculously work. In a real-life situation, it would be a very irresponsible decision.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. - H.P. Lovecraft :techie-studyinggray:

Return to “Discuss "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher”