When does personal responsibility become a part of the question?

Use this forum to discuss the March 2018 Book of the Month, "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher.
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: When does personal responsibility become a part of the question?

Post by kfwilson6 »

Quithilion wrote: 14 Mar 2018, 20:51
The responsibility of the FBI is to catch people who commit a crime. Can they prevent someone from committing murder. I guess so but only during the act, if they act before then you get "minority report" connotations and all the controversy that comes with it.

So, as with all aspects of life, the only person with responsibility here is the person who got the final notice.
This is a very good point. Zoe was going to keep track of those who received a Final Notice but what an excessive use of FBI resources. You can't treat people like criminals without just cause. Unfortunately, just cause is a horrible outcome that we wish could be prevented. But Fleisher had Final Notice recipients who could not have been better models of "the right thing to do". It would have been unfair for the FBI to track them through their final days when they had done nothing wrong.
Tobbs
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tobbs.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by Tobbs »

The shooter should really be blamed for the shoot out, because it was a consequence of act.
He holds the gun, if there's anyone who could have averted such calamitous event, without further harm, then it must be the shoooter.
k2rugman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k2rugman.html
Latest Review: Rituals of Season by Giovanna Ess

Post by k2rugman »

The individual shooter should be to blame. They made the choice and they should be held responsible.
Ernie6988
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ernie6988.html
Latest Review: The 11.05 Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by Ernie6988 »

I think the shooter is to blame. People have to take responsibility for their own actions. Its clearly an ultimate choice.
ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reyvrexquestor-reyes.html
Latest Review: Journey by Lindsay Schuster
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by ReyvrexQuestor Reyes »

Everyone has a moral responsibility to do what is right. This is inherent instinctively, given the benign nature of man that Theology teaches. But then, Psychology describes man as a mock-up of emotions, with a mental outlook highly susceptible to the influences of environmental factors, e.g., the stimuli afforded by peers, friends, and foes, and by as much degree of influence, by events.
"In the beginning was the word.........John 1:1"
...To delineate the times that lovers miss,
...A thousand dreams can't beat a single kiss.

-reyvrex (Love Sonnet 107)
n-dai che
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-n-dai-che.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by n-dai che »

ValBookReviews wrote: 19 Mar 2018, 23:11 I agree that corporate profit rarely seem to take responsibility for bearing arms, wherefore, I feel that every character involved could have prevented the situation and are held accountable. "I am my brother’s keeper". :tiphat:
I agree with your point on Biblical view. But in this book, the shooter that needs to be punished, take his lives under his own hand. :(
[Valerie Allen]
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 773
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-allen.html
Latest Review: Utopia Project by Billy Dering

Post by [Valerie Allen] »

Wow... That's amazing.
And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. (Revelation 20:12 (NKJV) :reading-7:
Nena_Morena
Favorite Book: The Notebook
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nena-morena.html
Latest Review: Getting Used to Success by H.J. Shalev

Post by Nena_Morena »

Often we get signs that something may happen, but we make up reasons to excuse ourselves from taking actions to prevent it. So I believe we could be partially responsible, but ultimately the blame is on the shooter since he is the one that makes the choice.
n-dai che
Currently Reading:

Post by n-dai che »

Nena_Morena wrote: 22 Mar 2018, 21:00 Often we get signs that something may happen, but we make up reasons to excuse ourselves from taking actions to prevent it. So I believe we could be partially responsible, but ultimately the blame is on the shooter since he is the one that makes the choice.
You're right ¡ the shooter plays an important role to the problem. Every thing can be solved by wise settlement. If every body knows what is ' peace. '
toribyers13
Currently Reading: A Clash of Kings
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-toribyers13.html
Latest Review: What the River Wants by Arthur Byrd

Post by toribyers13 »

I agree, I felt there were many times in this book where personal responsibility was overlooked. Almost all the blame was placed on the NRA, the "Right-Side", and the media. While I do think they have a level of responsibility, I think at least a little more responsibility should have been placed on the individual in this story.
R-g-R
Currently Reading: The Picketty Problem
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-r-g-r.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by R-g-R »

V_bansal2912 wrote: 08 Mar 2018, 00:52 The shooter is obviously the main culprit. Sometimes in life, knowingly or unknowingly you take some actions, that could have been avoided. The book really makes you question the decisions you take in life.
On the one hand it is true that the shooter bears direct responsibility, however there is so much indirect responsibility, for example, the NRA who push their profit priority, the Government who have agreed to pass legislation after legislation that makes it easier to obtain guns, and the individual senators and members of Congress who have taken significant ‘donations’ (essentially bribes) from the NRA, to ensure they vote as they are told to. Those people also bear direct responsibility for the gun violence, the gun deaths, the school massacres, the concert massacres and the children killing their siblings in anger, etc. Then there are the people sucked in by the marketing and advertising of ‘My First Gun’, ‘Senior’s Discounts’ and the like. Stop and think, people. Just because you can, does not at all mean you should.
n-dai che
Currently Reading:

Post by n-dai che »

toribyers13 wrote: 24 Mar 2018, 17:11 I agree, I felt there were many times in this book where personal responsibility was overlooked. Almost all the blame was placed on the NRA, the "Right-Side", and the media. While I do think they have a level of responsibility, I think at least a little more responsibility should have been placed on the individual in this story.
I got your point as well. :lol: :tiphat: If they don't sale guns on the lowest prize, it won't trigger the Seniors C to do it. They will think, "I'm already old and well-advanced on years, so my life is worth it and its ok to die now.
Bianka Walter
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

I'm a bit torn on this one. By turning on the news, or reading newspapers, people are automatically reminded that there are real things to fear in the world. People are also very susceptible to that fear, and it leads them to want to protect themselves. However, fear can also make a person do irrational things - including buying and ultimately firing a weapon. The point is, fear breeds foolishness and it is society's job to know where the line is. On both ends.
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
n-dai che
Currently Reading:

Post by n-dai che »

Bianka Walter wrote: 25 Mar 2018, 03:09 I'm a bit torn on this one. By turning on the news, or reading newspapers, people are automatically reminded that there are real things to fear in the world. People are also very susceptible to that fear, and it leads them to want to protect themselves. However, fear can also make a person do irrational things - including buying and ultimately firing a weapon. The point is, fear breeds foolishness and it is society's job to know where the line is. On both ends.
Your right! Fear causes trouble that sometimes resulted in anxiety, nervousness and lack of proper thinking. Then, you forgot that the responsibility still lies with you. :(
Tbunde5
Favorite Book: A Column of Fire
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tbunde5.html
Latest Review: Kamel by Charles J Haubner III

Post by Tbunde5 »

Personal responsibility is always key. It is also something that can’t be regulated or legislated. Because we now live in a world that “shoots first”, there are changes that could be made that would make the scenarios in the book much less common.

Return to “Discuss "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher”