This book and kids

Use this forum to discuss the March 2018 Book of the Month, "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher.
holsam_87
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 1691
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Re: This book and kids

Post by holsam_87 »

Considering how teens have been involved in discussions about guns since the shooting in Florida, I think that it would be beneficial for teenagers to read Final Notice. It would spark great conversations not only with parents, but perhaps with English classes. Plus it would probably work in the Current World Problems class that most high school seniors are expected to take.
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

Because the book is so political and fairly one-sided, I would want to discuss it with my teen and give them a chance to see other viewpoints.
Lundemelia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lundemelia.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Lundemelia »

Depending on the maturity of the child/ teenager I think this book could be read by anyone, they just have to be able to understand the idea around the gun and be mature enough to see it as fictional writing.
dtb
Currently Reading: A Darker Shade of Magic
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dtb.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by dtb »

Kids today know all about gun violence. They are doing "active shooter" drills in elementary school. I think a book like this can provide a way for adults and young readers to have a productive conversation about guns, gun safety, and unintended consequences.
meadhbh
Currently Reading: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meadhbh.html
Latest Review: The Last Rite by Chad Morgan

Post by meadhbh »

I know for me personally, I read lots of books that might have been considered "inappropriate" for my age. I think it very much depends on the maturity level of the child. But books can definitely be a great way to spark a conversation about a particular issue.
SammiArch
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sammiarch.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by SammiArch »

I don't think there is a specific age or gender a child should be to read this. I think it depends on the parents continuous involvement discussing such serious subjects, like gun control, if the parent/child decides to read that type of literature, the maturity of the child and the childs actual interest about the subject.
Sammi Arch
Rosemary Okoko
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-okoko.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Post by Rosemary Okoko »

I think this book can be read by kids depending on their age. Parents should then give them their piece of advise. Girls are unlikely to enjoy reading it.
Cenk
Currently Reading: When No One Else Believed
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cenk.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Cenk »

A high-schooler might readily read such a book. Even elementary school kids are already used to playing "shoot-that-man" games on computers and smartphones and able to have access to "blood-n-gore" movies without parental supervision. But when people get real guns and start attacking others, this is not a result of movies or computer games. I totally agree with Michael Moore; those trigger happy murderers are a result of living in fear. A society living in fear cannot stop these killing sprees.
Palfree
Currently Reading: Holly and Homiicide
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-palfree.html
Latest Review: The Thundering Herd by John E. Peltier

Post by Palfree »

It depends on the age and maturity of the child. If a parent wants their child to read this book, they should read it together. This would allow the parent to be aware of the child's reaction. It be important for parents to discuss it with their child.
Snowflake
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-snowflake.html
Latest Review: Don't Think Twice by Barbara Schoichet

Post by Snowflake »

It's always tough to comment generally when it comes to kids, teens, and books with difficult topics. I think it depends on the child and the people in his or her life. I think that some mature guidance would be of great benefit to any child/teen reading this book.
peace starts with a smile...
love_b00ks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-love-b00ks.html
Latest Review: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace by Julie Penshorn

Post by love_b00ks »

It is good if it allows conversations like that to start with our kids. It enables us to see their point of view and share our with them, so that we can see eye-to-eye.
Amondi Oluoch
Favorite Book: Trip to Adele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amondi-oluoch.html
Latest Review: Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

Post by Amondi Oluoch »

I don't think it's a really nice book for kids as it may probe issues with gun handling.
When it comes to directing the world to work with you, age doesn't matter, race doesn't matter, origin doesn't matter.
Jsatarain
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Jsatarain »

Its very interesting to read but i highly recommend it to the boys that are 15 or above that age
nikkyteewhy
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Currently Reading: Dues
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nikkyteewhy.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by nikkyteewhy »

I would not recommend this book to kids. Though I will like to hear their opinion on gun control.
Helpme71
Favorite Book: The Cruel Romance
Currently Reading: Last Shot
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helpme71.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by Helpme71 »

I think that, if the parents feel that their kid is mature enough to handle this type of book, then the kid should be allowed to read it. However, I also believe that the parents should have the discussion with their children as well about the current gun issues we constantly hear about, so that the children will not simply have a fictional or one-sided knowledge of gun issues.
"Education is the most powerful weapon we can use to change the world." -Nelson Mandela

"Ye are our epistle, written in our hearts, known and read of all men;" -2 Corinthians 3:2 (ASV)

Return to “Discuss "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher”