This book and kids

Use this forum to discuss the March 2018 Book of the Month, "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher.
Calidroz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-calidroz.html
Latest Review: Puffy and the Formidable Foe by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Re: This book and kids

Post by Calidroz »

Irishmom wrote: 11 Apr 2018, 05:44 When my son was in the fourth grade, his multi-age class was given The Hunger Games to read. Parents of children in the class under 12 were asked to sign permission for the children to read it. I decided to let him read it, but I read it with him, chapter by chapter, and we discussed it, mostly for me to make sure he was handling it ok. It was a great experience, and we ultimately read all three books in the series and went to see the movie together. I would be comfortable with my kids reading Final Notice, as I have read it already and can speak to it's themes.
I love that you did that. It really is the best way to read something that has a more mature topic. I hope to do this with my kids when they get a little older! Because really, who knows what they'll be reading one day! We have a small window of opportunity to be involved in the discussion now.

Thanks for sharing!
nobunkum
Currently Reading: The Caucasus
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nobunkum.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by nobunkum »

I would find a better book for a child to read that was more balanced. This book is meant to be a social commentary but it is very limited in the scope of discussion regarding the topic. I would want my child to read something (on any issue) that did a better job of explaining why the issue is as complex and it is.
Irishmom
Currently Reading: Heartaches 3
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-irishmom.html
Latest Review: The Lost Identity Casualties by Kim Ekemar

Post by Irishmom »

nobunkum wrote: 16 Apr 2018, 17:02 I would find a better book for a child to read that was more balanced. This book is meant to be a social commentary but it is very limited in the scope of discussion regarding the topic. I would want my child to read something (on any issue) that did a better job of explaining why the issue is as complex and it is.
I see your point. This author's opinion was mostly one-sided. I think I would, after he read it, discuss it and pose the opposing view so he could see it from other perspectives.
"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. "~Groucho Marx
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

Children today are so mature. I think the mechanics of this book can be explained to them. They really need to know the positives and the negatives of having a gun.
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

I would not suggest the book to young children, but I think teenagers can and should handle it. This book is a thought-provoking one which might help them develop their own ideals and views regarding the critical issues described in the book.
Mildred Tabitha
Currently Reading: The Good Fight
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mildred-tabitha.html
Latest Review: Bleeding Gull - look, feel, fly by Raed Anis Aljishi

Post by Mildred Tabitha »

I strongly won't recommend this book for kids. Kids especially young boys love action and using guns especially toys is much exciting to them. They can still read the book if they want to but I don't want any of them to see using guns as a good thing.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by Kibet Hillary »

It may not b good for them but nowadays the exposure to some things come through several doors of which the television and movies are greta contributors to this.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
strawberrysab
Currently Reading: The Keeper of Lost Things
Bookshelf Size: 161
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-strawberrysab.html
Latest Review: Maddy's Wings by Jan porter

Post by strawberrysab »

I don't think this book is suitable for young children, regardless of their maturity, but teenagers should definitely read it, especially nowadays, with guns being sadly a common issue.
Berry :wine:
love_b00ks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-love-b00ks.html
Latest Review: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace by Julie Penshorn

Post by love_b00ks »

I would have to read it first before I could say anything about it but I am having second thoughts about doing so with it talking about guns. My husband and I have contrasting views about this topic and I am extremely against it. I don't think there is a way I could be convinced otherwise.
kwahu
Favorite Author: Kathleen Geiger
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kwahu.html
Latest Review: The Ripples Spread by Fay Spurgin
fav_author_id: 73488

Post by kwahu »

I think it won't hurt if the kids get to know about issues to do with guns. With supervision, they should grow knowing the positive and the negative sides about guns. It would be devastating if they find out about guns at age 18 when they have limited contact with parents.
AmySmiles
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

I don't believe this book would be appropriate for young children but 14 or 15 and up should be fine with it. It is good for teenagers to read and sort out their own beliefs. Giving them books with various topics and then giving them the chance to discuss it is a good idea in my opinion.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
kwame1977
Currently Reading: The Vatican Protocol
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kwame1977.html
Latest Review: Learn to Play Guitar by Gareth Evans

Post by kwame1977 »

It wouldn't be appropriate for children to read this book. Let's feed children with what is meant for them.
stalliongirlke
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stalliongirlke.html
Latest Review: Learn to Play Guitar by Gareth Evans

Post by stalliongirlke »

The book sounds too mature for kids. I dont think it would be suitable for them
Erick Bixen
Currently Reading: It's Time to Align
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erick-bixen.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Erick Bixen »

zilizopita1998 wrote: 09 Apr 2018, 10:51 This book may just be appropriate for kids, especially boys, because they do love things to do with guns e.g Action movies
This sounds true. Children who like action movies will like it.
Erick Bixen
Currently Reading: It's Time to Align
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erick-bixen.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Erick Bixen »

zilizopita1998 wrote: 09 Apr 2018, 10:52 To girls, it may not please them since most girls do not love to identify with guns.
I equally agree with this.

Return to “Discuss "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher”