Is gun really the answer?

Use this forum to discuss the March 2018 Book of the Month, "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher.
pinklover
Currently Reading: The Everett Exorcism
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pinklover.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Is gun really the answer?

Post by pinklover »

Even if it is not too late to protect yourself, your family and friends. Is a gun really the answer for self-defense? How can you justify it with the author's point? :?:
When everything seems too late, but it's not. God is there! Just keep on believing Jesus.
mbray22
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by mbray22 »

I feel like depending on what the situation is, yes a gun is the answer if it’s your only option...however if there is another way to protect yourself, friends or family then it should be done that way..
Misael Carlos
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Sins of a Master Race
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 213
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-misael-carlos.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Misael Carlos »

I don't believe there should be a gun inside one's house because if it falls under the wrong hands, it could be lethal.
Jeyasivananth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeyasivananth.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Jeyasivananth »

I would never agree to gun being the answer. I am sure the adversities of gun misuse or falling into the wrong hands exceed intelligent and responsible use of guns. Societies can thrive and flourish without guns.
britt13
Currently Reading: the last of the really great wangdoodlea
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britt13.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by britt13 »

I personally think that I could never use a gun even in self-defense. I have similar thoughts to Vince in the book, I think about could I pull the trigger if I needed to. My response is always no though. So much misuse of guns happens in this country. I could never forgive myself if my gun would cause harm to anyone, so why would I have one?
Camille Turner
Currently Reading: Angela's Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-camille-turner.html
Latest Review: Hippocrates and The Hobgoblin: The Sedes Infernum by C.S. Colvin

Post by Camille Turner »

I don't know if a gun is ever the answer. I've been an expat for the last few years living in countries where guns are banned and I don't ever feel unsafe. On the contrary, I feel safer because I never hear stories of accidental shootings, school shootings, etc. (except when my news alert seems to go off every day with a story of one back home in the States). If other countries can protect themselves without guns, Americans can too. The one difficulty that lies in this is perhaps that as guns are already allowed in the States, people question whether they need a gun to defend themselves from someone else with a gun. That's a tough one.
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

britt13 wrote: 13 Mar 2018, 14:15 I personally think that I could never use a gun even in self-defense. I have similar thoughts to Vince in the book, I think about could I pull the trigger if I needed to. My response is always no though. So much misuse of guns happens in this country. I could never forgive myself if my gun would cause harm to anyone, so why would I have one?
Well said. I feel the same. My husband has been pushing me and pushing me to learn how to shoot so that I can defend myself. I constantly tell him, I would probably end up dead because I don't think I could shoot anyone. I can't even imagine punching someone and, coming from me, that probably wouldn't be very deadly.

Where I live, we have had so many instances of kids going to school with guns and threatening to bring a gun. The idea of guns just doesn't sit well with me at all.
kwame1977
Currently Reading: The Vatican Protocol
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kwame1977.html
Latest Review: Learn to Play Guitar by Gareth Evans

Post by kwame1977 »

Gun can never be the answer. Taking protective measures is the first rule. I believe the gun is for drug addicts.
Dolor
Favorite Author: Craig R. Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12473
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dolor.html
Latest Review: The Center of Gravity by Patricia Brandon
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 115430

Post by Dolor »

pinklover wrote: 12 Mar 2018, 07:05 Even if it is not too late to protect yourself, your family and friends. Is a gun really the answer for self-defense? How can you justify it with the author's point? :?:
Obviously, not only a gun is the answer. The old times use slings and spears, while the contemporary warfare uses bombs and cannons. 😄

Kidding aside... I still believe in peace talks and other diplomatic approach. ♡
Samisah
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samisah.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by Samisah »

Guns are soelmetimes a life saver in self defense issues. I am saying this from experience.
Tsundoku_diva
Currently Reading: Raising Catholic Children
Bookshelf Size: 1074

Post by Tsundoku_diva »

I do not like comparisons but there are few countries who had no recent gun problem. Self-defense? In Japan, people taught themselves martial arts for self-defense. I had a lot of colleagues who claimed that learning martial arts is not only learning how to defend and attack physically but also learn how to do self-control (emotional awareness).

I believe this is what most of us need and if they can do it, we sure can do, too!
pinklover
Currently Reading: The Everett Exorcism
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pinklover.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by pinklover »

Misael wrote: 13 Mar 2018, 07:18 I don't believe there should be a gun inside one's house because if it falls under the wrong hands, it could be lethal.
Your right! It is the disadvantage of a gun.
When everything seems too late, but it's not. God is there! Just keep on believing Jesus.
starshipsaga
Currently Reading: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings
Bookshelf Size: 2024
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-starshipsaga.html
Latest Review: Secrets of the Dead by Murray Bailey

Post by starshipsaga »

I personally have no love for guns. But as much as I want to believe guns are never the answer, just to play devil's advocate, if you are in a situation (like a break-in, or an attack) where you are faced with a gun-toting maniac threatening to kill you and your loved ones, you would have little chance of survival even if you were trained in self-defense or have less lethal forms of weaponry at your disposal. In a society where guns are everywhere, this is the disheartening reality and it's why I believe many feel they need to arm themselves even if they have never considered it before, because it's the only chance at self defense when the bad guys will always have the guns.
holsam_87
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 1691
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by holsam_87 »

Guns shouldn't be the only answer for protection, mainly because not everyone with access to the guns in a household will know how to use them. There are other ways to handle attacks, you just need to have the innovation and thought process to look for an alternative that won't end in a death. If you have exhausted all other options, then using a gun is the only way to go and that would only be for someone that knows how to use the gun in question.
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
authorswrite
Currently Reading: From Hill Town to Strieby
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by authorswrite »

Guns are the only answer and you know why I say that? Because the 2nd amendment says so. There is no other way to protect your family.

Return to “Discuss "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher”