When does personal responsibility become a part of the question?

Use this forum to discuss the March 2018 Book of the Month, "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher.
CheyenneR
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cheyenner.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Re: When does personal responsibility become a part of the question?

Post by CheyenneR »

I think that several of the characters are responsible. Especially Vince and Trudi, they were very much against what was happening in the media but then at one point, they thought they could fix the problem the same way it started.
chupke07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chupke07.html
Latest Review: Metaphase by Mitchel Street

Post by chupke07 »

Personal responsibility is the main culprit, therefore the shooter is responsible. The point the author is trying to make is the easy access to such dangerous weapons can make a bad decision a deadly one. There is one character who turns in all of her guns to be destroyed, not harming a single person.
Mindy Conahye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindy-conahye.html
Latest Review: WIND by Ellen Dee Davidson

Post by Mindy Conahye »

I think ultimately it is the shooter's responsibility. They have options. They choose to shoot. They could let the law do their job, they could pass peacefully, but they chose to shoot. Yes, guns tend to be available to just about anyone, but there are things done to try and keep that from happening. But if we make laws stricter for regular people to get guns, it will just make criminals search harder to find ways around it all to obtain guns illegally.
Mac :techie-reference:
jjmainor
Currently Reading: The House Where Evil Dwells...Thirteen Tells
Bookshelf Size: 171
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jjmainor.html
Latest Review: Beyond Cloud Nine (Beyond Saga Book 1) by Greg Spry

Post by jjmainor »

kfwilson6 wrote: 08 Mar 2018, 09:34 I've heard people refer to objects as EVIL, commonly anti-gun folks will refer to firearms that way. But it's not the gun that is evil. The gun is just a thing sitting in someone's safe, perfectly neutral. It is the action of the user that can be deemed evil. So for that reason I would say the manufacturer of the gun is not to blame for what happens after it is purchased. It is solely the responsibility of the user. People can own guns for so many reasons: hunting, shooting competitions, personal protection, law enforcement/security type job. I very strongly believe in taking responsibility for one's own actions and in every case in Final Notice, I solely blamed the shooter. I didn't blame Vitaltech for the Final Notice alert, I didn't blame the NRA for their marketing efforts, I didn't blame the gun manufacturers and sellers.

I do think it is a great moral choice to intervene if negative outcomes seem likely. I do believe the NRA was misguided in marketing to a group that may consistent of a large population of people who are not fully capable of making rational decisions. But it was not their fault that anyone was shot.
I couldn't agree more. You cannot live in a free society and shirk the personal responsibility that comes with those freedoms
Jessacardinal
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Jessacardinal »

Personal responsibility should be immediate. With that being said, if you see something say something!
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham
Renu G
Currently Reading: Masters and Bastards
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renu-g.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola

Post by Renu G »

I think all the characters have a responsible role to play. Seniors and their relatives know that they are vulnerable to dementia. Manufacturers of devices and those who promote sales are also responsible.
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

I think the shooter is responsible, but I, also, think that anyone who has a clue that things are going badly for the shooter has a moral obligation to step in and try to help him before it reaches that point.
Namaste23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-namaste23.html
Latest Review: Did you know by Ashok Bhaskaran

Post by Namaste23 »

The shooter is to blame, but there is so much that happened leading up to the event that happened to that person that led to them making that decision. It could be stuff from their childhood all the was to recently developing a mental disorder. It’s more than just waking up one day deciding to go on a shopping spree.
Yvonne Monique
Favorite Book: To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yvonne-monique.html
Latest Review: Healing Depression by C. Daley

Post by Yvonne Monique »

Obviously the shooter is responsible as he can decide to pull the trigger or not. The shooter can have many excuses to actually shoot, blaming other people (parents, teacher, the society, etc.), but he has final responsibility.
J Edwards
Favorite Book: Kalayla
Currently Reading: Global Business in the Age of Transformation
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-j-edwards.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by J Edwards »

Personal responsibility determines how we live our lives whether we get our final notices or not. For context, consider also the people who chose to do the right thing when they got their notices. For me it all boils down each person at an individual level. What are our morals and values? The answer to that will determine how you choose to live and die eventually.
:character-bart:
“We don’t receive wisdom; we must discover it for ourselves after a journey that no one can take for us or spare us.”

French novelist Marcel Proust.
Alexandur Gicov
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexandur-gicov.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Alexandur Gicov »

A topic for a very long reflection, because on the one hand, the culprit is the one who pulls the trigger, but on the other hand, those who can prevent the situation. Because it is mainly not the one who holds the gun that is to blame, but the one who puts it in his hands. Thат is a very discussed issue, and it is difficult to ask from any side and decide who is to blame. It also depends on the situation itself. But mostly, it depends on the man with his hand on the trigger, he makes his own decisions. Whether to take on the dark road or not.
J Edwards
Favorite Book: Kalayla
Currently Reading: Global Business in the Age of Transformation
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-j-edwards.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by J Edwards »

Ultimately, it all comes down to individual morals. I think every individual should be held accountable for his or her actions. On this issue of personal responsibility, I don't think there is any other way around it.
:character-bart:
“We don’t receive wisdom; we must discover it for ourselves after a journey that no one can take for us or spare us.”

French novelist Marcel Proust.
Moneybag
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moneybag.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Moneybag »

V_bansal2912 wrote: 08 Mar 2018, 00:52 The shooter is obviously the main culprit. Sometimes in life, knowingly or unknowingly you take some actions, that could have been avoided. The book really makes you question the decisions you take in life.
I think u have said it all.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Time Before Time
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: All the Targets by Noah Bond
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

Shouldn’t personal responsibility trump everything? No matter what research VitalTech, in general, or Vijay, in particular, does, the ultimate choice belongs to the person who has received the “notice”. Even if law enforcement doesn’t get to do their job, the One in charge will deliver punishment.
Chimezie Agbata
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chimezie-agbata.html
Latest Review: VROOM! Barry, Kari and the Power Boost! by William G Wilberforce III

Post by Chimezie Agbata »

I very much blame the shooter. Different people would behave differently having been told when they will die by the sport watch. while others will take a decision to help charity, bid farewell to loved ones and more, the evil ones choose to take revenge. It was their decision and they are to be blamed for their wrong choice.

Return to “Discuss "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher”